UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Br3v

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Br3v » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Is it the same guy who is on the computer in the back of the lib all the time?

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Does Walt care about attendance?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:00 am

LadyMary wrote:Does Walt care about attendance?
no

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:09 am

Is Phi Delta Phi ("PDP") worth joining?
I've never heard of it, but got invited to join this year. Thinking I should just trash the email...

thjefferson23

New

Post by thjefferson23 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Anyone have an idea of what the cutoff for coif was last year with the new GPA policy? Trying to get a feel for whether it's worth it to gun hard as a 3L...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:25 pm

gunning hard as a second semester 3L in the classes you're already in? or gunning hard for all of next year?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 pm

sprezz wrote:gunning hard as a second semester 3L in the classes you're already in? or gunning hard for all of next year?
It doesn't matter so why ask?

thjefferson23

New

Post by thjefferson23 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm

Br3v wrote:
sprezz wrote:gunning hard as a second semester 3L in the classes you're already in? or gunning hard for all of next year?
It doesn't matter so why ask?
next year. i was doing the math and i might end up with a 3.7 at the end of this semester. if coif was something like a 3.8 i definitely am not going to take enough credits to make up the difference.

potatoes

New

Post by potatoes » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Anybody think they're going to cancel school tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:59 am

potatoes wrote:Anybody think they're going to cancel school tomorrow?
Yeah

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 am

Should cancel it today too tbh

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:18 pm

Can anyone speak to opportunities for paid work during 2L and 3L? Trying to figure out if I can plan on making some $ those years. Thanks!!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Meno wrote:Can anyone speak to opportunities for paid work during 2L and 3L? Trying to figure out if I can plan on making some $ those years. Thanks!!
are you talking like working as a waiter or in retail part time? Yeah you can find something pretty easy, I know a few people who did. If you're thinking about trying to find legal work, that's harder but I know a guy who worked at a small firm in town for almost all 3 years. Then he decided he liked it and stayed on when he graduated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Meno wrote:Can anyone speak to opportunities for paid work during 2L and 3L? Trying to figure out if I can plan on making some $ those years. Thanks!!
I know a few people that work in the library part time. Probably other stuff like that available to. Also - a lot of professors need research assistants during the year, although I think they generally try and pull from VLR.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 pm

This is a question for current students who have elementary school age children (maybe that's no one on TLS). What has been your experience with Greer Elementary? The Copeley Hill apartments seem to be in the Greer school zone, which is rated 2/10 on greatschools. That's really the only major downside we're seeing with Copeley Hill. Any input?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Can someone give me a general outline of summer jobs available each year (or point me toward a good thread/resource)? I'm searching but having a hard time finding an analysis of what is available, how likely it is to get each, pros/cons, and how much they generally pay. For background I'm shooting for biglaw and trying to maximize summer pay to help pay down loans. Thanks.

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 pm

philawsopher wrote:This is a question for current students who have elementary school age children (maybe that's no one on TLS). What has been your experience with Greer Elementary? The Copeley Hill apartments seem to be in the Greer school zone, which is rated 2/10 on greatschools. That's really the only major downside we're seeing with Copeley Hill. Any input?
I live in Copeley Hill. My son is at Stone Robinson (pre-K) and will be at Greer next year. Both schools have low ratings on greatschools, but fwiw, Stone Robinson has seemed good. I've only been to Greer once for an observation, but it seems good too. Don't seem run down or anything like that and I can't really tell what the methodology is for the low ratings they have received. The schools are nothing out of this world or cutting edge, but the teachers that I met (and my son's teachers) seem to be really committed to doing a good job and connecting with the kids. We get a daily written report, they take pictures, send home lots of crafts, and my son likes it.

I also will just throw in for Copeley Hill generally. The buildings are a bit old, and a little gross at first (20 layers of paint on the walls, linoleum flooring for the 3brms), but you can make them work. And the environment around the housing is very nice, green, parkish, with two playgrounds, a creek, barbecue areas. All utilities are free and 28 free loads of laundry a month (14 if you count wash/dry as 1 load). Even if you're assigned to the buildings farthest from the law school, you're looking at a max 10 minute walk. If you luck out, you could have as little as a 3 minute walk. That means being able to let your partner have the car to themselves, and enables you to easily run back and forth between home and school when you have a break. Plus, the gym is within walking distance too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Can someone give me a general outline of summer jobs available each year (or point me toward a good thread/resource)? I'm searching but having a hard time finding an analysis of what is available, how likely it is to get each, pros/cons, and how much they generally pay. For background I'm shooting for biglaw and trying to maximize summer pay to help pay down loans. Thanks.
Do you mean for 1L summer?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 am

defdef wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:Can someone give me a general outline of summer jobs available each year (or point me toward a good thread/resource)? I'm searching but having a hard time finding an analysis of what is available, how likely it is to get each, pros/cons, and how much they generally pay. For background I'm shooting for biglaw and trying to maximize summer pay to help pay down loans. Thanks.
Do you mean for 1L summer?
Yes, sorry for the ambiguity.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:07 pm

defdef wrote:I live in Copeley Hill....
defdef, thanks so much for this post! Really really helpful to our situation.

Are you in a 3 bedroom unit at Copeley Hill? We're hoping to peak in and see one this week during open house. My SO will be taking a tour of Greer as well.
Last edited by philawsopher on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 pm

In town for ASW and my mom/grandmother are driving down to see me on Saturday after the events. Any suggestions on the best place in Cville to have a nice, quiet, not walletbreaking dinner?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Nagster5 wrote:In town for ASW and my mom/grandmother are driving down to see me on Saturday after the events. Any suggestions on the best place in Cville to have a nice, quiet, not walletbreaking dinner?
There are quite literally dozens but I will throw my hat in for Bella's on West Main St. Small, mom-and-pop Italian place where the owner will come over to your table and walk you through the wine list. $12-$15 will get you an enormous portion of delicious Italian food.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 pm

rhododactylos wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:In town for ASW and my mom/grandmother are driving down to see me on Saturday after the events. Any suggestions on the best place in Cville to have a nice, quiet, not walletbreaking dinner?
There are quite literally dozens but I will throw my hat in for Bella's on West Main St. Small, mom-and-pop Italian place where the owner will come over to your table and walk you through the wine list. $12-$15 will get you an enormous portion of delicious Italian food.
Sold, thanks!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:49 pm

philawsopher wrote:This is a question for current students who have elementary school age children (maybe that's no one on TLS). What has been your experience with Greer Elementary? The Copeley Hill apartments seem to be in the Greer school zone, which is rated 2/10 on greatschools. That's really the only major downside we're seeing with Copeley Hill. Any input?
As a parent, one thing I've learned is that Great Schools scores are pretty much useless. I have moved on from C'ville but lived there for a decade, spending three years in the law school. The schools in Charlottesville and Albemarle are very good.

GoogleWasMyIdea

Bronze

Post by GoogleWasMyIdea » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Last edited by GoogleWasMyIdea on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”