UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by WVUCelticFan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm

That bbq was damn good. I was expecting typical cafeteria/catering bbq and was pleasantly surprised. Def worth it.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:I would like to ask your opinion on why career services paints a different picture than what you guys say
Because there's no reason to tell 0Ls the keys to OGI success are (1) grades (a zero sum game) and (2) being charming/likable in 20-30 minute interviews, even if those things are of supreme importance.

Career services publicly pushes "JUST NETWORK, GUYZ!" because it makes their job easier and it's one of the few things students can control. It only makes a difference for like 2% of people, but it's still a lot more influential than "GRADE ON TO LAW REVIEW!" "MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH YOUR INTERVIEWER!!!" and "BE THE CHILD OF A BIGLAW PARTNER OR OTHER RICH PERSON!" (all far more important than networking) which is essentially "no duh" advice.

Career services publicly pushes being prepared for behavioral interviewing because, again, it's something that's easily controlled. You either prepared for behavioral questions or you didn't. It will probably matter in maybe 10% of your interviews at most. But it's still more helpful advice than "BE LIKABLE!" or "CHARM SOMEONE IN 15 MINUTES!" because, although those things are probably way more important, you can't teach likability the same way you can prepare people for behavioral questions.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

So what's the job situation really like? I have obviously only come in contact with a small percentage of UVA students plus the shirt wearers.

How tough was it to get a firm job for this summer? If you do not receive an offer through OGI, how much is the school doing to land you a job. Do you know anyone who struck out at OGI but still got a firm job for the summer? Anyone with good grades but no job?

How many worked 1L summer in a firm? Do you know anyone who has a part-time job in a firm during the school year.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Thanks for the explanation.

So what's the job situation really like? I have obviously only come in contact with a small percentage of UVA students plus the shirt wearers.

How tough was it to get a firm job for this summer? If you do not receive an offer through OGI, how much is the school doing to land you a job. Do you know anyone who struck out at OGI but still got a firm job for the summer? Anyone with good grades but no job?

How many worked 1L summer in a firm? Do you know anyone who has a part-time job in a firm during the school year.
As much as people are stressing it, I really don't think you understand how tied to grades and prestige legal firm hiring is. Honestly, and I know this from interacting a lot of with people who work outside of the legal field, a lot of your notions about what it takes to get a job (that come from the corporate world and other fields) will hurt you in regards to law firm hiring. Many of the firms that people that frequent this website (and people that frequent top law schools) are going for ("Vault" firms etc.) hire mainly off of paper credentials. And when I say paper I mean grades and prestige of law school. So by going to UVA you clearly have one of those credentials crossed off of their checklist. The next step is the grades credential. Honestly, for a lot of these firms, barring particularly valued work experience like finance, management consulting, and military experience as well as diversity that's about all that matters. There are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part that's what these big vault firms care about.

To these firms you are a faceless resume with the possibility of adding some diversity. That really is it. It's hard for people who've worked in other fields to understand it but that's the way it is. If you are the type that uses"behavioral interview expertise" and a "go getter team player" personality as being your main selling points for getting a job, and expect those kinds of things to be pivotal in your chance at getting a job, you should be attending the school next door to the Law School. Or in fairness you should be aiming for public interest, but they're looking for your ability to "sell yourself" as a PI person, not a corporate person.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Honestly, for a lot of these firms, barring particularly valued work experience like finance, management consulting, and military experience as well as diversity that's about all that matters. There are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part that's what these big vault firms care about.
I have those attributes (minus the military). I have some other stuff that's PR worthy, or always get's picked up off my resume and get talked about in interviews or in person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:23 pm

dulcatis wrote:
arism87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD
HAVE A GREAT TIME !!! :lol: :lol: :) :D :) :lol: :) :)

(hoping obnoxiously excessive cheer will cancel out the negative vibes in this thread, lol)
Yaaay positive vibes! <3

2Ls, is the bbq worth going to in the rain? And are there any profs we should avoid/definitely try to sit in on their mini-classes?
The BBQ is definitely worth going to--if it's in the rain it will be indoors (that's what they did 2 years ago for me, anyway).

Who are the professors that are teaching the mini-classes? There are a bunch of great professors here, but I'm not sure who will be teaching.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Cavalier wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
arism87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD
HAVE A GREAT TIME !!! :lol: :lol: :) :D :) :lol: :) :)

(hoping obnoxiously excessive cheer will cancel out the negative vibes in this thread, lol)
Yaaay positive vibes! <3

2Ls, is the bbq worth going to in the rain? And are there any profs we should avoid/definitely try to sit in on their mini-classes?
The BBQ is definitely worth going to--if it's in the rain it will be indoors (that's what they did 2 years ago for me, anyway).

Who are the professors that are teaching the mini-classes? There are a bunch of great professors here, but I'm not sure who will be teaching.
Coughlin will be doing a Con Law mock class. They sent us a case to read - Lawrence v. Texas.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

hmm, maybe i was reading the wrong schedule when i offered suggestions before? in any case, coughlin's class will be great.

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Cavalier wrote: Who are the professors that are teaching the mini-classes? There are a bunch of great professors here, but I'm not sure who will be teaching.
Business & Corporate Law: Morley
Clinics: Nagin
Con Law & Legal History: Magill
Crim: Cannon
Health Law: Riley & Shepherd
Human Rights: Hurwitz
Intellectual Property: Sprigman
International Law: Setear
Law and Public Service Program: Block
Supreme Court Litigation Clinic: Stancil

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

I've heard good things about Morley, Magill, and Setear. I wouldn't recommend Cannon since he's not a criminal law professor - he teaches almost exclusively environmental law and land use stuff. Stancil should be interesting, I'd be tempted to go to that as a 2L since I've never met him--the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is for the über gunners.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Cavalier wrote:I've heard good things about Morley, Magill, and Setear. I wouldn't recommend Cannon since he's not a criminal law professor - he teaches almost exclusively environmental law and land use stuff. Stancil should be interesting, I'd be tempted to go to that as a 2L since I've never met him--the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is for the über gunners.

Cannon is doing the Environmental session, not Crim. Crim is with Forde-Mazrui. Also, are these mini classes or just info sessions? I was under the impression that it was the latter and the only quasi-class was Con Law with Coughlin. Also, with that Con Law mock class, do they plan on putting everyone at ASD in one room together? It's not offered at multiple times, which leads me to believe this is the case. Just seems like that's a lot of ppl for a mock class.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:00 pm

pjo wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I've heard good things about Morley, Magill, and Setear. I wouldn't recommend Cannon since he's not a criminal law professor - he teaches almost exclusively environmental law and land use stuff. Stancil should be interesting, I'd be tempted to go to that as a 2L since I've never met him--the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is for the über gunners.

Cannon is doing the Environmental session, not Crim. Crim is with Forde-Mazrui. Also, are these mini classes or just info sessions? I was under the impression that it was the latter and the only quasi-class was Con Law with Coughlin. Also, with that Con Law mock class, do they plan on putting everyone at ASD in one room together? It's not offered at multiple times, which leads me to believe this is the case. Just seems like that's a lot of ppl for a mock class.
they are basically info sessions, with each prof giving their respective spiel on their specialty and also the school in general. all of them left about 10 minutes of the 30 minute sessions to questions also

also, a lot of people don't go to the mock class because it's one of the last sessions of the day

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Coughlin will be doing a Con Law mock class. They sent us a case to read - Lawrence v. Texas.
That mock class is amazing. Coughlin is so full of energy and it's always great to hear her lecture. It was one of the things that convinced me to go to UVA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Coughlin will be doing a Con Law mock class. They sent us a case to read - Lawrence v. Texas.
That mock class is amazing. Coughlin is so full of energy and it's always great to hear her lecture. It was one of the things that convinced me to go to UVA.
Same. Then I ended up not getting Coughlin at all 1L year.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I'll probably be wandering around the BBQ tomorrow after 18:00.
I will as well. If anyone can spot me in real life you get a free bag of doritos. One of the mini-bags, I'm not made of money here.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Between journal receptions the last two days, the 1L firm receptions tonight, ASW tomorrow, and the softball tourney this weekend, I am/will be saturated in free booze. You all should definitely come to the bbq tomorrow if you can make it. The weather is going to suck, but there are no lame ice breakers or restrictions on your time, and lots of tipsy law students. To me, that seems like a much better time to really talk to people and actually make friends. Also, go to bar review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Doritos wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I'll probably be wandering around the BBQ tomorrow after 18:00.
I will as well. If anyone can spot me in real life you get a free bag of doritos. One of the mini-bags, I'm not made of money here.
I'll be at the barbecue too. I'll be the one smugly eating a mini bag of Doritos.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 pm

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Doritos wrote:
If people want LSP t-shirts, let me know.
Loving how this thread no longer has anything to do with 2L taking questions... I'll try to make the BBQ tonight... I won't know who any of you are, but I'm a rather tall (5'11'') blonde female.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 am

kelc213 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Loving how this thread no longer has anything to do with 2L taking questions... I'll try to make the BBQ tonight... I won't know who any of you are, but I'm a rather tall (5'11'') blonde female.
I can just imagine us all going, "so, you on TLS? Oh no shit, that's you?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 am

I'll be there, wearing my purple UW t-shirt.

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:40 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
I was thinking of making a T-shirt with my LSAT, GPA, URM/Non-URM status, TLS sn, and my application date. Too much?

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:14 am

kelc213 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Doritos wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
That's how me and R6 met a whole bunch of TLS people during the March ASW

alex_cryp

New

Post by alex_cryp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am

I'll be there. Tall (5' 10") long dark brown hair, dark skinny jeans, grey ruffle blouse, black boots.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”