UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
omg

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by omg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm

My first course evals finally went up! From my experience before, SIS has updated anytime between late afternoon and midnight or so. To anyone who has gotten grades this semester so far, has there been a certain time SIS has been updating?

Thanks!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Today: Cary Bennett decides to do some work.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm

omg wrote:My first course evals finally went up! From my experience before, SIS has updated anytime between late afternoon and midnight or so. To anyone who has gotten grades this semester so far, has there been a certain time SIS has been updating?

Thanks!
We got crim around 9 PM

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Basing from last year and this year, it seems pretty clear that Wednesday is the primary day on which course evals get posted, with a few sometimes on Friday, as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.
um... tell me when those are posted. I am not making myself sick checking lawweb.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

uvahooo wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.
um... tell me when those are posted. I am not making myself sick checking lawweb.
lol so just substitute refreshing TLS instead of SIS?

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

plum wrote:
uvahooo wrote:
lol so just substitute refreshing TLS instead of SIS?
I have a mental warning that they are actually up. If I keep on refreshing SIS and I see my grade that might freak me out.

But either way I am going to get freaked out.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

is it a problem to add/drop classes or is it fairly common and acceptable? i am not feeling this elective i chose anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

plum wrote:is it a problem to add/drop classes or is it fairly common and acceptable? i am not feeling this elective i chose anymore.
I thought LawReg was closed; is it back open?

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

whoknows12 wrote:Do any 2L's have any input on the Accounting and Corporate Finance classes? I think they'd be really valuable but I am really bad at economics/numbers and am considering not taking these classes until 2L year. But they seem like prerequisites for a lot of interesting 2L classes...
The Geis/Broome combination is pretty great if you can get into that section. The subject matter is moderately interesting. Accounting is just a basic introduction to accounting course. Corporate finance is quite a bit more interesting given that Geis is an excellent professor. If you're good at math, the class has the potential to really boost your GPA. Broome has given up to 20% A's and Geis also has a fairly top heavy curve. As a result, it's relatively easier to get a higher grade in these classes. However, if you stink at math, you have the potential to get a pretty lousy grade. I would highly recommend the course if you're good at mental math.

If you're worried about doing poorly in these classes and want to wait until your 2L year, that might be wise. The Law & Business courses that claim the Accounting/Corporate Finance courses are prerequisites do not really require Accounting/Corporate Finance. Having taken two Law & Business courses, I can attest that there are only a few concepts that really build upon corporate finance and most of these concepts can be easily learned.

Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:53 pm

hokiefan wrote:Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?
i've only gotten one grade so far. the eval was posted last wed morning or afternoon and the grade appeared the next day around 8pm. i guess they don't enter the grades at the same time the evals are up? maybe they enter the grades the next day. who knows, i'm not clear on the reasons for this process.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

plum wrote:
hokiefan wrote:Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?
i've only gotten one grade so far. the eval was posted last wed morning or afternoon and the grade appeared the next day around 8pm. i guess they don't enter the grades at the same time the evals are up? maybe they enter the grades the next day. who knows, i'm not clear on the reasons for this process.
Ours was 2PM for the eval then 8-9ish that night for the grade.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm

plum wrote:
After going through this process twice, I don't think there is any predictability to it. Here's what happened to me the past two semesters:

Fall Semester
Criminal Law: Evaluation posted Thursday morning, grade posted the same afternoon
Civil Procedure: Evaluation posted Tuesday morning, grade posted at around midnight
Torts: Grade posted Tuesday at midnight (same day as civil procedure), evaluation posted on Thursday
Contracts: Evaluation posted Thursday morning, grade posted sometime after 10 pm the same day

Spring Semester
Evidence: Evaluation posted Wednesday afternoon, grade is there at the same time
Property: Evaluation posted Friday afternoon, grade posted Saturday evening
Other Classes: Evaluation posted on the afternoon of the deadline, grades posted the same evening

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Geis's grades are up.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Geis's grades are up.
so is torts

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 am

Nerdily interesting info: Assuming that grades have posted for all classes for which evals have posted, each section now has at least one grade. Here's the breakdown:
All 4 grades: None
3 grades: D, L
2 grades: A, E, F
1 grade: B, C, G, H, I, J, K

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Nerdily interesting info: Assuming that grades have posted for all classes for which evals have posted, each section now has at least one grade. Here's the breakdown:
All 4 grades: None
3 grades: D, L
2 grades: A, E, F
1 grade: B, C, G, H, I, J, K
I can pretty much guarantee that though Section D has 3/4 grades now, we will be the last section to get our final grade.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 am

Last fall, I didn't get my final two grades until January 19.

Just so y'all know.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Last fall, I didn't get my final two grades until January 19.

Just so y'all know.
Hell, I didn't get my last exam grade until the week of January 25 last year.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm

My last came on the 28th, and Coughlin's didn't come until February I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Someone probably already said this, but grades aren't due til Feb. 1 this year, so the wait could be even longer...

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

how many people at uva actually drop out the first semester? or all they all perservering thinking they'll beat the odds next semeter

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

plum wrote:how many people at uva actually drop out the first semester? or all they all perservering thinking they'll beat the odds next semeter
Very few. A handful drop out after the first year, but that's a ways away.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I got my last grade at the end of February when I was a 1L. Nobody is going to top that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”