UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Finickywalrus

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Finickywalrus » Sun May 14, 2017 1:30 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:Random question but how are exams submitted? Are they done in word and we just send a pdf to an account when we're done? Or is there an exam program/software that we install on our computer and we submit through that? If the latter is the case, are there any storage requirements (such that I couldn't get a chromebook or something like that)?
We use a system called expo that submits the word document online. As long as your OS is compatible with it (and I'd imagine a chromebook would be fine for this), you'll be fine.

That being said, easily 75% of students use some form of mac. Take that for what it is.
Ok thanks! I might get a more traditional Mac/Lenovo but I thought I'd ask in case I decide to go the ultra cheap route.

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Ive never played softball - but I know about weight restrictions and different bat materials. Anyone have insights or suggestions on what type of bat to buy and what size, based on height. Do they do rentals/borrowing or do people bring their own usually?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 pm

lawcapture wrote:Ive never played softball - but I know about weight restrictions and different bat materials. Anyone have insights or suggestions on what type of bat to buy and what size, based on height. Do they do rentals/borrowing or do people bring their own usually?
Wait until you start playing to buy gear like a bat. Bats will be available/provided by NGSL, and the more motivated softball players will buy or already have bats that everyone will use. And the bats available from others/NGSL will probably be much better quality than the one you buy because a really good softball bat is pretty expensive. If you think you're going to really enjoy softball and want to play more of it than just with your section, go ahead and buy a glove (NGSL has gloves to borrow too, but they are a bit ratty and have had countless sweaty hands inside them), and if you really want to get into it, consider buying cleats. But if you think you're just going to be a occasional and pretty unenthusiastic participant, there is no real need to waste the money to get a bunch of gear you won't end up using much.

Once you start playing more and figure out how much you want to be involved, then maybe consider buying a nice softball bat for your personal use and your team's use.

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

UVA2B wrote:
lawcapture wrote:Ive never played softball - but I know about weight restrictions and different bat materials. Anyone have insights or suggestions on what type of bat to buy and what size, based on height. Do they do rentals/borrowing or do people bring their own usually?
Wait until you start playing to buy gear like a bat. Bats will be available/provided by NGSL, and the more motivated softball players will buy or already have bats that everyone will use. And the bats available from others/NGSL will probably be much better quality than the one you buy because a really good softball bat is pretty expensive. If you think you're going to really enjoy softball and want to play more of it than just with your section, go ahead and buy a glove (NGSL has gloves to borrow too, but they are a bit ratty and have had countless sweaty hands inside them), and if you really want to get into it, consider buying cleats. But if you think you're just going to be a occasional and pretty unenthusiastic participant, there is no real need to waste the money to get a bunch of gear you won't end up using much.

Once you start playing more and figure out how much you want to be involved, then maybe consider buying a nice softball bat for your personal use and your team's use.
dope, I just want to get in a couple of hits and drink some beer so based on your input I think holding off is the move 8)

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Wed May 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:Random question but how are exams submitted? Are they done in word and we just send a pdf to an account when we're done? Or is there an exam program/software that we install on our computer and we submit through that? If the latter is the case, are there any storage requirements (such that I couldn't get a chromebook or something like that)?
We use a system called expo that submits the word document online. As long as your OS is compatible with it (and I'd imagine a chromebook would be fine for this), you'll be fine.

That being said, easily 75% of students use some form of mac. Take that for what it is.
Ok thanks! I might get a more traditional Mac/Lenovo but I thought I'd ask in case I decide to go the ultra cheap route.
Don't get a chromebook. You will need to open and use microsoft word, powerpoint, and excel sporadically throughout law school. And sure, you can port them over to google docs and attempt to use them that way, but it's not going to work well. I honestly don't even know how you'd go about submitting a google doc during exams, because you have to upload your exam in a microsoft word format, not google doc or pdf. It's not worth the hassle.

Buy a windows or a mac. I'd recommend a windows computer, there are plenty in the $500 range that will work well. You don't need a great battery because every classroom seat has a power plug, and you don't need a fancy processor, because you'll just be rocking word, excel, and maybe onenote, if that's your thing.

Also, don't pay for microsoft office, you can get that for free from the school. And they can also upgrade you to windows 10 for free. Just buy a bare bones laptop that will last you 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 pm

thebrownnote wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Don't get a chromebook. You will need to open and use microsoft word, powerpoint, and excel sporadically throughout law school. And sure, you can port them over to google docs and attempt to use them that way, but it's not going to work well. I honestly don't even know how you'd go about submitting a google doc during exams, because you have to upload your exam in a microsoft word format, not google doc or pdf. It's not worth the hassle.

Buy a windows or a mac. I'd recommend a windows computer, there are plenty in the $500 range that will work well. You don't need a great battery because every classroom seat has a power plug, and you don't need a fancy processor, because you'll just be rocking word, excel, and maybe onenote, if that's your thing.

Also, don't pay for microsoft office, you can get that for free from the school. And they can also upgrade you to windows 10 for free. Just buy a bare bones laptop that will last you 3 years.
Agree with this. Even though I think a MacBook is a generally superior computer, I went with a middle-of-the-market Lenovo laptop for $600 less and it was a great purchase. All you need to get through law school is Microsoft Office and an internet browser.

I will add, though, that a MacBook gives you the added feature of being able to iMessage during class from your computer, which as diligent as you might think you're going to be, you'll probably want to do at some point. But for $600 in savings I was happy to pretend I was in high school again and surreptitiously text from my phone on my lap.

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

rhododactylos wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Agree with this. Even though I think a MacBook is a generally superior computer, I went with a middle-of-the-market Lenovo laptop for $600 less and it was a great purchase. All you need to get through law school is Microsoft Office and an internet browser.

I will add, though, that a MacBook gives you the added feature of being able to iMessage during class from your computer, which as diligent as you might think you're going to be, you'll probably want to do at some point. But for $600 in savings I was happy to pretend I was in high school again and surreptitiously text from my phone on my lap.
Thanks for the extra information! I've been out of school for a bit so I forgot schools offer office for free/at a discount. I just decided to go with a Lenovo because I like its durability. I'm sad I'll miss out on imessaging but it's probably for the best haha. Thanks again!

UVA2018

New

Post by UVA2018 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm a rising 3L at UVA who failed to get an offer from any law firm last year. I've accepted that I have almost certainly missed the boat for working at a firm when I graduate, especially given my low class rank. Case in point: the 3L OGI bid list on simplicity right now is a joke for anyone not already on law review with SA experience.

Can those who have graduated recently from UVA share what jobs out of law school they and/or those they knew ultimately ended up with? Where can bottom rung grades realistically take you during the 3L job search?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Sat May 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Both people I knew who went into 3L without jobs worked their butts off and eventually got offers at law firms in the Spring (one biglaw and one small law). Similar to you, from what I understand, neither of them were in a great spot grade-wise. I am relatively sure they are not on TLS, but I bet their advice would be to hustle, mass mail, not limit yourself geographically, and above all, not to get too discouraged.

It was extremely stressful for both of them, but they just kept trying. I know that's easier said than done, but there it is. One of them mentioned that switching career counselors helped them a lot as they didn't feel they clicked with the one they were assigned for OGI, so you might try that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Sun May 28, 2017 11:26 am

UVA2018 wrote:I'm a rising 3L at UVA who failed to get an offer from any law firm last year. I've accepted that I have almost certainly missed the boat for working at a firm when I graduate, especially given my low class rank. Case in point: the 3L OGI bid list on simplicity right now is a joke for anyone not already on law review with SA experience.

Can those who have graduated recently from UVA share what jobs out of law school they and/or those they knew ultimately ended up with? Where can bottom rung grades realistically take you during the 3L job search?
I agree with whats an updog. I'd also emphasize that career services is going to be much more helpful here than TLS. While TLS might have some anecdotes, KDon sees this regularly, and will be better suited to tell you what to do, when to do it, and what your chances are. So work your *ss off both in classes for the next year and with KDon (I'm assuming since your name is UVA2018 that you've got another year). Lots of firms lose summers to government work, clerkships, other firms, etc., so they will be looking for some people to fill the void. Showing them next year that you can bump your grades up (and doing anything else to set yourself apart like publishing, doing research with a prof, joining moot court, etc.) will make you look more attractive when they are trying to fill those spots.

If you are looking for anecdotes, I know someone that went from non-summer associate to V10. They had a great personality and worked at it. I know another person who didn't care to do what KDon asked, and they ended up at some no name small law firm w/ temporary employment. Don't get discouraged - there's still time and plenty of opportunities if you work at it!

NorthGroundsRat

New

Post by NorthGroundsRat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 am

UVA2018 wrote:I'm a rising 3L at UVA who failed to get an offer from any law firm last year. I've accepted that I have almost certainly missed the boat for working at a firm when I graduate, especially given my low class rank. Case in point: the 3L OGI bid list on simplicity right now is a joke for anyone not already on law review with SA experience.

I know this must be a stressful and discouraging time for you, but hang in there. I know one person who did not get any offers through OGI and did not work at a firm the summer after 2L. That person ultimately worked on Capital Hill for a year, then moved to an agency for a couple years, and is now at a big law firm in DC. Another person I know worked at an agency for a couple years, then clerked and is now in big law in DC.

There are a lot of different paths to big law, and you may ultimately decide that big law is not what you really want to do after getting some different experience. What are you doing this summer?

Anxious-Undergrad

New

Post by Anxious-Undergrad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi All,

Do any current students recommend the computer bundles, and if so, do you recommend the mac or windows version? Also, if I was to buy my own computer how would I go about getting all the UVA specific programs on to it? Have any of you had a good/bad experience with the UVA law IT department? I am really trying to figure out if the bundle is worth the 1,500 price tag. Let me know any tips about getting a computer for law school. Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Anxious-Undergrad wrote:Hi All,

Do any current students recommend the computer bundles, and if so, do you recommend the mac or windows version? Also, if I was to buy my own computer how would I go about getting all the UVA specific programs on to it? Have any of you had a good/bad experience with the UVA law IT department? I am really trying to figure out if the bundle is worth the 1,500 price tag. Let me know any tips about getting a computer for law school. Thanks!
Plenty of people I know have gotten a bundle through UVA, but it's absolutely not necessary if you want to shop elsewhere. Picking between Mac and Windows is a personal decision, so I'd just go with whichever OS you're more familiar with. Buying outside of the UVA bundle won't be a problem because realistically all you need is Microsoft office (which is available for free download through the school) and a compatible internet browser.

The IT department are great and they will help you fix some issue of your own creation or just really bad luck at some point in your time in school.

If you want to do the bundle, go right ahead. Most people I've spoken to about it really liked the ease of it and got a great computer. But you don't need to go through that program to get an entirely serviceable laptop for school. Do whatever feels right to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Has anyone actually had a good experience with the clerkship office? I ask this genuinely, because I imagine there is a right way and a wrong way to help them help you. Right now I feel like we're in a bit of an information vacuum. I'd love to hear any advice from people that have gone through the process.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Has anyone actually had a good experience with the clerkship office? I ask this genuinely, because I imagine there is a right way and a wrong way to help them help you. Right now I feel like we're in a bit of an information vacuum. I'd love to hear any advice from people that have gone through the process.
I think they go out of their way to affirmatively help the strongest people in the class. As someone who wasn't competitive for feeders, Ruth was mainly a support resource to bounce ideas off of and double-check that what I was doing wasn't improper. She's very prompt with her responses, so if you have specific questions, I wouldn't hesitate to email her directly.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:43 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Has anyone actually had a good experience with the clerkship office? I ask this genuinely, because I imagine there is a right way and a wrong way to help them help you. Right now I feel like we're in a bit of an information vacuum. I'd love to hear any advice from people that have gone through the process.
Ruth will be helpful with setting up OSCAR and Clerqs and helping you prepare for interviews. But I did not find her helpful in preparing a broader strategy--i.e., where am I competitive, which professors know which judges, etc. I found Heytens and Schwartzman (the faculty clerkship committee co-chairs) to be much more helpful with strategy questions.

I'd be more than happy to to share my experience and the tidbits I picked up from a dozen panicked conversations with Schwartzman--feel free to shoot me a PM!

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Question for alumni and/or c/o 2017 people: what did people on the student Aetna plan do between expiration of their student insurance policy and commencement of their policy with their firm? Do firms let you jump on their plan early? Just checking here before digging into the insurance docs and/or contacting my future employer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 pm

they definitely won't let you on their plans early. it's probably either go without for a few months, or pay up for a short term policy.

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

A few driving-related questions for current students:

I currently live and work in DC, but plan to quit in early August and return to my parents' house in FL for a week or so. My thought is to become a FL resident and obtain a FL driver's license at that time.

1. VA law provides that unemployed, full-time students may retain their out-of-state licenses and tags. Is that what most students from out of state do?

2. I'll be living in Albemarle County as an unemployed, full-time student with a car titled and tagged in FL. Will I owe personal property tax on the vehicle? VA's statute on this is somewhat vague. [Note: Not soliciting legal advice here - just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.]

3. Ideally, I'd prefer a D3 parking pass over a Blue pass. The school's 1L orientation guidance suggests that they will be available beginning on August 1. In your experience, are they generally still available for 1Ls to buy at that point, or have they already sold out?

Appreciate any insights you have!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

I had FL tags and a FL drivers license all through LS. I never thought about it and definitely didn't get inspections (my car 100% would not have passed) or pay any VA taxes.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 pm

You can definitely get D3 passes. They don't sell out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Lol D3 is like 70% empty every day. You'll be fine.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:40 pm

LawMan16 wrote:A few driving-related questions for current students:

I currently live and work in DC, but plan to quit in early August and return to my parents' house in FL for a week or so. My thought is to become a FL resident and obtain a FL driver's license at that time.

1. VA law provides that unemployed, full-time students may retain their out-of-state licenses and tags. Is that what most students from out of state do?

2. I'll be living in Albemarle County as an unemployed, full-time student with a car titled and tagged in FL. Will I owe personal property tax on the vehicle? VA's statute on this is somewhat vague. [Note: Not soliciting legal advice here - just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.]

3. Ideally, I'd prefer a D3 parking pass over a Blue pass. The school's 1L orientation guidance suggests that they will be available beginning on August 1. In your experience, are they generally still available for 1Ls to buy at that point, or have they already sold out?

Appreciate any insights you have!
Half the cars parked at the student apartment complexes have out of state tags, and until now I wondered how that was legal. Now I know! You'll be fine keeping your FL registration.

Personal property tax in Virginia follows your registration, so you won't get billed here if you don't register here. You should expect FL to continue billing you until you un-register from there.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 am

Anyone know when VLR sends out their invites? Mainly morbidly curious, have no expectation of getting on and don't feel like being that guy that asks friends in real life.

asundialwatch

New

Post by asundialwatch » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am

Soonish. Late June/early July is typical.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”