UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:I still don't have a single grade :(.
I wonder if they are prioritizing our 1L grades. It would appear so...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
From what I remember, professors are given a different, earlier, deadline for 1L classes than for other classes.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 pm

napolnic wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
From what I remember, professors are given a different, earlier, deadline for 1L classes than for other classes.
And it's working so well! Forty-three days since the CivPro final and counting...

AJW

New

Post by AJW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 am

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
AJW wrote:Hey guys what E&E's would you recommend for Torts? Is The Forms and Functions of Tort Law by Abraham the best? Civil Procedure by Glannon? Your take? What about Contracts and Crim Law?

Thanks for all of the help it is much appreciated.
Do. Not. Ask. That. Ever. In. January. When. You. Are. A. 0L. You. Will. Not. Be. Liked.
A.Men.
Sorry guys just seems like there is so much to take in with all of these different books to read and differences between Hornbooks and E&E's etc... No harm intended

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 am

AJW wrote:
swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
AJW wrote:Hey guys what E&E's would you recommend for Torts? Is The Forms and Functions of Tort Law by Abraham the best? Civil Procedure by Glannon? Your take? What about Contracts and Crim Law?

Do. Not. Ask. That. Ever. In. January. When. You. Are. A. 0L. You. Will. Not. Be. Liked.
A.Men.
Sorry guys just seems like there is so much to take in with all of these different books to read and differences between Hornbooks and E&E's etc... No harm intended
dont worry about law school till law school. honestly, nothing matters till november of your 1l year anyways. doing shit now is a waste of your time, unless you realllllly freaking like this shit.

Pragabranca

New

Post by Pragabranca » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 am

Guys I just wanted to say thanks for all of the previous posts they have been very helpful. Just picked up a pair of cleats and a mitt today.................super pumped for the softball!!!!!!!!!!!

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 am

AJW wrote:
swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

A.Men.
To be fair I think they are sorta joking (jokes don't come out well over the interwebs). If you look through the forums there are many topics on what you can read if you really feel like you need to get ahead. Not gonna lie I'm reading a Contracts supplement.. TBH, its really cool for me to read something like this prior to the classes. I don't expect to fully understand it or know what I'm looking for but how does reading it in my spare time hurt me?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:19 am

Sorry guys just seems like there is so much to take in with all of these different books to read and differences between Hornbooks and E&E's etc... No harm intended[/quote]

To be fair I think they are sorta joking (jokes don't come out well over the interwebs). If you look through the forums there are many topics on what you can read if you really feel like you need to get ahead. Not gonna lie I'm reading a Contracts supplement.. TBH, its really cool for me to read something like this prior to the classes. I don't expect to fully understand it or know what I'm looking for but how does reading it in my spare time hurt me?[/quote]

Stop. Please don't. Trust me. It doesn't matter, enjoy your life, don't do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:29 am

checking in....wow what the hell happened today? lol @ the michael jackson meme.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Sorry guys just seems like there is so much to take in with all of these different books to read and differences between Hornbooks and E&E's etc... No harm intended
To be fair I think they are sorta joking (jokes don't come out well over the interwebs). If you look through the forums there are many topics on what you can read if you really feel like you need to get ahead. Not gonna lie I'm reading a Contracts supplement.. TBH, its really cool for me to read something like this prior to the classes. I don't expect to fully understand it or know what I'm looking for but how does reading it in my spare time hurt me?[/quote]

Stop. Please don't. Trust me. It doesn't matter, enjoy your life, don't do that.[/quote]

To be honest I'm kinda enjoying reading it. I'm not like taking extensive notes or gong out of my way to read it. It's more something I'm doing when I have nothing better to do and considering my interest in law its pretty cool to me, personally.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:22 am

Heat wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Sorry guys just seems like there is so much to take in with all of these different books to read and differences between Hornbooks and E&E's etc... No harm intended
To be fair I think they are sorta joking (jokes don't come out well over the interwebs). If you look through the forums there are many topics on what you can read if you really feel like you need to get ahead. Not gonna lie I'm reading a Contracts supplement.. TBH, its really cool for me to read something like this prior to the classes. I don't expect to fully understand it or know what I'm looking for but how does reading it in my spare time hurt me?
Stop. Please don't. Trust me. It doesn't matter, enjoy your life, don't do that.[/quote]

To be honest I'm kinda enjoying reading it. I'm not like taking extensive notes or gong out of my way to read it. It's more something I'm doing when I have nothing better to do and considering my interest in law its pretty cool to me, personally.[/quote]

That's great and all and I applaud your interest, but please please don't let whatever you read stick in your mind, beyond the very very basic information, because all professors have different views and takes on the law. This might not make sense now, but once you get into school you will know what I mean.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for the tips. I don't intend to take it very seriously. I'm pretty much just reading it or the basic concepts as you said.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I wanted to ask a quick question. Do you think UVA is worth it at sticker? If I get in I know I won't be offered money. Just wanted to see if you had any insights about whether or not UVA at sticker is a good investment.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:19 pm

aw damn I was hoping to get back today from break to find my loan money waiting for me in the mailbox

:(

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Is accounting/corp finance a GPA killer? I was pretty excited to take it before but now I am thinking that I might prefer a class that I have a shot at an A- in...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:16 pm

TigerBeer wrote:Is accounting/corp finance a GPA killer? I was pretty excited to take it before but now I am thinking that I might prefer a class that I have a shot at an A- in...
The courses are substantially different from typical exam-based courses. They're not GPA killers, but they do require different skills to succeed. If you're uncomfortable around numbers, you might want to postpone taking them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:25 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I wanted to ask a quick question. Do you think UVA is worth it at sticker? If I get in I know I won't be offered money. Just wanted to see if you had any insights about whether or not UVA at sticker is a good investment.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I wanted to ask a quick question. Do you think UVA is worth it at sticker? If I get in I know I won't be offered money. Just wanted to see if you had any insights about whether or not UVA at sticker is a good investment.
probably depends on what your other options are. if i didn't go to uva, i wasn't gonna get money anywhere good (splitter), and i wasn't gonna be working in anything interesting/lucrative, so i took it at sticker and i haven't looked back. if your LSN is up to date though, this doesn't seem like a question you need to be asking for some time anyway, so why not relax a little bit in the meantime?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:47 pm

dailygrind wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
probably depends on what your other options are. if i didn't go to uva, i wasn't gonna get money anywhere good (splitter), and i wasn't gonna be working in anything interesting/lucrative, so i took it at sticker and i haven't looked back. if your LSN is up to date though, this doesn't seem like a question you need to be asking for some time anyway, so why not relax a little bit in the meantime?
I'm just trying to come to terms with how much money I will ultimately be comfortable spending. My LSN is up to date, and yeah I probably do need to relax, I tend to be high strung like that :!:

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:Is accounting/corp finance a GPA killer? I was pretty excited to take it before but now I am thinking that I might prefer a class that I have a shot at an A- in...
The courses are substantially different from typical exam-based courses. They're not GPA killers, but they do require different skills to succeed. If you're uncomfortable around numbers, you might want to postpone taking them.
I've also heard that they are time-sucks - graded homework. I plan to take them before I graduate (i.e., spring 3L), but I'm glad I didn't take them 1L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:00 pm

dailygrind wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
I was also a very big splitter and I have no regrets about paying sticker for UVA.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:32 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
I was also a very big splitter and I have no regrets about paying sticker for UVA.
+1

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

omg wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
+1
Just wondering, are any of you considering non-BigLaw jobs? I have made the decision that this is really the only type of job I am NOT interested in.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:39 pm

I personally am interested in biglaw, at least for the short-term.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”