UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doritos

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Doritos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:22 pm

desertlaw wrote:Still kicking myself for not spotting the Confrontation Clause issue in my Evidence exam last spring. I think I tried to 803(3) it.
It's understandable. 803(3) is the answer 95% of the time. Nobody's perfect.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:24 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Three was absurd
So many of my fellow 1Ls' facebook statuses have mentioned the fact that they don't remember last night afternoon.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:00 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Thanks sealocust and Ycrevolution: I know studying before the 1L yr is gunnery, but I don't intend to be a gunner, and being socially accepted in the community is very important to me. It's more an issue of I just wanna be the best I can be as opposed to a me vs. my peers mentality.
After one semester, the only thing I would like to have worked more on before school is typing speed. 100 wpm on exams would give more time to think. There were a couple of exams where I certainly missed covering issues I wanted to, simply because there was insufficient time to get them down. For at least some subjects, I'd have to believe that being a fast typist could be what separates you from the B+'s

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 am

I consistently wrote well under the average # of pages for exams (~9-10 per) and my 1L grades were well above average so don't get too wrapped up in thinking that the only path to success is firing off 25 pages of stream of consciousness. The key is # of concepts you're hitting for most professors, not how many words you're using to make your point.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:37 am

gladiator wrote:I consistently wrote well under the average # of pages for exams (~9-10 per) and my 1L grades were well above average so don't get too wrapped up in thinking that the only path to success is firing off 25 pages of stream of consciousness. The key is # of concepts you're hitting for most professors, not how many words you're using to make your point.
Agreed, there's no one way to write an exam.

On the other hand, the ability to type very fast has extremely little downside, and can prove to be quite helpful. If you're faced with a pure race issue spotter, typing a lot will probably help. And for non-race exams, the ability to type fast would give the test-taker the ability to take more time to gather his or her thoughts and outline, edit, etc. I don't do much outlining or editing, so I can't speak for that, but I see mostly upside for ability to type fast.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:48 am

5ky wrote:
gladiator wrote:I consistently wrote well under the average # of pages for exams (~9-10 per) and my 1L grades were well above average so don't get too wrapped up in thinking that the only path to success is firing off 25 pages of stream of consciousness. The key is # of concepts you're hitting for most professors, not how many words you're using to make your point.
Agreed, there's no one way to write an exam.

On the other hand, the ability to type very fast has extremely little downside, and can prove to be quite helpful. If you're faced with a pure race issue spotter, typing a lot will probably help. And for non-race exams, the ability to type fast would give the test-taker the ability to take more time to gather his or her thoughts and outline, edit, etc. I don't do much outlining or editing, so I can't speak for that, but I see mostly upside for ability to type fast.
I think learning to type before ls is important if you are a slow typist, but I think you probably start hitting diminishing returns once you get past the ability to type 65ish wpm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:23 pm

I know some legitimately very slow typists with very, very high grades. Talking about the literal skill of typing and not the resulting exam length, though obviously they didn't produce very long exams as a result.

I'd believe that typing speed can insulate you from poor performance to a certain degree, but it is not necessary for good grades.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 pm

My 1L year I wrote a 7400 word exam in three hours. I got a B. Obviously I didn't type fast enough.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:My 1L year I wrote a 7400 word exam in three hours. I got a B. Obviously I didn't type fast enough.
You should have tried typing faster.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:42 pm

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 am

Anyone have Singer's Property Law textbook they're looking to sell? (0735588600). I'll give you $100, whatever the condition.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:40 pm

If a prof said he submitted grades (in an email today): how long do you think it will take to show up on SIS?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:46 pm

uvahooo wrote:If a prof said he submitted grades (in an email today): how long do you think it will take to show up on SIS?
Two or three months.

(only kidding a little)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:48 pm

thesealocust wrote:
uvahooo wrote:If a prof said he submitted grades (in an email today): how long do you think it will take to show up on SIS?
Two or three months.

(only kidding a little)
:) I did not obsessivly check my grades last year, so anyone who did... I would surely appreciate your insight!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:57 pm

uvahooo wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Two or three months.

(only kidding a little)
:) I did not obsessivly check my grades last year, so anyone who did... I would surely appreciate your insight!
Unfortunately Cary Bennett is an obstacle between the professor's submission of grades and the appearance of the grades on SIS. The student records office receives grades from the professors, and then after waiting a few hours to a few weeks they submit the grades to SIS and post the course evaluations on LawWeb at the same time. So if Cary Bennett doesn't feel like doing any work until late January, you won't get your grade until then.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd recommend just waiting until they all post. The only reason I checked them is because I was convinced I screwed up so badly that I was going to not come back for the spring semester so I kind of had to know before I got on the plane. Also, Merry belated Christmas UVA TLSers

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Doritos wrote:I'd recommend just waiting until they all post. The only reason I checked them is because I was convinced I screwed up so badly that I was going to not come back for the spring semester so I kind of had to know before I got on the plane. Also, Merry belated Christmas UVA TLSers
but how would you know if they all posted?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Neurotic people in your section. Not everyone takes Doritos' always spot-on advice.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:46 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Three was absurd

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Doritos wrote:I'd recommend just waiting until they all post. The only reason I checked them is because I was convinced I screwed up so badly that I was going to not come back for the spring semester so I kind of had to know before I got on the plane. Also, Merry belated Christmas UVA TLSers
This is true. Doritos and I had figured that amongst our study group, one of us would probably want to drop out for not doing well.

Speaking of grades, I thought about them once today. Then laughed. The "2L Exam Results Waiting" thread needs to be taken out to the pasture and shot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.
lolololol

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Waiting for all of your grades to post before checking is one of those things that is probably an objectively good idea. It is just impossible for me to actually accomplish. Once that eval gets posted...man, I lose all willpower whatsoever.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”