UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Just

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Just » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Insight on Movement Lawyering for Global Justice (SC) with Redford? So far only one person enrolled...
Is Legal Issues in Corporate Finance (Law & Business) with Choi B+ heavy?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:45 am

did i read someone post that the 15th was the deadline for 1L grades? maybe i had a whiskey-fever dream, but i hope not. only 1 grade back so far.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

there's a lag between submitting grades and them being posted. can confirm it has taken as long as 5 calendar days

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm

sprezz wrote:there's a lag between submitting grades and them being posted. can confirm it has taken as long as 5 calendar days
They always say this and maybe it's true. But I got 99% of my grades by deadline day. Two came the day after. If today is the deadline day, you should expect to have all/most tonight.

Actually like 75% of my grades came in the submission deadline day over my three years.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm

well i actually dont know if it's the deadline or not. i just looked back through the last couple pages of posts to see where i got the 15th from and it was just something you had guessed at. oh well!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Legen..waitforit

New

Post by Legen..waitforit » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:15 pm

anyone know the grading deadline for 2L and 3L's?

asundialwatch

New

Post by asundialwatch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Has anyone else had issues viewing the course evals? I haven't been able to access any of the ones I've tried to look at.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Where's my money.

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi all- I keep on reading that UVA locks out some students in the on campus interviewing process for biglaw jobs if they aren't in the upper echelon of students GPA wise. Is this true? If so, how does it work and what do y'all think about it? Would appreciate any and all honest opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:27 pm

wsag826 wrote:Hi all- I keep on reading that UVA locks out some students in the on campus interviewing process for biglaw jobs if they aren't in the upper echelon of students GPA wise. Is this true? If so, how does it work and what do y'all think about it? Would appreciate any and all honest opinions.
Huh? That's nonsense. They'll recommend you places where you should target/avoid based on statistical factors, but I have never heard of UVA blackballing anyone from OGI due to their grades. I know quite a few below median friends at OGI that ended up with offers.

Maybe this is talking about the pre-select process in general?

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:32 pm

First Offense wrote:
wsag826 wrote:Hi all- I keep on reading that UVA locks out some students in the on campus interviewing process for biglaw jobs if they aren't in the upper echelon of students GPA wise. Is this true? If so, how does it work and what do y'all think about it? Would appreciate any and all honest opinions.
Huh? That's nonsense. They'll recommend you places where you should target/avoid based on statistical factors, but I have never heard of UVA blackballing anyone from OGI due to their grades. I know quite a few below median friends at OGI that ended up with offers.

So, even if your 1L grades ended up being below the median, you would still have free reign to target whatever firms you'd like to? Sorry if this sounds misinformed...I've been trying to understand the pre-select process but some folks online make it seem like you are essentially locked out of the OGI process without above median grades.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:38 pm

wsag826 wrote:
First Offense wrote:

So, even if your 1L grades ended up being below the median, you would still have free reign to target whatever firms you'd like to? Sorry if this sounds misinformed...I've been trying to understand the pre-select process but some folks online make it seem like you are essentially locked out of the OGI process without above median grades.
Yeah - each firm accepts a certain number of pre-selects/alternates, and the rest are lottery. There's nothing stopping someone who's below median from targeting say Williams and Connolly - doesn't mean it's a smart decision though.

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:52 pm

First Offense wrote:
wsag826 wrote:
First Offense wrote:

Yeah - each firm accepts a certain number of pre-selects/alternates, and the rest are lottery. There's nothing stopping someone who's below median from targeting say Williams and Connolly - doesn't mean it's a smart decision though.
How do you feel about that process in comparison to peer schools? Obviously, if you're in the top percentiles to get preselected it doesn't really matter what other schools do, but presumably if you're not high enough to get preselected you're at a disadvantage compared to folks in similar GPA situations at peer schools without similar systems because everyone kind of enters the lottery on the same footing? Again, this is with very basic knowledge of the process.

And thanks for taking the time to answer my question BTW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 pm

We have a mixed system (preselect and lottery) and I think that works good. From what I have gathered from friends, it seems like callbacks resulted from a good mixture of pre-select, alternate, and lottery interviews.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:30 pm

i haven't looked at other schools processes in like 5 years, but to the poster above: don't compare OGI processes by a simple preselect vs lotto preference. look at each in context. a pure preselect process where only 10% of the class gets biglaw = bad, and really bad where there isn't a real cap on interviews per student. (iirc wustl had some of this going on years ago). this seems to be the fear you express here.

but where 60% of the class gets biglaw preselects can be good in tandem with an interview cap, as it loosely funnels the students at the top to the firms at the top and lets the 40th %ile students vie for the non-elite firms on more even footing.

i didn't have a problem with how UVA did it (tbh didn't have a strong preference). but look at interview caps and larger employment context to start drilling down on your personal preference on OGI processes. i suspect you'll find you don't care a ton either way, but i admire the hustle.

*obviously the numbers used here are just used for illustrative purposes, not to represent the employment reality of any named institution

Madmen321

New

Post by Madmen321 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Anyone have insights on Hellman for Con law or Doran for property? Any supplement recommendations?

Thanks!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:12 pm

If anyone is interested, I am selling the following books:

Textbooks (all have underlining throughout and some margin notes):
Evidence (Sklanksy, 3d edition)
Commentaries and Cases on the Law of Business Organizations (Allen et al, 4th edition)
Property: Principles and Policies (Merrill, Smith, 2d edition)
Constitutional Law (Stone et al, 7th edition)

Supplements (all in "new" condition, no writing):
Examples & Explanations: Evidence (Best, 8th edition)
Acing Evidence (Orenstein)
2012-2013 Statutory Supplement for Commentaries and Cases on the Law of Business Organizations (Allen et al)
Examples & Explanations: Corporations (Palmiter, 7th edition)
Corporate Law (Bainbridge, 2d edition)

PM if interested with a price, I can bundle supplements in with textbooks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

asundialwatch

New

Post by asundialwatch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Any recs for classes to take if you did well first semester and want to protect your GPA?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:17 pm

asundialwatch wrote:Any recs for classes to take if you did well first semester and want to protect your GPA?
Don't take Private Equity and Hedge Funds.

You should think about possibly taking the minimum number of credits to protect your GPA (5 credits on top of ConLaw/Property/LRW). Short courses tend to be B+ heavy. Certain classes may have a higher median because of the students taking it (e.g. Legislation, Fed Courts, etc.). You'll have to ask around more and weigh options.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 am

something you have a head start in; failing that, seminar with research paper that isn't blind graded (any seminar where your paper topic has to be cleared by the prof) and prepare for discussion every week

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 pm

sprezz wrote:something you have a head start in; failing that, seminar with research paper that isn't blind graded (any seminar where your paper topic has to be cleared by the prof) and prepare for discussion every week
i think taking a seminar is an unnecessary risk, they can be a total crapshoot.

to echo somebody above, i think your best chance is to minimize your number of credits and take a 2 credit and a 3 credit. a standard 2 credit PR can be a good choice since half the people in there might be totally checked out.

but if you did well the first semester, you've probably got the hang of the standard issuer spotter and i'd try to seek out more of those.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:22 pm

5ky wrote:
sprezz wrote:something you have a head start in; failing that, seminar with research paper that isn't blind graded (any seminar where your paper topic has to be cleared by the prof) and prepare for discussion every week
i think taking a seminar is an unnecessary risk, they can be a total crapshoot.

to echo somebody above, i think your best chance is to minimize your number of credits and take a 2 credit and a 3 credit. a standard 2 credit PR can be a good choice since half the people in there might be totally checked out.

but if you did well the first semester, you've probably got the hang of the standard issuer spotter and i'd try to seek out more of those.
Agreed. Don't take a seminar your 1L year.

If Yale is teaching FedTax, I'd consider taking that. Also, if you did well with a particular professor, think about taking another class with him/her.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Yes, repeating a professor in which you got an A (or avoiding one in which you got median or below) is generally a pretty good strategy

asundialwatch

New

Post by asundialwatch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Right now I'm signed up for Tax with Mason and a short course. The PR class I could take for 2 credits is full and I'm not sure of other 2 and 3 credit courses that would be good to take. The profs I did well with are teaching paper courses or classes with pre-reqs so unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:31 pm

PM me the professors with whom you did well. I might be able to match you up with some professors who you could do well with this semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”