UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gooner91

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Gooner91 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
I don't have my loan money in my account. How do I use it to pay my bill?
You don't, it's just applied automatically when it comes through. If you've already accepted all your loans, you should be on track as far as I understand. if you didn't do your FAFSA until late and don't have your aid yet, you need to talk to financial aid ASAP.
Hmm I did my fafsa a long time ago. I think I need to talk to financial aid again and make sure everything is squared away. Thanks.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 am

Gooner91 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
You don't, it's just applied automatically when it comes through. If you've already accepted all your loans, you should be on track as far as I understand. if you didn't do your FAFSA until late and don't have your aid yet, you need to talk to financial aid ASAP.
Hmm I did my fafsa a long time ago. I think I need to talk to financial aid again and make sure everything is squared away. Thanks.
Have the loans actually gone through yet? Back in the day, they didn't actually process until after classes had started/late August.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

5ky wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
Have the loans actually gone through yet? Back in the day, they didn't actually process until after classes had started/late August.
Loans go through the Monday 1Ls have orientation (so August 18). I think direct deposit of excess funds should happen within 2-3 business days (so today or tomorrow).

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Loans go through the Monday 1Ls have orientation (so August 18). I think direct deposit of excess funds should happen within 2-3 business days (so today or tomorrow).
If I remember from last year, it took a bit longer than that for Direct Deposit. I know the payments are posted on SIS, but no refund yet. Thankfully I'm not broke like I was last year, so it's not a huge deal.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Has anyone taken any classes through Darden, and if so, what would you recommend? I'm looking to hop into a class or two for their second quarter (which should be after CBs are done).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Admin law with woolhandler or con law II with schwartzman? Thoughts?

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:15 pm

how essential is it to get the newest edition of the supplements?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:26 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:how essential is it to get the newest edition of the supplements?
Really only essential for CivPro and ConLaw since new cases come out all the time that change the law. Contracts, CrimLaw, Torts, and Property law have remained relatively unchanged for decades.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:06 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Really only essential for CivPro and ConLaw since new cases come out all the time that change the law. Contracts, CrimLaw, Torts, and Property law have remained relatively unchanged for decades.
Agree, but I would largely say even for CivPro it isn't necessary, since the laws that have changed are covered in depth during class, but I get being safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Do you guys have loan $ in your bank account yet?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Br3v wrote:Do you guys have loan $ in your bank account yet?
As of 20 mins ago, it is showing as a pending credit in my bank account with all the funds available. The remittance notice from the school came today so odds are the ACH transfer should go through for everyone by tomorrow and Wednesday at the latest.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
As of 20 mins ago, it is showing as a pending credit in my bank account with all the funds available. The remittance notice from the school came today so odds are the ACH transfer should go through for everyone by tomorrow and Wednesday at the latest.
Awesome thanks

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Yeah, they gotta make sure the 1L's have enough $$$ to be irresponsible for their first weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Yeah, they gotta make sure the 1L's have enough $$$ to be irresponsible for their first weekend DANDELION.
FTFY

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
I disagree on this. About the only big recent case affecting CivPro is Wal-Mart v. Dukes, and it makes up only a small part of class-actions, a topic you'll probably cover in a day or two.

For ConLaw, Chemerinsky is still the go to despite being three years old. I haven't heard anyone suggest that a different supplement should be used for ConLaw simply because it's more recent.

I think a good rule of thumb for core 1L classes would be to make sure your supplement for any course is less than 4-5 years old. Cases all have dates, so it's easy to establish which are newer than your supplement and use the library hornbooks for help if you need it.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Other than Emmanuel s for Ks and the Civ Pro e&e, you probably shouldn't be buying any at all. They are all on reserve and you can photocopy or scan a section if you really need it.

Most students spend too much time re reading the same concepts they already know in supplements when they should be practicing applying those concepts in practice exams.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:00 pm

albanach wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
I disagree on this. About the only big recent case affecting CivPro is Wal-Mart v. Dukes, and it makes up only a small part of class-actions, a topic you'll probably cover in a day or two.

For ConLaw, Chemerinsky is still the go to despite being three years old. I haven't heard anyone suggest that a different supplement should be used for ConLaw simply because it's more recent.

I think a good rule of thumb for core 1L classes would be to make sure your supplement for any course is less than 4-5 years old. Cases all have dates, so it's easy to establish which are newer than your supplement and use the library hornbooks for help if you need it.
Why risk your understanding of topic(s) just to save $30? You completely misinterpreted both my answer to the OP and the OP. He or she was asking about getting the newest edition of a particular supplement, not getting the newest book possible. I would still recommend:
(1) the Glannon Guide for CivPro (2013 edition)
(2) Glannon E&E for CivPro (2013 edition)
(3) Chemerinsky for ConLaw (2011 edition)

If you look at the past editions for those books, they will be missing substantial case law which your class will definitely touch (next oldest editions are GG 2007, EE 2008, and CHEM 2006.)

I never said you had to take a brand new supplement (2014) over another supplement because it was newer, only that when looking at a particular supplement (e.g. GG or EE or CHEM), get the newest version you can get for CivPro/ConLaw and its fine to get older versions for Torts/Crim/Ks/Prop.
sundance95 wrote:Other than Emmanuel s for Ks and the Civ Pro e&e, you probably shouldn't be buying any at all. They are all on reserve and you can positively or scan a section if you really need it.

Most students spend too much time re reading the same concepts they already know in supplements when they should be practicing applying those concepts in practice exams.
I will just add to this that practicing application of the law is correct and should definitely be done to at least some extent, but some people will just not pick up the law from just class/casebook, and re-reading some concepts in supplements will help them more than trying to apply law they don't know. That's how it was for me and figuring out how substantive due process in the fundamental rights realm fit in with regular substantive due process and equal protection. Chemerinsky was amazing at that.

Also yes, every supplement you can imagine is on reserve. You can also always create a shared amazon account for a study group (up to 6 people), buy the kindle version of the supplement, and get everyone access to it through the kindle apps for PC/MAC (or through actual kindles).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:10 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:You completely misinterpreted both my answer to the OP and the OP. He or she was asking about getting the newest edition of a particular supplement, not getting the newest book possible.
You stated that for ConLaw and CivPro, "new cases come out all the time that change the law". I took that as suggesting the newest supplement would be valuable. I think you can see why I could come to that interpretation.

Nonetheless, looking at my ConLaw outline, I think the only significant cases we touched that were post 2005 were Boumediene v. Bush and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld. Obviously your professor may differ and there are a couple more cases from the last few years that you would expect to be covered. Still it's a tiny part of the course and you don't risk compromising your understanding if you note where more modern stuff has been covered and make a quick trip into the library.

The old edition of Glanon was the one this year's 3Ls used. The CivPro course hasn't changed that dramatically in the past two years.

Again, because cases have dates it's easy to see where you are covering something newer. That's useful even where you are using something like the latest edition of Chemerinsky that's a few years old. There's no need to compromise your studies.

For me, it's not about saving $30, it's about whether it's worth wasting it. YMMV.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Anyone in Energy and Environment? I'm thinking about switching into it and trying to figure out what I'd need to read for tomorrow.

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:24 am

Anyone know of a good supplement for Kordana Corps?

LadyMary

New

Post by LadyMary » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Anyone taken Bioethics with Lois Shepherd? Thoughts on her in general?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

anyone ever taken a JAG class? Worthwhile?

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

anon sequitur wrote:anyone ever taken a JAG class? Worthwhile?
Took two. If you need an extra credit or are interested in the subject, it's definitely worthwhile. Keep in mind that the academic calendar at the JAG school differs from the law school, so you might have classes during law school breaks (e.g. during winter break or spring break).

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:40 pm

LadyMary wrote:Anyone taken Bioethics with Lois Shepherd? Thoughts on her in general?
Never took a class with her, but she tagged along on the Israeli bioethics J-Term, and she seemed like a swell person.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 pm

When do upperclassmen recommend taking the MPRE? In November, even though we'll still be in PR if we're taking it this semester, after PR is over, or just around when we take the bar exam?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”