UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tom Joad

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Are there any online J term classes?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Heat wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
sn20 wrote:Trying to plan my winter break for a family vacation. What are short courses and do 1L's ever take them?

EDIT: More specifically: Do you pay to take them? Are they graded? Would you recommend doing it? Some of them sound pretty interesting.
There are short courses that meet over January, and 1L's do take them. I didn't, so I can't comment any more specifically.

However, when planning for winter break, keep in mind that there's a fairly large chance that your 1L summer work will be unpaid. If you want to get funding for public interest work over the summer, you may need to get pro bono hours in during winter break so that you can qualify for a PILA grant. Getting that bit of extra money can be pretty helpful.
Just to add to that. I have also heard of people using pro bono work to establish ties to a market. I also know of at least one person who did pro bono work over winter break and got a job offer for the summer out of it. I would think this point is especially strong if your K-JD because you'll probably need things to make your resume look prettier.
I'll add that my 1L winter pro bono project turned into my 1L summer job. Plus, great thing about winter probono 1L year - if you do it right, in two weeks you can get your 75 hours and get the "pro bono challenge" certificate when you graduate.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Has anyone taken classes with Walt before? I'm thinking about taking sec. trans and/or bankruptcy. Any comments?
His class is as dry as the Sahara. He's thorough, he's smart, and he's precise. But that doesn't necessarily translate into learning because you may be asleep in class.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Is there a minimum number of credits we have to take per semester? I didn't see anything in the handbook but I vaguely remember being told we're supposed to take a min of 12. Can't remember if that was suggested or required though.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Yep, 12 required.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA Cavalier

New

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 am

When do NGSL invites come out?

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Any recommendations for someone who rarely cooks and plans on eating out a lot? Would the UVA meal plan be worth it?

For context, I'll be living close to the law school but I'll have my bike and car with me. I'm at the gym alot and I'm looking to eat healthy. I promised myself I'd cook more but, knowing me, I'll be too lazy to cook most of the time.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Any recommendations for someone who rarely cooks and plans on eating out a lot? Would the UVA meal plan be worth it?

For context, I'll be living close to the law school but I'll have my bike and car with me. I'm at the gym alot and I'm looking to eat healthy. I promised myself I'd cook more but, knowing me, I'll be too lazy to cook most of the time.
UVA meal plan as in like the dining hall? I've never met anyone on it. If you're living near school, then you'll be near Barracks Shopping center, which has two grocery stores, Chipotle, Panera, and plenty of other quick eats places.

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm

UVA Cavalier wrote:When do NGSL invites come out?
Wait, you didn't hear... they already went out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA Cavalier

New

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 pm

memaha wrote:
Impossible.

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:31 pm

UVA Cavalier wrote:
memaha wrote:
Impossible.
[redacted]
Last edited by memaha on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA Cavalier

New

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm

memaha wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:
memaha wrote:
Impossible.
Are you serious? This is even worse than when I didn't get a bid at rush

gta1987

New

Post by gta1987 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

memaha wrote:
Really? Thought last year they did that in the fall for 2Ls

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Isn't the 2L lottery today? Why hasn't Cary Bennett sent anything or opened up lawreg to 2Ls?

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 pm

pjo wrote:Isn't the 2L lottery today? Why hasn't Cary Bennett sent anything or opened up lawreg to 2Ls?
You've answered your own question.

letmk

New

Post by letmk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:31 pm

For Corporations, which one is better, Geis or Morley? I want to take both Corporation and Evidence, but Geis' class conflicts with Evidence, how is Morley?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 pm

This is probably super gunning, but if I wanted to volunteer to do pro bono stuff over winter break, when/how do i start looking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 pm

pertristis wrote:
pjo wrote:Isn't the 2L lottery today? Why hasn't Cary Bennett sent anything or opened up lawreg to 2Ls?
For once, I'm gonna have CB's back. The most recent 3L lottery went off without a hitch, and we even got our results a day early. Did you get an email in the last few days telling you that Lawreg would be open today? If not, you might be basing your expectations on a prior, tentative schedule, which is never a good idea.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

chem wrote:This is probably super gunning, but if I wanted to volunteer to do pro bono stuff over winter break, when/how do i start looking?
Probably start looking around November. You basically just cold call/email public service organizations and as if you can work for them over break. But don't sweat this right now. Career Services and your PA's will tell you what you need to know when you need to know it.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:37 pm

letmk wrote:For Corporations, which one is better, Geis or Morley? I want to take both Corporation and Evidence, but Geis' class conflicts with Evidence, how is Morley?
I like Morley a lot. He's clear in what info he wants you to understand, he tests on that info, he records every class (I cannot impress enough how important this is 2L Fall), and he has a great sense of humor. Also, he gathers all of his lectures into a master PowerPoint deck that makes a great study aid/outline.

letmk

New

Post by letmk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:41 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
letmk wrote:For Corporations, which one is better, Geis or Morley? I want to take both Corporation and Evidence, but Geis' class conflicts with Evidence, how is Morley?
I like Morley a lot. He's clear in what info he wants you to understand, he tests on that info, he records every class (I cannot impress enough how important this is 2L Fall), and he has a great sense of humor. Also, he gathers all of his lectures into a master PowerPoint deck that makes a great study aid/outline.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Has anyone taken classes with Walt before? I'm thinking about taking sec. trans and/or bankruptcy. Any comments?
His class is as dry as the Sahara. He's thorough, he's smart, and he's precise. But that doesn't necessarily translate into learning because you may be asleep in class.
He's perfect if you are actually interested in the material. He's clear, and you can generally get away with not reading the cases because he focuses more on the rules.

Also, you're going to get a softer curve than you'd get in any class taught by Collins, Nelson, Jeffries, etc., and you can get away with skipping class if you have a lot of callbacks to attend.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:02 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
pertristis wrote:
For once, I'm gonna have CB's back. The most recent 3L lottery went off without a hitch, and we even got our results a day early. Did you get an email in the last few days telling you that Lawreg would be open today? If not, you might be basing your expectations on a prior, tentative schedule, which is never a good idea.
Are our standards this low? 3L lottery going off without a hitch involves automated software running an automated lottery and sending out automated e-mails. We're willing to fucking congratulate him on that. A day early? A TI-89 calculator could run the entire lottery calculation in half an hour and it took days. A prior tentative schedule? I'm going to make sure all my meetings are now scheduled as "tentative" so I can show up late. When people bitch at me I'll say "read the intinerary, breh."

You've gotta give it to student records: expectation management.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Why does student services set the 2L cap for classes so low? 3 out of 6 of the classes I want are already filled, and they're not even small courses.

Edit: Ok, the past 7 classes I've looked at are filled. WTF

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

pjo wrote:Why does student services set the 2L cap for classes so low? 3 out of 6 of the classes I want are already filled, and they're not even small courses.

Edit: Ok, the past 7 classes I've looked at are filled. WTF
I mean yea it sucks for us 2Ls but it also makes sense that the 3Ls who won't have another opportunity to take these classes get first dibs on the seats. If they saved more classes for us then 3Ls wouldn't be taking the classes they wanted and could potentially miss out on them permanently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”