UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chem

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by chem » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
chem wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:How are all the 1Ls doing after the first few weeks of school? I'll be in your shoes next year 8)
Keeping up with the social life is more work then doing the schoolwork IMO
True dat.

Ready to owned in softball tomorrow, chem?
Im pretty easily outted, so you should know you have no way of beating my section.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 am

Something big happen on campus? Interesting comment on the C/O 2015 Facebook page.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:47 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:Something big happen on campus? Interesting comment on the C/O 2015 Facebook page.
That has to do with that Mohammad video that caused all the unrest in the Middle East. Not sure why it was posted there...

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 am

Tom Joad wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Something big happen on campus? Interesting comment on the C/O 2015 Facebook page.
That has to do with that Mohammad video that caused all the unrest in the Middle East. Not sure why it was posted there...
Oh alright, wasn't familiar with that name.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Oh alright, wasn't familiar with that name.
Curious how someone from our class is already so great in a courtroom....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
you go to my law skool?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
you go to my law skool?
Yep.

And the post is deleted. Nice guy. Must have just been a momentary lapse of judgment (ironic considering those Syrian dudes probably would say the same of their actions).

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
you go to my law skool?
Yep.

And the post is deleted. Nice guy. Must have just been a momentary lapse of judgment (ironic considering those Syrian dudes probably would say the same of their actions).
which of these people are you

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm just dat dood sittin' in the library.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I'm just dat dood sittin' in the library.
y'all are fuckin crazy

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 am

Hey all,

I was admitted to UVA earlier today and was wondering when I should realistically start looking for housing. From reading this thread, I realize Ivy Gardens, Jeffersonian, and Arlington Condos are the ideal locations. I also realize its only September and don't want to needlessly fret early. What's a good time to start looking and any advice for a new admit?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Hey all,

I was admitted to UVA earlier today and was wondering when I should realistically start looking for housing. From reading this thread, I realize Ivy Gardens, Jeffersonian, and Arlington Condos are the ideal locations. I also realize its only September and don't want to needlessly fret early. What's a good time to start looking and any advice for a new admit?
Jeffersonian - best location for convenience and hilariously cheap price - you should look literally 11:59 PM EST 12/31/2012.

Everything else, sometime in the spring. Ivy Gardens will basically always have space as a fallback option.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 am

There's also a new apartment complex being built on Arlington which is scheduled to finish August 2013 (230 units). Don't know when in August, whether there will be delays, what the price is, etc. Seems like something worth investigating if you want more options, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 am

thesealocust wrote:

Jeffersonian - best location for convenience and hilariously cheap price - you should look literally 11:59 PM EST 12/31/2012.

Everything else, sometime in the spring. Ivy Gardens will basically always have space as a fallback option.
Wow, up until now I had been banking on living in Ivy, but DAMN, good prices in Jeffersonian. What's the catch? Is it a lot further from the school? Will it separate you from the majority of 1Ls?

Thanks for the heads up, time to rethink this.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 am

Jeffersonian is a little closer and the whole area is 1L city.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Wow, up until now I had been banking on living in Ivy, but DAMN, good prices in Jeffersonian. What's the catch? Is it a lot further from the school? Will it separate you from the majority of 1Ls?

Thanks for the heads up, time to rethink this.
Jeffersonian is cheaper, nicer, and closer to both the Law School and shopping (as well as both UVa and city buses, in case you don't have a car). The catch is that you have to get your application in the moment the ball drops in Times Square or else you'll never get an apartment there.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm

What does a "furnished" apartment in Jeffersonian include? I'm a little skeptical because it only costs an extra $20/month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:46 pm

The new place under construction looks like it will be awesome, but it's also ridiculously expensive, nearly twice as much as Ivy, based on the website.

I didn't get a place until mid-June, and there were plenty of Ivy apartments available, and even a few on Arlington Blvd (not Jeffersonian, of course).

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Tom Joad, I'm glad to see that you're using the self-tar.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:16 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:What does a "furnished" apartment in Jeffersonian include? I'm a little skeptical because it only costs an extra $20/month.
Two couches, two end tables, a coffee table, a dining room set, a desk, a dresser with a large mirror, a double bed

-Everything was brand new, or "like-brand new". Like most things at the Jeff, it's an incredibly good deal.
Last edited by pjo on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 pm

pjo wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Tom Joad, I'm glad to see that you're using the self-tar.
Likewise, pjo. Lookin' like a gamer, like a baller, playmaker, shot caller!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Does anyone have a good outline for contacts (Mahoney) or Torts (sprigman)

I have been looking at the SBA outline bank (which showed me that the outline I started is worthless) but I dont know which are the better quality ones.

I would like to make my own, I just really dont know the right process. I was taking all the rules out of the cases, in the order we were going through it in class (for contracts) but that doesn't seem to be the best idea. Any help?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Does anyone have a good outline for contacts (Mahoney) or Torts (sprigman)

I have been looking at the SBA outline bank (which showed me that the outline I started is worthless) but I dont know which are the better quality ones.

I would like to make my own, I just really dont know the right process. I was taking all the rules out of the cases, in the order we were going through it in class (for contracts) but that doesn't seem to be the best idea. Any help?
Your own will always be better than a borrowed one.

I'd stick to what you're doing with the rules from class.

Once you have a rule, go over your supplement and the E&E for each section and then fill out your outline some more.

Then look at the outline banks and make sure you didn't miss anything.

You should end up with a comprehensive outline and better still, you'll know everything in it. Remember in the exam there's barely enough time to look at your outline, you need to know it. The best way to know it is to have written it.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 pm

albanach wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Does anyone have a good outline for contacts (Mahoney) or Torts (sprigman)

Once you have a rule, go over your supplement and the E&E for each section and then fill out your outline some more.

You should end up with a comprehensive outline and better still, you'll know everything in it. Remember in the exam there's barely enough time to look at your outline, you need to know it. The best way to know it is to have written it.
I am definitely going to write my own, that is not a question. The problem is that I just dont know the best way to go about it. Are the rules from the cases the most important thing (I feel like all we do is talk about cases) or should I just worry about the way they got there and the UCC (for goods) and Restatement/common law for the rest (I know this includes cases) I just think I may need to be more systematic.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:56 pm

albanach wrote:

I don't think a lot of this is true. I know people who didn't make their own outlines and did very well.

I made my own outlines and looked at them extensively on the test with very little memorization and am well above median.

I also rarely used supplements or E & Es when making my outlines (with the massive exception of civpro).

My process was basically looking at the way the Professor structured the class -> Look at the way the cases progressed -> Look at the rules and the reasons for them -> Organize this into an outline using the most crucial facts, such as maybe a short line about facts to jog your memory, the actual rule from the case, a strong argument made by the dissent or concurrence (especially for torts where most states don't agree on key things).

Just because an outline is in the SBA bank doesn't make it good, or better then yours. Just do you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”