UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Law Sauce

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 am

Can someone explain this chart to me. It is very ambiguous.--LinkRemoved--

Does this mean that there were 31 public interest jobs and 22 federal govt jobs for the class of 2010 or for the class of 2007-2009 or at the 2L OGI in 2010 or what?

Do those numbers seem about right for one class or not.

It can be found here http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/brochur ... areers.pdf

sorry I had trouble with the hosting
Last edited by Law Sauce on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 am

Those numbers are extremely confusing... way to go Career Services. I think those numbers refer to one class--they seem to low to refer to three--but who knows.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:06 am

I figured it out, it is for all three classes together. add them up and you get 83 which equals the total in the graph above.

as of http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/career_map.htm there were 53 public service jobs identified in those specific locations (which seem to be all the biggest spots) for the class of 2007-2009. Which is 17 or 18 per class. not sure where the other 30 come from.

gunner3

New

Post by gunner3 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 am

Hey so I will be visiting UVA on April 27th or 28th. Is there anything you suggest I do? Are there any classes that would be cool to attend? Thanks!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 am

I apologize if it has been discussed, but would anyone like to comment on the John R. Justice Grant Program?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cubyfan21

New

Post by Cubyfan21 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:44 am

How big of an effect has the recession had on the ability of a UVA grad to land a biglaw job?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:How big of an effect has the recession had on the ability of a UVA grad to land a biglaw job?
It has had a big effect on the ability of law students at every school except Yale and Stanford.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:How big of an effect has the recession had on the ability of a UVA grad to land a biglaw job?
It has had a big effect on the ability of law students at every school except Yale and Stanford.
do we still not have data yet from this past OGI?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

plum wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I doubt career services will release it; I don't think my year had data from OGI 2009.
gunner3 wrote:Hey so I will be visiting UVA on April 27th or 28th. Is there anything you suggest I do? Are there any classes that would be cool to attend? Thanks!
I'd suggest you check out a con law or property class since they are required first year courses--you'll get a taste of your next year. Other than that, just go on a tour of the school, look at housing if necessary, maybe check out the rest of the area (the main Grounds, the corner, the downtown mall) if you've never been here before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:08 pm

gunner3 wrote:Hey so I will be visiting UVA on April 27th or 28th. Is there anything you suggest I do? Are there any classes that would be cool to attend? Thanks!
i think cavalier covered it pretty well. a lot of people love sprigman for con law and he's got a thursday 330 class. i'd like to also mention in passing that you're visiting on days which are less than a week from exams, so i hope that you don't judge the student body too much based on that sample.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 pm

plum wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I actually obtained a video clip of it but it's NSFL.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 am

How difficult is it to get into a clinic as a 2L? Specifically the environmental law clinic. From what I understand theres only 20 spots, which leads me to believe not many 2L's can get it.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Giving away my greenness here, but what is the process like for off campus housing? I'm assuming most people intend to pay for it with loans, and a lot can't list prior/current employment. My only real credit history is that I've always paid my credit card on time. Are most places satisfied with a security deposit? It seems like some of them want to see proof that you're receiving loans/bank statements first? Maybe a co-signer? Am I blowing something up that is generally pretty easy? Are you basically good to go as long as you show that you've been offered/accepted loans that exceed the amount of rent?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Giving away my greenness here, but what is the process like for off campus housing? I'm assuming most people intend to pay for it with loans, and a lot can't list prior/current employment. My only real credit history is that I've always paid my credit card on time. Are most places satisfied with a security deposit? It seems like some of them want to see proof that you're receiving loans/bank statements first? Maybe a co-signer? Am I blowing something up that is generally pretty easy? Are you basically good to go as long as you show that you've been offered/accepted loans that exceed the amount of rent?
Security deposit and general lack of skulking demeanor will get you into most places here once you demonstrate that the loans available to you far exceed the cost of any rent.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks. So basically you have to decide on a place first, so you know how much to take out in loans for rent, because they are not going to approve you unless you've shown you've accepted them? (Living expenses are going to be my only expenses, so what I take out is largely contingent on rent.)

PancakeMonster

New

Post by PancakeMonster » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I was accepted and received a pretty decent scholarship, but I can't figure out what the scholarship stipulations are (GPA/classrank wise?). Any 1Ls know about their general requirements?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 pm

PancakeMonster wrote:I was accepted and received a pretty decent scholarship, but I can't figure out what the scholarship stipulations are (GPA/classrank wise?). Any 1Ls know about their general requirements?
Most scholarships just require you to stay in good standing (attend enough classes, and dont fail)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
PancakeMonster wrote:I was accepted and received a pretty decent scholarship, but I can't figure out what the scholarship stipulations are (GPA/classrank wise?). Any 1Ls know about their general requirements?
Most scholarships just require you to stay in good standing (attend enough classes, and dont fail)
This. Only TTT schools have grade requirements attached to their scholarships.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Did the law school tuition go up? I saw that the UG's tuition went up 8.9%, but I didn't receive any email from an administrator telling me my tuition is going to be jacked up next year as of yet.

I assume this has something to do with the fact that the law school is self-sufficient.

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:09 pm

5ky wrote:Did the law school tuition go up? I saw that the UG's tuition went up 8.9%, but I didn't receive any email from an administrator telling me my tuition is going to be jacked up next year as of yet.

I assume this has something to do with the fact that the law school is self-sufficient.
Your tuition will go up each year. At every law school. It's not like the students can drop out in protest.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 pm

OldManHunger wrote:
5ky wrote:Did the law school tuition go up? I saw that the UG's tuition went up 8.9%, but I didn't receive any email from an administrator telling me my tuition is going to be jacked up next year as of yet.

Your tuition will go up each year. At every law school. It's not like the students can drop out in protest.

How interesting. Tell me more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:46 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
OldManHunger wrote:

How interesting. Tell me more.
I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:10 am

WVUCelticFan wrote: I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.
What bullshit. No matter how many times I hear that I never get used to it. I was talking to my neighbor, Class of '01, and he said his tuition was around 21 grand when he went. His eyes widened and his fuckin' mouth dropped open when I said what it was now.

I do believe that when I filled out my loan apps, the GradPlus loan was for a grand total of 49,900. Last year's tuition was 47,500. Guess they're a little hesitant about crossing that 50 grand mark, though I'm a little surprised they didn't make it 49,999.99 for good measure.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote: I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.
What bullshit. No matter how many times I hear that I never get used to it. I was talking to my neighbor, Class of '01, and he said his tuition was around 21 grand when he went. His eyes widened and his fuckin' mouth dropped open when I said what it was now.

I do believe that when I filled out my loan apps, the GradPlus loan was for a grand total of 49,900. Last year's tuition was 47,500. Guess they're a little hesitant about crossing that 50 grand mark, though I'm a little surprised they didn't make it 49,999.99 for good measure.
Salaries were also much lower back then.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:05 am

Kohinoor wrote:Salaries were also much lower back then.
...but bonuses were much higher.

125k + 40k bonus in 2001-2004 >>>>>>> 160k + 10k bonus in 2011

All told, law school was a much, much, much better proposition ~10 years ago. Lower admission requirements, lower tuition, higher chance at BigLaw, higher compensation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”