UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chem

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by chem » Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 am

When do we find out who is in our section? I want to invite mine over for dinner and drinks before classes start as a get to know you

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu May 31, 2012 12:52 pm

chem wrote:When do we find out who is in our section? I want to invite mine over for dinner and drinks before classes start as a get to know you
They'll release the sections (i.e. who is teaching what classes) in late July/early August, but you won't actually find out what section you're in (or what books you need) until a week before classes start. Idk why UVA does it like that becuase its kind of a pain.

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Thu May 31, 2012 1:09 pm

chem wrote:When do we find out who is in our section? I want to invite mine over for dinner and drinks before classes start as a get to know you
You'll have had your fill of (most of) the people in your section by about September 5th. I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to spend MORE time with them.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 pm

In regard to applying next cycle:

Does an ED boost still have the same effect later in the cycle? As in applying ED in like late Dec or early Jan?

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:28 pm

So, I have two late summer weddings. One is the first weekend after classes start (8/25), the other is the Sunday of Labor Day weekend (9/2).

What is the schedule like this early in the year; am I nuts for trying to take off for the weekend that early?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:06 pm

niro5 wrote:So, I have two late summer weddings. One is the first weekend after classes start (8/25), the other is the Sunday of Labor Day weekend (9/2).

What is the schedule like this early in the year; am I nuts for trying to take off for the weekend that early?
Are you worried that you will miss out on fun? The only thing that matters will still be 15 weeks away after those weekends

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu May 31, 2012 8:02 pm

niro5 wrote:So, I have two late summer weddings. One is the first weekend after classes start (8/25), the other is the Sunday of Labor Day weekend (9/2).

You'll be fine. 0L's (and ppl on TLS) make too much of a deal about not taking trips/leaving the school etc. Just make sure you get your work done and you're fine. I traveled on three weekends between the start of school prior to thanksgiving.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 am

How accurate are the "required" grades on simplicity for OGI? At first I thought, "well it wouldn't say required if it wasn't actually required" but then I thought maybe firms overshoot on simplicity to get more "qualified" applicants.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 am

Heat wrote:How accurate are the "required" grades on simplicity for OGI? At first I thought, "well it wouldn't say required if it wasn't actually required" but then I thought maybe firms overshoot on simplicity to get more "qualified" applicants.
Do not listen to those.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 am

As long as you keep up with the reading, you should be fine. But my advice is to try not to miss any classes (unless the professor records the class), especially that early in the year, when a lot of the concepts are going to be new. It's true that you can get notes from classmates, but that just isn't the same.

N.B. -- Even if a professor doesn't record all of his/her classes, he/she will often record a specific class if you tell them you need to miss it for a legit reason.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 am

Can any current students give some feedback as to what the cost of attendance actually is vs. the estimates provided on the law school website?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:47 am

Wahoos wrote:Can any current students give some feedback as to what the cost of attendance actually is vs. the estimates provided on the law school website?
Its lower than that. Depends on a lot of things, where you live and if you have roommates being the primary one. Also if you have a car or not and if you get a paying job in the summer or plan to work for a judge and need money for all 1L summer, and what your health insurance arrangements are (under the new regulations you can stay on your parents until 26 or something). The bottom line is that if you have the money, you will probably spend at least some of it, so take a lower amount because you can always up it later if need be.

With no car living with a roommate in Ivy or something, I would suggest talking around half to 3/5 of the max for living expenses and way less for books. If you use the PILA sale and buy used from the bookstore I think that you can definitely get your books for both semesters to be under 1k, maybe less. I would suggest taking enough to pay interest on your loans while in school. Just a guess, but maybe 9-13k above tuition + whatever you need for health insurance/car insurance + whatever you want to have for the summer. This depends on factors above of course.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:02 am

Do people actually get jobs from resume collect or should I just be mass mailing the firm even if they do res collect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Largo219

New

Post by Largo219 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Is anyone familiar with the gun policy in Virginia? Specifically, how easy/difficult is it to obtain a CCW permit there?

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:02 am

sup w/ dem grades

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 pm

616rewind wrote:sup w/ dem grades
I'm guessing you'll get most of them by the end of Monday next week. HTH.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 am

Hi, looks like I'll be attending UVA this fall, very excited. Just a couple questions for anyone who has the information:

I have an apartment on Arlington, but there's no washer/dryer, where's the easiest place to do laundry? Is it possible to get into the laundry rooms at the Jeffersonian?

Anyone know if it's possible to get dish network or any other options at those apartments? I know I can get Comcast but the deals I found for that seemed pretty crappy.

Good running trails near campus?

There's a reception with Dean Mahoney this Thursday in Richmond, anyone know what exactly this is? It said UVA law students and alumnae, is it just a mixer? Like ASW or more like a chance for alumnae to network?

Thanks!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 am

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 am

YCrevolution wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Hi, looks like I'll be attending UVA this fall, very excited. Just a couple questions for anyone who has the information:

I have an apartment on Arlington, but there's no washer/dryer, where's the easiest place to do laundry? Is it possible to get into the laundry rooms at the Jeffersonian?

Anyone know if it's possible to get dish network or any other options at those apartments? I know I can get Comcast but the deals I found for that seemed pretty crappy.

Good running trails near campus?

There's a reception with Dean Mahoney this Thursday in Richmond, anyone know what exactly this is? It said UVA law students and alumnae, is it just a mixer? Like ASW or more like a chance for alumnae to network?

Thanks!
Jeffersonian laundry: Yes, if you live there. It's generally possible if you don't, but I don't recommend that. Besides which, they're laundry machines aren't particularly effective. I usually just do my laundry up at a laundromat off of Hydraulic Road.

Running trails: Decent, I think, but I'm not into outdoor-sy stuff. Others probably have more input on this.

Reception: My vague recollection of the email was something about it being a networking opportunity.
He is doing alumni stuff as well so it may have to do with that

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am

Is there, and if there is, how annoying is the exam software? Would I be able to have OneNote open or is it all locked down?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 am

chem wrote:Is there, and if there is, how annoying is the exam software? Would I be able to have OneNote open or is it all locked down?
We don't use exam software. You just upload word docs.
pjo wrote:Do people actually get jobs from resume collect or should I just be mass mailing the firm even if they do res collect?
I did. And I wouldn't mass mail the firm if they do resume collect.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am

BruceWayne wrote:
chem wrote:Is there, and if there is, how annoying is the exam software? Would I be able to have OneNote open or is it all locked down?
We don't use exam software. You just upload word docs.
pjo wrote:Do people actually get jobs from resume collect or should I just be mass mailing the firm even if they do res collect?
I did. And I wouldn't mass mail the firm if they do resume collect.
Awesome. Thanks! I was worried the extra real estate of my 15" would be wasted

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm

0/4 grades received.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Depending on the class you might not be allowed to have external programs open other than your exam document in Word, however. I would say that in at least 1/3 of my classes, including closed book, we were not allowed to access digital documents during the exam -- anything you wanted to look at had to be printed out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”