UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
envisciguy

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by envisciguy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:51 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Br3v wrote:Can someone on Libel post the 2014 vids already btw
They've been posting them slowly - check the Libel Show YouTube channel. There's only one left to go up (expect it by the end of the week at the latest). One video that was shown at the show won't be posted online for obvious reasons.
Huh? I'm dense, what are the obvious reasons? I was at the show, but don't know what you mean.
The video I'm referencing is the one that all the guys laughed at but none of the girls got. For professional reasons it won't be posted. Enough on that.
It's too bad since that was the best video. I think it would definitely win the ATL contest too.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:Anyone have any info on how helpful it is to be a Dillard Scholar? How valuable is the faculty mentor aspect?
I searched through the thread, but I couldn't find an answer to this. I'd also like to know if anyone has taken the scholarship and regretted it. Feel free to PM me. I'm trying to make a decision about it soon! Thanks.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Is SCOTUS clinic worth it? I think I'm somewhat competitive, but other clinics run much more to my interests. If it is a useful evil, in the way that law review is, I'll try for it. Otherwise I'll skip

Any thoughts?

Legal_Padawan

New

Post by Legal_Padawan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 pm

envisciguy wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote: They've been posting them slowly - check the Libel Show YouTube channel. There's only one left to go up (expect it by the end of the week at the latest). One video that was shown at the show won't be posted online for obvious reasons.
Huh? I'm dense, what are the obvious reasons? I was at the show, but don't know what you mean.
The video I'm referencing is the one that all the guys laughed at but none of the girls got. For professional reasons it won't be posted. Enough on that.
It's too bad since that was the best video. I think it would definitely win the ATL contest too.
Yeah seriously. Can't they just blur her face or something?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 am

I haven't seen whatever you guys are talking about, but if the creators/whoever feel like it shouldn't be online, then I'm guessing it DEFINITELY shouldn't be online, and shouldn't be on ATL most of all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 am

5ky wrote:I haven't seen whatever you guys are talking about, but if the creators/whoever feel like it shouldn't be online, then I'm guessing it DEFINITELY shouldn't be online, and shouldn't be on ATL most of all.
Exactly. The ones that were submitted to ATL were "Little Grounds" and "Gunners without Arms". Both are on the YouTube channel. I would've gone with "Greater Brains" over "Gunners" but it's already been decided/sent in.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
5ky wrote:I haven't seen whatever you guys are talking about, but if the creators/whoever feel like it shouldn't be online, then I'm guessing it DEFINITELY shouldn't be online, and shouldn't be on ATL most of all.
Exactly. The ones that were submitted to ATL were "Little Grounds" and "Gunners without Arms". Both are on the YouTube channel. I would've gone with "Greater Brains" over "Gunners" but it's already been decided/sent in.
FWIW, I thought "Gunners Without Arms" was in terrible taste and way more offensive than The Video That Shall Not Be Named. "Greater Brains" is the best.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Anyone have an outline for Schwartzman's Con Law? Nothing in the outline bank, unfortunately.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 am

The MIA one was the best. Unfortunately if last years didn't win, neither of those 2 options will either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

Last edited by Wahoos on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

<edited in above post>
just saw that on youtube. i enjoy me some incredibly offensive humor, but, y'know...when it's funny. when it's not, it's just offensive. boo, libel
Last edited by sprezz on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 am

shadowofjazz wrote:The video I'm referencing is the one that all the guys laughed at but none of the girls got. For professional reasons it won't be posted. Enough on that.
pretty sure everyone got that actually

Deep Trench

New

Post by Deep Trench » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 pm

North wrote:Anyone have an outline for Schwartzman's Con Law? Nothing in the outline bank, unfortunately.
I just submitted mine, and it is available on the website.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Deep Trench wrote:
North wrote:Anyone have an outline for Schwartzman's Con Law? Nothing in the outline bank, unfortunately.
I just submitted mine, and it is available on the website.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 am

So that 15% off sale at courts & commerce just ended. I bought one of those cool UVA Law highball glasses and just decided I like it enough to get a couple more. Does C&C run really good sales around graduation or was 15% off the best I'll get? Great glass, but not close to worth $14 each.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 am

North wrote:So that 15% off sale at courts & commerce just ended. I bought one of those cool UVA Law highball glasses and just decided I like it enough to get a couple more. Does C&C run really good sales around graduation or was 15% off the best I'll get? Great glass, but not close to worth $14 each.
That place seems kind of pricey, I was going to buy a Gavel for my boss when I visited but damn thing was like $40 some odd dollars.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:09 am

They just do a clearance at the end of each semester, so in time to buy christmas or graduation gifts, not gonna get a better deal than this week. That shit is all really overpriced, but to be fair, it's largely because they're buying low volume items branded with UVA law logos. C&C is actually a non-profit if I recall correctly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm a committed 0L, and am thinking about living somewhere 5-10 minutes from the law school, driving time. I haven't done a super in depth search, but it seems like most of the housing within walking distance from the law school is already taken (besides Ivy Gardens, and after reading reviews on the internet I don't think I want to live there).

Is this a bad idea? And, how horrible is parking on campus?

Oh, also, where do people usually go for lunch? This is important to me :)

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Workingtitle wrote:I'm a committed 0L, and am thinking about living somewhere 5-10 minutes from the law school, driving time. I haven't done a super in depth search, but it seems like most of the housing within walking distance from the law school is already taken (besides Ivy Gardens, and after reading reviews on the internet I don't think I want to live there).

Most people eat on grounds, there is a small cafeteria and fridges if you want to bring your own.

Ivy isn't that bad. But besides that and Arlington (Jeffersonian, pavilion, random Arlington apartments across from both) there really isn't any other walking apartments. You could bike from more places like University Heights (some people walk probably) (~2 miles)

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Workingtitle wrote:I'm a committed 0L, and am thinking about living somewhere 5-10 minutes from the law school, driving time. I haven't done a super in depth search, but it seems like most of the housing within walking distance from the law school is already taken (besides Ivy Gardens, and after reading reviews on the internet I don't think I want to live there).

not a bad idea at all, i'm doing it all 3 years. i'm 12 minutes door to door to the law school and a short walk from the corner. parking at the school is never a problem though you do pay for a pass. you can pm me if you want, i answer variations of this question pretty often and since i'm switching apts this year i've probably looked at half the properties you could be curious about.

lunchwise a lot depends on class schedule, i feel like most don't eat out for lunch that often (unless sniffing out the free food in the school daily counts). but you can do the occasional (or daily if you want, i guess) jaunt to anything in barracks no problem; probably anywhere between the corner and stonefield is a good bet for an average lunch break in terms of time required.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 pm

If you have a parking pass, parking is great. If not, it's pretty terrible. There are many food options nearby; most are chains. The law school has a cafeteria but it's pretty terrible, and almost never open. It is surprising because there is a huge ability for the school to make a large profit by managing it better, and having longer hours as law students work longer hours (and many other departments frequent the law library).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 pm

On the lunch part, during 1L year, most of my lunch breaks were from 11:20am-2:00pm, so there is enough time to drive somewhere to eat. However, I found that I (and many other students) used our lunch breaks to catch up on reading, so even though your lunch break may be long, you might not have time to go out if you have work to do.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I was in Ivy 1L year and thought it was a great place to live.

If you were willing to live in Pavilion or Jeffersonian, there's honestly no reason to rule out Ivy. The cable/ internet there is crappy but other than that it's pretty nice (brighter/ more modern interiors than Jeffersonian and quieter + cheaper than Pavilion)

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey thanks for the responses everyone. I'm surprised to hear the opinion that Ivy Gardens are pretty good, because they had 89% of people online not recommend them :) I honestly though actually don't even know how they compare to Jeffersonian and the Pavilion, because by the time I started my search those were both completely sold out. It's possible the people who rated Ivy Gardens poorly are not a good sample.

But I don't know. It's tough because I can't actually physically go see the properties. I'll PM you once I've looked around a bit more, sprezz. Thanks for the offer.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Ivy is fine, and more than fine for a sight unseen housing search this close to move in. A huge portion of the 1L class lives there every year and it's definitely acceptable, but there's always something to gripe about and there are arguably better/cheaper alternatives (but generally requiring more notice and/or research)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”