UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dailygrind

Diamond

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by dailygrind » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I always wondered if profs would give the lowest grades to the papers that traveled furthest, on the basis that they created more work for the professor to pick up. Even here, there's a lot of murkiness around the grading scheme.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 pm

What happened with Johnson's (I think) test this year. Someone came by each room and said anyone taking that test needed to leave. Something weird.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 pm

edit: no major snafu with Johnston's exam. Just a page missing from some. If you want to know what happened with Kordana's exam last year, ask around. Many 2Ls know.
Last edited by dixon02 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:56 am

Friends don't let friends take PR w/ Cohen.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Heat wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Have now talked to 4 2Ls who are well below median (multiple B-s 1L) yet all 4 had biglaw lined up. I am yet to meet someone without a job lined up. (I am not saying they dont exist, and I know the ones openly talking about being at the bottom are likely those who have jobs line up and not those that dont) but do you guys all feel things are getting better here?
It's self selection. People that don't have jobs don't talk about the fact they don't have jobs. The groups of 2Ls you talk to know which of their friends don't have jobs and try not to bring up summer employment in front of them. Plenty of people with good GPAs and good people skills still don't have jobs. Plenty of people with bad GPAs and good people skills do have jobs.

If your asking are more jobs being given out then in previous years? I have no idea. Are you asking is there still significant unemployment? Yep.
Define "good GPAs"
above median? lol
I was defining it as above median. (Note: I have a job and was not referring to myself.)

Sorry I didn't see this and respond to it earlier.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Friends don't let friends take PR w/ Cohen.
And for those for whom it is too late?

JackReacher

New

Post by JackReacher » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 am

Does anyone know what Laycock's remedy curve is like? I cannot find the info for the life of me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

albanach wrote:
And for those for whom it is too late?
Well I'm screwed. Hopefully everyone else is too.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:55 pm

What was the earliest grade you got back as a 1L? Curious if anyone has ever gotten a grade from 1L that was before the new year? And how do we know when posted? Will we get an email?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:What was the earliest grade you got back as a 1L? Curious if anyone has ever gotten a grade from 1L that was before the new year? And how do we know when posted? Will we get an email?
loooooool. soon you will learn the cloud of cary bennett.

that being said, the earliest i got a grade in 1L was about a week after New Years, and was from the first exam I took. If the deadline for 1L grades is 1/20 (which I think it was last year -- it was 2/1 for me when I was a 1L), then I'd suspect you'd get most of them on the 20th and the week before.

No email (unless the professor sends one out, which I've only seen once for my classes). The standard now seems to be grades get posted at 7:00 PM in SIS. It's better than it used to be, because you only have to check once a day, at 7:01. If there's nothing then, then you have a 24 reprieve. Also, don't expect anything on the weekends or holidays.
Last edited by 5ky on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Exam grades are posted relatively soon after course evals are made public. Odds are overwhelmingly good that someone in your section will be frantically checking on course evals, and will email your section when they're available.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

dailygrind wrote:Exam grades are posted relatively soon after course evals are made public. Odds are overwhelmingly good that someone in your section will be frantically checking on course evals, and will email your section when they're available.
I don't think this happens anymore with the new system. Generally the course eval goes up the day after the grade.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Shit, I had no idea.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Checking grades is for the weak of heart and mind. I still haven't checked my 2L or 3L grades. (/broken record)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

thesealocust wrote:Checking grades is for the weak of heart and mind. I still haven't checked my 2L or 3L grades. (/broken record)
I always took this as a joke.....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:What was the earliest grade you got back as a 1L? Curious if anyone has ever gotten a grade from 1L that was before the new year? And how do we know when posted? Will we get an email?
We had a property class of two sections. We took the exam on the Monday IIRC and I believe he submitted his grades to the SRO on the Thursday afternoon. Grades were up at some point the next week.

He was a visting prof. If you'd like your grades that quickly, you may have to transfer to Georgetown.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm

The grade reporting system is by far the worst part about UVA. I interviewed at a few places last December for 1L SA jobs and a few of the interviewers didn't believe me when I said I wouldn't have all my grades until late-January, early February. I think we're the only school in the country that gets our grades back so late (I know ATL did an article about it last year, one prof. didn't have his grades submitted and it was like late February).

With that said, SRO has been trying to increase the turn-around time for 1L grades. I think just about all 1L grades were released a few days before break ended, and the rest were released within about 3 days after we came back.

My advice would be to do your best not to think about grades over break. You have 5 weeks to literally do nothing. If you've ever worked at a real full time job before, you know how rare that is. You should take advantage of that and not spend your time worrying about something you can't change.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Checking grades is for the weak of heart and mind. I still haven't checked my 2L or 3L grades. (/broken record)
I always took this as a joke.....
Nope. My mom was so pissed at me for not checking 2 years worth of grades that she just started asking my professors when we ran into them at graduation events :lol:

She never bought my philosophical tirade that caring about your performance on pointless exams was meek submission to the law-school industrial complex.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 am

Followed his advice until after summer firm event involving alcoholic drinks. Decided to check grades. Worse than expected but not surprised. Oh well, it didn't matter that much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

Drinking is a sin.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

This.

That is all.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

albanach wrote:
This.

That is all.
Most absurd exam i've ever taken

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm

The biggest question on my mind right now is if UVA is worth the risk. I'm considering applying but if I go, I'm gonna be expecting major loans (150k+). If I don't get a job coming out of law school, I'm in serious trouble (and I might be even if I do get a job). Would you guys recommend taking that risk? And is there any advice on how to get a scholarship to UVA (besides the GPA, LSAT, and URM stuff)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”