UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
desertlaw

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by desertlaw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 am

1. Tim Tebow

2. FebClub

1+2= don't worry about grades

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Firm and grade issues round 2. Here we go again.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:41 pm

This seems like a good time to put in a huge plug for Prof. Morley. If Trusts & Estates was typical, his classes are straightforward, well-organized, entertaining, and he records every class. (You won't realize how big of a deal that last one is until callbacks start next fall.) He's also apparently solved the "horse race" problem with his exams. And, despite the fact that there were ~100 students in the class, we got our grades several days ago.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am

Any tips for Yale's Tax course?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 am

sundance95 wrote:Any tips for Yale's Tax course?
Yeah, take Yin

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Yeah, take Yin
Have heard this also. Though I have also heard that either >>>> Robinson

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 am

Where the fuck are the rest of my grades?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Where the fuck are the rest of my grades?
At this point, I would highly recommend waiting until Friday at 7:15 to check, if you're one of the unfortunate 1Ls without any grades. Trust me, it's best to get them all at once.

Good to mediocre/bad: you'll be happier looking at an A and B+ than if you get an A and then a B+ four days later. All Wachtell/SCOTUS/waltzing onto LR dreams go *poof*. But A/B+ is a 3.65 or top 10% and is great. But you won't be as happy with the end result.

Mediocre/bad to good: congrats, you just aged 3 years in 3 days waiting to see if you lost a game of law school roulette only to find out that you did not, in fact, lose.

Mostly mediocre/bad: the worrying in scenario two turns not into relief but into greater worry.

Disclosure: I could not follow my own advice, although the timing of my grades was much more spread out than for most 1Ls this year, who should see all/almost all of their grades over four days.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 am

5ky wrote:
At this point, I would highly recommend waiting until Friday at 7:15 to check, if you're one of the unfortunate 1Ls without any grades. Trust me, it's best to get them all at once.

Good to mediocre/bad: you'll be happier looking at an A and B+ than if you get an A and then a B+ four days later. All Wachtell/SCOTUS/waltzing onto LR dreams go *poof*. But A/B+ is a 3.65 or top 10% and is great. But you won't be as happy with the end result.

Mediocre/bad to good: congrats, you just aged 3 years in 3 days waiting to see if you lost a game of law school roulette only to find out that you did not, in fact, lose.

Mostly mediocre/bad: the worrying in scenario two turns not into relief but into greater worry.

Disclosure: I could not follow my own advice, although the timing of my grades was much more spread out than for most 1Ls this year, who should see all/almost all of their grades over four days.

Definitely see your point there. Friday is SO far away though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 am

I took Yale's class and liked it. He records all of his lectures and I performed objectively terribly on the exam (left over half of multiple choice blank; numbers didn't add up on essay portion) and still did okay grade-wise.

I would just suggest getting started on memorizing code provisions relatively early and making sure you leave time towards the end of the semester to relisten to the lectures of any topic you don't understand well.

His exam is open book and is like 2/3 or 3/4 MC and you get points off for wrong answers. Also, IIRC the MC is weighted, with more points for the harder questions, but we don't see how they are weighted when we are answering them because then we would realize which questions are simple and which are tricky.

There are also HW problems assigned for most lectures that we didn't turn in but we went over in class. I would definitely suggest staying on top of those so you can tell whether you get the concepts or not as you go along.

He also tended to go much slower than the syllabus suggested.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 pm

I finally got a grade! But, it's a YR in seminar in ethical values :(

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 pm

5ky wrote:
So do we at any point get a benefit from not getting all our grades at once? In other words, why not relieve stress and simply say all 1L grades will be released at 7pm Friday?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 pm

where the fuck are ANY of my grades

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:53 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
where the fuck are ANY of my grades
Honestly it's really early to be expecting many grades at UVA law. I only had half of my grades even after classes started last spring. At this point you might as well wait to check until the 20th like an earlier poster said.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:54 pm

albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:
So do we at any point get a benefit from not getting all our grades at once? In other words, why not relieve stress and simply say all 1L grades will be released at 7pm Friday?
extremely valid point

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm

New evals are up!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Will there be another PILA book sale, is it on the first day of classes, and would it be a bad idea to wait until then to buy books for the semester? Last semester, it was so much cheaper.

Also, where do you see when evals go up?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Evals are up under Lawweb --> completed course evaluations.

For 1Ls, it just looks like Rutherglen CivPro and Low Crim. I'm not sure if those students already have grades for those classes, or if they will show up tonight.

inmans

New

Post by inmans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:21 pm

This year, I'm pretty sure course evaluations show up after grades are posted.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
I took Yale's class and liked it. He records all of his lectures and I performed objectively terribly on the exam (left over half of multiple choice blank; numbers didn't add up on essay portion) and still did okay grade-wise.

I would just suggest getting started on memorizing code provisions relatively early and making sure you leave time towards the end of the semester to relisten to the lectures of any topic you don't understand well.

His exam is open book and is like 2/3 or 3/4 MC and you get points off for wrong answers. Also, IIRC the MC is weighted, with more points for the harder questions, but we don't see how they are weighted when we are answering them because then we would realize which questions are simple and which are tricky.

There are also HW problems assigned for most lectures that we didn't turn in but we went over in class. I would definitely suggest staying on top of those so you can tell whether you get the concepts or not as you go along.

He also tended to go much slower than the syllabus suggested.
TYVM

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

It's 2012. How is UVA still using a system where you have to wait until the next day for add/drops to be reflected on lawweb? That's pathetic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm

5ky wrote:It's 2012. How is UVA still using a system where you have to wait until the next day for add/drops to be reflected on lawweb? That's pathetic.
Why was add/drop closed anyway? Do the servers need rest or something?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Doritos wrote:
5ky wrote:It's 2012. How is UVA still using a system where you have to wait until the next day for add/drops to be reflected on lawweb? That's pathetic.
Why was add/drop closed anyway? Do the servers need rest or something?
I always imagined we have a punch card system with tons of undergrads employed to move data around as opposed to servers.

Or possibly elves.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:
I always imagined we have a punch card system with tons of undergrads employed to move data around as opposed to servers.

Or possibly elves.
Hopefully they'll be busy for the next three minutes and grant me some grades this evening.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

some new grades are up for 1Ls

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”