UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I'd be a lot more wary of taking a normal class that gives C's rather than a one hour seminar that gives B+s. 1 hour of a B+ isn't going to do much damage (or provide much assistance) to your GPA regardless of what it is. 3-4 hours of a C is deadly no matter what your GPA is.

On another note, what is wrong with this school when it comes to releasing grades? This is absolutely ridiculous.
A two credit B+ will have a noticeable impact. And you certainly don't have to worry about getting a C in an elective as a 1L; there are plenty of 2Ls and 3Ls who care about the class far, far less than you do, so they'll undoubtedly occupy the bottom of the curve. I don't know what's with grades, last year the 1Ls had almost all of theirs by now.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 pm

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:29 am

YCrevolution wrote:
TigerBeer wrote: thanks, that helps.

one last question (hopefully): will employers be similarly indifferent to whether you're taking 14 or 16 units?
Yes.
+1. I only took 13 credits 1L spring and never had an employer raise an eyebrow about my course selection.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 am

I have a question for current admits: did anyone receive merit scholarship receive needbased grants? (or is there such a thing?)

Also anyone successful in negotiating more merit scholarship?

Thank you!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 am

omg wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

one last question (hopefully): will employers be similarly indifferent to whether you're taking 14 or 16 units?
Yes.
+1. I only took 13 credits 1L spring and never had an employer raise an eyebrow about my course selection.
Same and same.

I recommend the minimum: one of FedTax, Corporations, or Evidence (each 4 credits) and a 1 credit short course or seminar. That way you only have three exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am

RVP11 wrote:
omg wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Yes.
Same and same.

I recommend the minimum: one of FedTax, Corporations, or Evidence (each 4 credits) and a 1 credit short course or seminar. That way you only have three exams.
Slackers

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:41 pm

LoL...Anything to get ahead

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Speaking of scholarships, if you get good grades your first year, has anyone tried to negotiate for a scholarship (or more scholarship $) for your 2L and 3L years if you tell the law school you are considering transferring to another top school?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 pm

I talked yesterday to one of the professors from whom I haven't yet received a grade, and he told me that professors (of 1L's, I would assume) had been pressed upon to turn in their grades by last Friday, and that he had dutifully turned his in Friday afternoon. Hopefully that portends well for those of us who have some fleeting interest in obtaining gainful summer employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:24 pm

desertlaw wrote:Speaking of scholarships, if you get good grades your first year, has anyone tried to negotiate for a scholarship (or more scholarship $) for your 2L and 3L years if you tell the law school you are considering transferring to another top school?
You should plan on paying what you're paying going in for all three years. That's all I'll say on the subject.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Speaking of scholarships, if you get good grades your first year, has anyone tried to negotiate for a scholarship (or more scholarship $) for your 2L and 3L years if you tell the law school you are considering transferring to another top school?
You should plan on paying what you're paying going in for all three years. That's all I'll say on the subject.
Or rolling out to "the yahd." Amirite?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I'd be a lot more wary of taking a normal class that gives C's rather than a one hour seminar that gives B+s. 1 hour of a B+ isn't going to do much damage (or provide much assistance) to your GPA regardless of what it is. 3-4 hours of a C is deadly no matter what your GPA is.

On another note, what is wrong with this school when it comes to releasing grades? This is absolutely ridiculous.
Administration gave profs a deadline 1.5-2 months out for grade submission. Unless your professor has his quirks, expect grades around the deadline.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:01 pm

There are more course evals posted.

None of them are for courses I took, of course, but I thought I'd sound the alarm for interested others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:21 pm

ILikeIke wrote:There are more course evals posted.

None of them are for courses I took, of course, but I thought I'd sound the alarm for interested others.
I don't know about other classes, but the "new" ones for 1L courses are just the replacement of evals for courses for which grades have already been issued. (When they put up evals for new courses last Friday, they took down all the ones that had been there previously, and those older ones have now been put back up.)

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:33 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:There are more course evals posted.

I don't know about other classes, but the "new" ones for 1L courses are just the replacement of evals for courses for which grades have already been issued. (When they put up evals for new courses last Friday, they took down all the ones that had been there previously, and those older ones have now been put back up.)
Ah, perhaps that's all it is, then. I noticed that there was a greater volume, and that some evals that were previously posted were still missing, and so thought these were new ones. Maybe they're just slowly putting back what they (inadvertently?) removed, SRO being the well-oiled machine it is.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm

RVP11 wrote:
omg wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Yes.
Same and same.

Why do you recommend FedTax/Corp/Evidence specifically? Do those classes give a good impression or something?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I recommend them because they're 4 credits and they're important classes.

Also, they're generally big classes which means you get a representative cross-section of the school and also probably some 2Ls and 3Ls who don't care anymore and are just looking to hide in big classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:04 pm

TigerBeer wrote:Why do you recommend FedTax/Corp/Evidence specifically? Do those classes give a good impression or something?
They're foundational courses that, while not explicitly required for graduation, are recommended for every law student regardless of intended practice area.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Are you sure 2ls and 3ls don't really care?

I am so confused about what classes to take. UGH!

Suggestions?
I am more torn- I do not want to take a four credit course because I think they are way too intensive. Also, any good classes with a strong B+ curve?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm

uvahooo wrote:Are you sure 2ls and 3ls don't really care?
For those headed to BigLaw/BigPI, yes. If you get your 2L SA position from OGI, that hiring decision was made based solely (in terms of grades, at least) on 1L. Even ITE, the majority of 2L SA positions lead to permanent offers, thus only 1L grades matter.

Even if you strike out at OGI/are looking for something different, most jobs look almost exclusively at 1L grades anyway, because that's the only time that they feel they can evaluate students on more or less equal footing.

Moral of the story: a significant portion of your career arc as a lawyer will be determined by 7-9 exams, so take the 1-3 you have control over against as many people whose fates have already been sealed as possible.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:14 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:Why do you recommend FedTax/Corp/Evidence specifically? Do those classes give a good impression or something?
They're foundational courses that, while not explicitly required for graduation, are recommended for every law student regardless of intended practice area.
what about criminal procedure? is that among the same group of classes that people are recommended to take? the survey is 4 creds...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 pm

uvahooo wrote:Are you sure 2ls and 3ls don't really care?
Being one of them, yes.

Even those of us who still care don't care nearly as much as we did as 1Ls. That means we'll probably be outlining less or later and doing fewer or no practice exams. We are still probably better than 1Ls at the art of taking a law school exam, but I think that's more than negated by the lower level of effort.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
what about criminal procedure? is that among the same group of classes that people are recommended to take? the survey is 4 creds...
I recommend CrimPro Survey as well. It's a core class and it just feels very much like a 1L course.

The problem with CrimPro Survey is that it precludes you from taking Adjudication and Investigation separately, which you might well realize you'd prefer after the add/drop date, when it's too late.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:33 pm

I'd recommend, looking at the current schedule and not knowing the 1L conflicts:

Copyright Law - Sprigman is a good lecturer

Criminal Investigation - both Harmon and Armacost are good lecturers

Environmental Law - I've heard very good things about Canon

Evidence - Mitchell is fun and, if you like Brown, Brown is a great teacher - Evidence does require some effort, but it's fairly fun

Quantitative Methods - it's supposed to be incredibly easy

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

RVP11 wrote:
plum wrote:The problem with CrimPro Survey is that it precludes you from taking Adjudication and Investigation separately, which you might well realize you'd prefer after the add/drop date, when it's too late.
is there any particular reason for taking them separately (other than it might be more interesting)? (especially if not planning to practice criminal law)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”