UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
plum

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by plum » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Doritos wrote:You don't need grades when you go to a T9 law school.
Career Services OGI Handbook wrote:If you are not in the top third of the class AND a strong interviewer, then your plan should include more than just OGI. This is also true if you do not have prior work experience.
Worst. Golden. Ticket. Ever.
what counts as WE anyways

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon May 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Our promotion to a t-9 raised my gpa .1 wooooooooo

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 pm

plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Career Services OGI Handbook wrote:If you are not in the top third of the class AND a strong interviewer, then your plan should include more than just OGI. This is also true if you do not have prior work experience.
Full-time jobs, preferably post-graduation, and most preferably developing/demonstrating skills that firms might consider transferable to the practice of law.

Speaking of OGI and the handbook, I'd recommend that all of us rising 2L's read it. We received it May 13 in an email from Kevin Donovan entitled "OGI – All Mysteries Revealed & Other Fall Job Search Information." I've been reading it piece by piece over the last few days, and I now feel like I have a far better grasp on the process and how to get a job from it than I otherwise would have. The fact that it's 90 pages long makes it seem a bit intimidating at first, but it reads quickly and is easy to put down and come back to.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Full-time jobs, preferably post-graduation, and most preferably developing/demonstrating skills that firms might consider transferable to the practice of law.

Speaking of OGI and the handbook, I'd recommend that all of us rising 2L's read it. We received it May 13 in an email from Kevin Donovan entitled "OGI – All Mysteries Revealed & Other Fall Job Search Information." I've been reading it piece by piece over the last few days, and I now feel like I have a far better grasp on the process and how to get a job from it than I otherwise would have. The fact that it's 90 pages long makes it seem a bit intimidating at first, but it reads quickly and is easy to put down and come back to.
When I am going to open that attachment IS the mystery....
in all seriousness I am still on summer mode and won't be opening that until another month.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm

uvahooo wrote:in all seriousness I am still on summer mode and won't be opening that until another month.
most important things to note, given your plan. there are a handful of firm receptions and career fairs going down that have an RSVP date. probably worth going to a few. Also, CSO guarantees review of cover letters and resumes if you get it to them before june 20th (though you may have already have them review that in anticipation of your summer job).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: OGI prep over the summer - you don't need to do 2.5 months worth of research, but I'd recommend doing a little bit every day. I never met anybody who thought they did too much research, and I DID know a lot of people who regretted either approaching the process too lightly or failing to do enough research. Comments like "I didn't know I should / shouldn't have bid on ______" became fairly common as OGI wound on and people started to gain more first hand knowledge of the legal market.
dailygrind wrote:
uvahooo wrote:in all seriousness I am still on summer mode and won't be opening that until another month.
most important things to note, given your plan. there are a handful of firm receptions and career fairs going down that have an RSVP date. probably worth going to a few. Also, CSO guarantees review of cover letters and resumes if you get it to them before june 20th (though you may have already have them review that in anticipation of your summer job).
wtf how many mods do we have at UVA? Are you a rising 2L? How did I miss this? We should put the TLS logo on the front of the building :lol:

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon May 30, 2011 4:26 pm

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon May 30, 2011 4:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:wtf how many mods do we have at UVA? Are you a rising 2L? How did I miss this? We should put the TLS logo on the front of the building :lol:
2 current students, 4 who have been students. unfortunately harvard's outpacing us slightly - they've got 2 current students, but i think next year they're gonna have 3. goddamn diploma mills up in here, man. and yeah, i'm a rising 2L.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:45 pm

dailygrind wrote:
thesealocust wrote:wtf how many mods do we have at UVA? Are you a rising 2L? How did I miss this? We should put the TLS logo on the front of the building :lol:
2 current students, 4 who have been students. unfortunately harvard's outpacing us slightly - they've got 2 current students, but i think next year they're gonna have 3. goddamn diploma mills up in here, man. and yeah, i'm a rising 2L.
This could be a problem. I like to know when I'm walking past a TLS mod in the hall, so I can be on my best behavior. Every time I see YCR coming I try to ditch the Gin bottles / underage hookers / alt accounts / TLS spam empire before I get in trouble :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
This could be a problem. I like to know when I'm walking past a TLS mod in the hall, so I can be on my best behavior. Every time I see YCR coming I try to ditch the Gin bottles / underage hookers / alt accounts / TLS spam empire before I get in trouble :/
i wouldn't worry about it too much. i already know everything, and i'm waiting till you make it big so i can have blackmail opportunities. student debt is a hard burden to carry alone. i prefer large stacks of andy jackson, in case you were curious.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Islandgirl8671

New

Post by Islandgirl8671 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi,
Thank you for all of the helpful information. I have just one question for you.

I will be attending UVA law this fall and am trying to determine how much to take out in loans. The school suggests $1,800 for books and supplies. It seems high to me, but is that about right from your experience?
Thank you!

fouronthe4loor

New

Post by fouronthe4loor » Mon May 30, 2011 5:47 pm

plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
plum wrote:one of my professors still hasn't even printed out our exams off lawweb
Two of mine haven't, including Con Law. But, hey, who needs grades anyway?
still true
FYI - just because the "submit/view" exam button is still there doesn't mean it hasn't been printed. Click on it & it likely says "Your exam for this course has already been printed and given to your instructor. It is no longer available for review."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

edited
Last edited by socraticmethodman on Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon May 30, 2011 5:51 pm

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Islandgirl8671 wrote:Hi,
Thank you for all of the helpful information. I have just one question for you.

I will be attending UVA law this fall and am trying to determine how much to take out in loans. The school suggests $1,800 for books and supplies. It seems high to me, but is that about right from your experience?
Thank you!
If you get your casebooks used online, you should be able to spend less than $400 a semester on casebooks (I spent about $300 for my first semester, $100 for my second, $250/semester for 2L year ).

Excluding a computer, you'll need some paper and pens/pencils.
and you may also want supplements, which can actually end up being really costly. i bought used and i think i ended up spending like 200 bucks on supplements first semester (i'm including in this the money that i spent on the barbri deposit - absolutely worth it for the civ pro review alone). second semester i think i was more reasonable and only spent like 90 bucks. the amount spent on supplements varies a lot from person to person, but first semester when you're pretty unsure of what you're doing, going overboard buying supplements seems like the correct strategy because hey, what's 30 more bucks in what could be one of the most important investments in your life so far, and what if it holds the magic answer that gives you an A?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 pm

plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
plum wrote:one of my professors still hasn't even printed out our exams off lawweb
still true
Yeah, I'm not sure this is always true. Last semester I believe one of my classes said the exams hadn't been printed even up to the day on which grades were posted.

Edit: Also, when do we end up registering for classes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Hey guys,

I've been fortunate to have been invited out to lunch by the hiring partner and another attorney of the firm where I work, both of whom went to UVA for undergrad (despite having over 100 attorneys, and most of the T14 including HYS represented, there aren't any UVA Law grads there yet). They've also reached out to some other friends of theirs who've attended UVA Law and we're all going to lunch at a pretty classy place on Thursday. The hiring partner gave me some links to the other attorneys' profiles on their firm websites so I can see what they've done and put some names to faces between now and then.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you know what I can expect or have any advice to give me to make the most out of this. As of now my only goal is to be outgoing and social and not make an ass out of myself.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Mon May 30, 2011 7:49 pm

fouronthe4loor wrote:
plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
still true
FYI - just because the "submit/view" exam button is still there doesn't mean it hasn't been printed. Click on it & it likely says "Your exam for this course has already been printed and given to your instructor. It is no longer available for review."
lol i wish. the entire file is still sitting there, while the prof is prolly sipping mojitos on the beach.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Hey guys,

I've been fortunate to have been invited out to lunch by the hiring partner and another attorney of the firm where I work, both of whom went to UVA for undergrad (despite having over 100 attorneys, and most of the T14 including HYS represented, there aren't any UVA Law grads there yet). They've also reached out to some other friends of theirs who've attended UVA Law and we're all going to lunch at a pretty classy place on Thursday. The hiring partner gave me some links to the other attorneys' profiles on their firm websites so I can see what they've done and put some names to faces between now and then.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you know what I can expect or have any advice to give me to make the most out of this. As of now my only goal is to be outgoing and social and not make an ass out of myself.
Just be social and chat. Ask questions about what they do and how school was. See if you like them and the stuff they do. I'm sure it's somewhat stressful, but there's no real key to these things. Try to have a good time and be normal?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon May 30, 2011 8:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Just be social and chat. Ask questions about what they do and how school was. See if you like them and the stuff they do. I'm sure it's somewhat stressful, but there's no real key to these things. Try to have a good time and be normal?
That's asking a lot. Law students are generally not capable of being normal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:That's asking a lot. Law students are generally not capable of being normal.
Don't have to tell me twice, I've lived with you for 2 years now :P

fouronthe4loor

New

Post by fouronthe4loor » Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm

plum wrote:
fouronthe4loor wrote:
plum wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Two of mine haven't, including Con Law. But, hey, who needs grades anyway?
still true
lol i wish. the entire file is still sitting there, while the prof is prolly sipping mojitos on the beach.
Oh wow, that's awful - I'm sorry!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Thanks for this, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just take it easy and see what happens!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon May 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Can 2Ls give a quick run down of how the different markets worked out for people at last year's OGI?

NYC: ????
DC: ????
California:????
Chicago:???
Texas:???
Atlanta:???
Boston:???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”