UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dailygrind

Diamond

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by dailygrind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:If deciding between Michigan and UVA, what would you say is the main reason(s) why you would say to pick UVA?
I'd probably choose based on whether I had a preference for/ties to the south or the midwest. Obviously you should be able to make it anywhere from either school if you do well, but if things go poorly you'll probably end up looking to work somewhere you have ties, and if your school has a strong name in that area it'll be pretty helpful. What Albanach said is also true - UVA's located in a beautiful town and there are a lot of institutional things in place designed to make it a friendly place. Can't really say how it compares to Michigan, but FWIW I've had a good experience here and I think it's a great place to go to law school.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
esq wrote:For the 1L section joys of getting destroyed by a hand-picked 2L-3L softball team during the first game of playoffs.
Good to know my section was not the only one that ran into this.
mine too

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
esq wrote:For the 1L section joys of getting destroyed by a hand-picked 2L-3L softball team during the first game of playoffs.
mine too
Not *every* section had this problem :D :D :D

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm

sundance95 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
mine too
In spite of your snarky remark, I'm glad to see that us 1L's are still represented. The team that clobbered us rarely left home plate to do it. Take 'em down for us.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 pm

sundance95 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
mine too
Perhaps the 1L members of TLS only represent 2 sections?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 pm

albanach wrote:
sundance95 wrote: Not *every* section had this problem :D :D :D
Perhaps the 1L members of TLS only represent 2 sections?
The Divas and Runs. We've still got two dogs left in this fight.

http://www.ngsl.com/season/2011_fall/index.html

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 pm

The 1L tournament is your playoffs. The actual playoffs give 1Ls incentive to go join new teams to keep the league strong.

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:29 am

I'm visiting UVA this upcoming friday for the student tour/ class observation / panels. I'm applying early decision and would like to speak to someone in admissions to emphasize my interest and ask questions. Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? Would it feasible to talk to the Dean Trujillo or should I speak to a secretary?

Also, is there anything in particular I should check out while I'm visiting? I'm staying at a hotel in Charlottesville so I'll be around all day.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:31 am

jediknight2424 wrote:I'm visiting UVA this upcoming friday for the student tour/ class observation / panels. I'm applying early decision and would like to speak to someone in admissions to emphasize my interest and ask questions. Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? Would it feasible to talk to the Dean Trujillo or should I speak to a secretary?

Also, is there anything in particular I should check out while I'm visiting? I'm staying at a hotel in Charlottesville so I'll be around all day.
Of the two classes meeting on Friday, Abraham's is probably the better choice (just going off reputation; I've never had either of them). I did a student tour back in the day as well, and I didn't have to really do anything special to meet with an AdComm member - once I signed in Dean Dugas popped by to do the Admissions Q&A panel. I assume it's not a particularly different method now, but emailing to check is a low cost play. Agree with YCR re: what to see, though I would personally prioritize the Corner and the Downtown Mall since they're probably the biggest hot spots for law students. Monticello and the main grounds are pretty sweet, it's just that it's hard to get out there very often.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Don't know who the second professor you can attend is, but you definitely should catch Abraham's class. You'll get a chance to hear his weekly Friday off-topic inspirational speech. Sounds corny, but all of us (in my section at least) really look forward to it. His class is also the one that most accords with what I thought a law school class would be prior to coming here. Plus, you'll have a decent chance to see some of the tougher cold calling at UVA on a post bar-review morning, and see for yourself how cold calling really isn't that big of a deal. (Although TBH, I don't know that very many 1Ls are still hitting bar review hard.)

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks guys! I'll definitely check out Abraham's class.

Right now I'm waiting on a Professor's recommendation (should be processed early this week). Do you recommend submitting my application before my visit or after?

I could write a better "Why UVA" essay if I visited first and submitted after, but I've been told its better to submit beforehand so that admission officers have something to refer to if you make a good impression.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:53 pm

FWIW, I applied after visiting and the admission officer I met with still remembered who I was when my app came in (it was a week or two after I visited). Your mileage may vary, but I think it makes more sense to visit before applying ED - if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, you're going to want an out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 am

So I'm working on narrowing down my list of electives for the spring, and I'm leaning towards taking Criminal Investigation with Coughlin and Evidence with Mitchell (a total of 7 hours). Would this be an overly intense combination? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot grade-wise.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:So I'm working on narrowing down my list of electives for the spring, and I'm leaning towards taking Criminal Investigation with Coughlin and Evidence with Mitchell (a total of 7 hours). Would this be an overly intense combination? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot grade-wise.
It's no more intense than your fall semester. But if your first semester grades roll out and you killed it, one possibility is to take the minimum number of elective credits you can (5) so that in the event your grades regress to the mean, it won't hurt you as much.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:52 am

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 am

esq wrote:Um, can anyone tell me where the job leads are in Symplicity? I'm not seeing any. Am I missing something here?
I think the jobs tab is not available to 1L's until Dec. 1. But I may be wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:35 pm

5ky wrote:It's no more intense than your fall semester. But if your first semester grades roll out and you killed it, one possibility is to take the minimum number of elective credits you can (5) so that in the event your grades regress to the mean, it won't hurt you as much.
Heh, I'm not overly worried about that scenario, but something to keep in mind.
Cavalier wrote: That sounds fine--it's hard to take an "overly intense" spring semester schedule unless you take three electives or something. If you're on the fence about criminal investigation, you should probably grab it now if you can; you'll have a hard time getting into that class off the waitlist.
I was more wondering whether those specific classes would be a bit much substantively to take as a 1L (rather than whether 7 hours was too much to take). Sounds like you guys don't really think that's much of an issue, though.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
5ky wrote:It's no more intense than your fall semester. But if your first semester grades roll out and you killed it, one possibility is to take the minimum number of elective credits you can (5) so that in the event your grades regress to the mean, it won't hurt you as much.
Heh, I'm not overly worried about that scenario, but something to keep in mind.
Cavalier wrote: That sounds fine--it's hard to take an "overly intense" spring semester schedule unless you take three electives or something. If you're on the fence about criminal investigation, you should probably grab it now if you can; you'll have a hard time getting into that class off the waitlist.
I was more wondering whether those specific classes would be a bit much substantively to take as a 1L (rather than whether 7 hours was too much to take). Sounds like you guys don't really think that's much of an issue, though.
No, not much of an issue. Some courses are more difficult than others, but I don't think you'll find anything here that's too difficult substantively. The most difficult courses are, in my opinion, those that are code-based. Crim investigation is mostly constitutional matters, and evidence is a bit like the portion of civ pro that involves the FRCP.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 pm

How long of a walk is it from the Copeland apts to the law school? It seems fairly close, but maps can be deceiving.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:13 pm

citykitty wrote:How long of a walk is it from the Copeland apts to the law school? It seems fairly close, but maps can be deceiving.
Do you mean Copeley?

It'd be about 2-3 minute walk to the front steps of the law school. Copeley is across the street from the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 pm

RVP11 wrote:
citykitty wrote:How long of a walk is it from the Copeland apts to the law school? It seems fairly close, but maps can be deceiving.
Do you mean Copeley?

It'd be about 2-3 minute walk to the front steps of the law school. Copeley is across the street from the law school.

Yeah that. I have the stupid website open on my computer. I don't know why I wrote that. I guess I was thinking food instead. So, NBD living there and parking there. Wouldn't need to drive to school or anything, right?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:22 pm

citykitty wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Do you mean Copeley?

Yeah that. I have the stupid website open on my computer. I don't know why I wrote that. I guess I was thinking food instead. So, NBD living there and parking there. Wouldn't need to drive to school or anything, right?
No.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:26 pm

5ky wrote:
citykitty wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Do you mean Copeley?

No.
But they are pretty crappy apartments, at least from what I've seen. Hit the Jeffersonian for a much better apartment and a 5 minute walk, or anywhere on Arlington for a better apartment and a 10 minute walk.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:42 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
But they are pretty crappy apartments, at least from what I've seen. Hit the Jeffersonian for a much better apartment and a 5 minute walk, or anywhere on Arlington for a better apartment and a 10 minute walk.
This is very true, and I think you also share a bedroom with another person. I would loathe having to do this in law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”