UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Mr. Somebody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Anyone know how much more expensive it is in both time/money to do a JD/MA?

Bah Welz

New

Post by Bah Welz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:MA in anything isn't going to help you get 98% of jobs. You might enjoy the program, you might have your heart set on the 2% it will help with, etc. But in reality it's just praying on the lingering belief that more degrees = more success / more opportunities that a lot of people hold. Similar to how picking a major felt like a decision of earth shattering importance at the time but turned out to matter very little in the real world (especially if your post-UG course went through law school).
This makes sense, will keep it in mind, thank you! also, thank you other poasters, very helpful = ]

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:MA in anything isn't going to help you get 98% of jobs. You might enjoy the program, you might have your heart set on the 2% it will help with, etc. But in reality it's just praying on the lingering belief that more degrees = more success / more opportunities that a lot of people hold. Similar to how picking a major felt like a decision of earth shattering importance at the time but turned out to matter very little in the real world (especially if your post-UG course went through law school).
CR. Getting an MA with your JD is like getting a bunch of fancy options (moon-roof, leather seats, etc.) with your car: it may improve your chances with 2% of women, but most people are just going to think you like wasting money.
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:23 pm

This is what I wanted to say, but didn't have the guts to do so. I am so far from becoming the next Sealocust.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:46 pm

How do IP people do out of UVA? Any significant boost? Im shooting for patent prosecution with a ChemE/biochem/chemistry. Would I still be looking good around median? below median? Anecdotal evidence is fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 pm

chem wrote:How do IP people do out of UVA? Any significant boost? Im shooting for patent prosecution with a ChemE/biochem/chemistry. Would I still be looking good around median? below median? Anecdotal evidence is fine
Everyone I know at UVA who wanted to do IP (which is only like 4 people) got biglaw.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Everyone I know at UVA who wanted to do IP [FN1] (more than 4 people in my case) got biglaw.

[FN1] and had a relevant technical background // work experience

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:Everyone I know at UVA who wanted to do IP [FN1] (more than 4 people in my case) got biglaw.

[FN1] and had a relevant technical background // work experience
I have a relevant tech background, and am able to consult for an engineering firm in my free time. However, I will be a k-JD'er. I know that will hurt, but will it hurt significantly?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Admin was a bad choice...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Admin was a bad choice...
In the beginning, god said: let there be deference in the face of congressional ambiguity. And it was so.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Just how badly would I need to fuck up to get a C+?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:53 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Just how badly would I need to fuck up to get a C+?
Depends on the class, but generally, very badly.

PSA: don't do what this guy did: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=183660

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:

PSA: don't do what this guy did: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=183660
Oh me oh my. That thread is just ridiculous. I hope they kick that dude out of school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Doritos wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:

Oh me oh my. That thread is just ridiculous. I hope they kick that dude out of school.

That guy would be plenty happy with a C+. I wonder if the mods would reveal to the school/authorities who it was.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:

That guy would be plenty happy with a C+. I wonder if the mods would reveal to the school/authorities who it was.
No comment. Please god, though, no one at UVA be stupid enough to do this, as it would put me in a very uncomfortable spot.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:03 pm

I just assume that there is a shitload of cheating that goes on at UVA because I pwnd everyone during 1L exams that we all had to take at the same time but haven't done nearly as well on flex exams. BTW, I'm a graduating 3L and some of this might have to do with the fact that I haven't given a shit since 1L.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:06 pm

My grades have slipped between 1L and 2L, but I'm more inclined to blame that on my level of preparation. I did well in my 1L electives as compared to my 1L core classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 pm

I also slipped drastically from 1L to 3L. Over .1 in slippage, actually. But I don't think that's uncommon.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

RVP11 wrote:I also slipped drastically from 1L to 3L. Over .1 in slippage, actually. But I don't think that's uncommon.
After looking at my Excel spreadsheet of possible outcomes after 2L, my range is like .09 to .17 slippage.

Either way, I need to do great work this summer. So I'm not sure it matters either way.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

RVP11 wrote:I also slipped drastically from 1L to 3L. Over .1 in slippage, actually. But I don't think that's uncommon.
If that's considered drastic then I'm completely fucked. I hope a .1 slip isn't what people have in mind when they say that GPA drops don't matter for offers.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:20 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
If that's considered drastic then I'm completely fucked. I hope a .1 slip isn't what people have in mind when they say that GPA drops don't matter for offers.
GPA drops don't matter for offers.

Most firms don't ask. The firms that do probably aren't looking. The firms that look are probably just looking for failing grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Yeuh I'm looking at like a .20 + drop assuming I do equally bad this semester.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:59 pm

How high were y'alls grades after 1L, really high grades could contribute to that?

Do you guys contribute it to just general apathy?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:How high were y'alls grades after 1L, really high grades could contribute to that?

I ask, because I'm wondering if my not doing shit is going to finally catch up to me.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:How high were y'alls grades after 1L, really high grades could contribute to that?

I think part of it was the fact that 35% of the class of 2011 was unemployed when they were in all of my 2L classes. They were gunning like hell for high grades. Class of 2012 probably isn't trying as hard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”