UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AZ123

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by AZ123 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 am

Br3v wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Any perspective on how hard it is to get biglaw in a secondary market with strong ties (i.e. originally from there, family lives there, etc.)? Is it doable with median grades? Think Atlanta/Miami/Houston
You're certainly in the running
Definitely doable. I'm not sure which specific market you're interested in, but plenty of UVA students get big law in places like Texas or Atlanta with median grades. Possible with below-median grades as well, it will just take extra hustle (maybe spending 1L summer there, networking like crazy, etc.)

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Any perspective on how hard it is to get biglaw in a secondary market with strong ties (i.e. originally from there, family lives there, etc.)? Is it doable with median grades? Think Atlanta/Miami/Houston
Generically: very doable.

Depending on the market, the advice varies a little bit. But placing in secondary markets with strong ties is doable if you sell yourself in that market well. This depends on the size of the market, your connection to the market, and how well you sell that connection in that market. Some will be hyper ties sensitive, to the point that you won't get a screener if you didn't go to high school in the area. Others will read your materials, see a connection to the market, and hope they can diversify their SA ranks by bringing in a UVA grad. It entirely depends on the firm and how well you sell yourself and your connections to that market.

Overarching advice is that you can get desirable employment in ATL/MIA/HOU with the right ties, and it won't be particularly hard. If your ties are relatively weak, and you aren't an otherwise strong applicant, then you might struggle in any of those markets. But that's all just a really broad brush approach to thinking about what you're really asking.

If you're median and have those ties to a southern market, you can/will get Biglaw in that market (absent some serious deficiency like sucking in interviews or having other red flags).

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 am

Okay thanks that's really good to know! I plan on interning in this market after 1L which should give me time to network and reach out to firms over the summer. Fwiw I'm fine doing NY for a few years if it's my only biglaw option, I'd just rather not since the salary:COL ratio and QOL seems much better here. At this point I'm pretty sold on going to UVA so this is really good to hear

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 am

How diverse is Law Review? Does the Virginia Plan do a good job of getting more racial and ethnic minorities onto Law Review, compared to, say, law reviews at Harvard or Columbia with very intentional diversity initiatives?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:46 pm

How diverse is Law Review? Does the Virginia Plan do a good job of getting more racial and ethnic minorities onto Law Review, compared to, say, law reviews at Harvard or Columbia with very intentional diversity initiatives?

Not very, and I guess not very.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

principalagent wrote:How diverse is Law Review? Does the Virginia Plan do a good job of getting more racial and ethnic minorities onto Law Review, compared to, say, law reviews at Harvard or Columbia with very intentional diversity initiatives?
Not very. You'll hear more about the process in the Spring if you're a 1L, but their diversity initiative during the tryout process is the "Virginia Plan," which allows students in the top half of both the tryout and 1L grades to be selected based on a diversity statement. The law review voted overwhelmingly (though not without controversy) to double the number of students allowed on through this plan for the coming year.

From my understanding, most t14 law reviews are disproportionately white, and often disproportionately male too, but I've heard VLR is slightly worse in both regards. There are plenty of folks on VLR trying to change that, but it won't happen overnight regardless.

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm

I've searched through this board and wasn't able to find a clear answer (if I missed it, I apologize!) but I was wondering how former 1Ls go about finding roommates? I'm from New York and don't know anyone in the area, and I think living with someone would be nice socially, but also fiscally. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Your class has a FB group. If you have FB, that’s a great place to start.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 am

tmcauliffe96 wrote:I've searched through this board and wasn't able to find a clear answer (if I missed it, I apologize!) but I was wondering how former 1Ls go about finding roommates? I'm from New York and don't know anyone in the area, and I think living with someone would be nice socially, but also fiscally. Any advice would be much appreciated :)
If you end up at Pav they pair you with someone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge on the teaching market in and around Charlottesville? When I applied and deferred my admission I was a single guy but it's looking more and more like I will be married when I finally start. Girlfriend is a middle school English teacher but also certified at the high school level. I know she will have great recommendations from her current district as she was their teacher of the year last year, but wanted to get a general feel on if jobs in her field are hard to come by around Charlottesville and if I need to reconsider my law school decision.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Specter1389 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge on the teaching market in and around Charlottesville? When I applied and deferred my admission I was a single guy but it's looking more and more like I will be married when I finally start. Girlfriend is a middle school English teacher but also certified at the high school level. I know she will have great recommendations from her current district as she was their teacher of the year last year, but wanted to get a general feel on if jobs in her field are hard to come by around Charlottesville and if I need to reconsider my law school decision.
It can be difficult. There arent that many school districts within an hour drive (maybe 10?) in part due to the rural nature of the surrounding area which means there just arent that many teaching jobs. Is she already licensed to teach in Virginia? If so, that'll make it easier. That being said, there are at least a few law students whose significant others are teachers working in the area.

vwhorley

New

Post by vwhorley » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Specter1389 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge on the teaching market in and around Charlottesville? When I applied and deferred my admission I was a single guy but it's looking more and more like I will be married when I finally start. Girlfriend is a middle school English teacher but also certified at the high school level. I know she will have great recommendations from her current district as she was their teacher of the year last year, but wanted to get a general feel on if jobs in her field are hard to come by around Charlottesville and if I need to reconsider my law school decision.
I'm not a UVa student (although I am hoping to be when I apply next cycle!), but I grew up in the area and still have family there. There are a ton of schools in Charlottesville and the surrounding area, and there is also a big market for homeschoolers looking for tutors. Albemarle County and Charlottesville City schools are the closest districts, but Greene is commuting distance. There are also a bunch of private schools since the area tends to be pretty wealthy- she shouldn't have a problem.

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 pm

If I wanted to live in a 1 bedroom (or 2 bedroom if I meet someone cool at ASW or on here) at Pav, by when would I need to lock that down? Just asking because at my undergrad institution I always needed to settle on my apartment in Oct/Nov of the prior academic year.
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 pm

I seriously want to move to the DMV and I have been considering this for some time now. I have no ties however but would happily take an admission offer from UVA

One question I often thought of was how the winters are in VA(Charlottesville). I’ve never been in the DC Area during the winter and I would love to here about someone’s take on the spring semester weather at uva. I know there is much more to considering a law school but after spending the last 4 years in Boston winters I would happily go to a Law School that’s not only quality and has great job placement but the added bonus of lighter winters plus lower COL compared to Boston. Thanks in advance !

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Prudence wrote:I seriously want to move to the DMV and I have been considering this for some time now. I have no ties however but would happily take an admission offer from UVA

One question I often thought of was how the winters are in VA(Charlottesville). I’ve never been in the DC Area during the winter and I would love to here about someone’s take on the spring semester weather at uva. I know there is much more to considering a law school but after spending the last 4 years in Boston winters I would happily go to a Law School that’s not only quality and has great job placement but the added bonus of lighter winters plus lower COL compared to Boston. Thanks in advance !
The weather in Cville is temperate, considering it's in the hills of Virginia. Typically there will be one decent snowfall in a winter/spring, and otherwise temps will vary from 15 degree highs (like now, but the entire country got hit with the latest cold snap) to more typical 40-50s in January and February, and 60+ degree days will be fairly typical from March onward. There will also be some warm times during winter where it's miraculously 60 degrees in December. Cville generally has four distinct seasons, which is great if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Prudence wrote:I seriously want to move to the DMV and I have been considering this for some time now. I have no ties however but would happily take an admission offer from UVA

The weather in Cville is temperate, considering it's in the hills of Virginia. Typically there will be one decent snowfall in a winter/spring, and otherwise temps will vary from 15 degree highs (like now, but the entire country got hit with the latest cold snap) to more typical 40-50s in January and February, and 60+ degree days will be fairly typical from March onward. There will also be some warm times during winter where it's miraculously 60 degrees in December. Cville generally has four distinct seasons, which is great if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.
Honestly glad to hear this and definitely a consideration for me next academic year among other things. I rather like the winter for a moment but Seasonal depression is real out here with my Boston peers and me haha and it would be nice to not expect a series of blizzards every spring semester. Obviously Boston does not have 4 distinct seasons imo so this is an added bonus. Thanks for letting me know!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:01 am

Sometimes we did have snow on the ground until April though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am

thesealocust wrote:Sometimes we did have snow on the ground until April though...
Oh thank God Chipotle survived. Not sure what NGRC crew would've done without that immediately available protein boost.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:43 am

thesealocust wrote:Sometimes we did have snow on the ground until April though...
You back on TLS or just stopping by?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:57 am

Br3v wrote:
I'm usually lurking, but the posting bug has struck again, so we'll see...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 am

Prudence wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Honestly glad to hear this and definitely a consideration for me next academic year among other things. I rather like the winter for a moment but Seasonal depression is real out here with my Boston peers and me haha and it would be nice to not expect a series of blizzards every spring semester. Obviously Boston does not have 4 distinct seasons imo so this is an added bonus. Thanks for letting me know!
charlottesville weather is slightly better than DMV weather too. a bit warmer in the cool months and a bit cooler in the warm months (but still hot)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 am

5ky wrote:
charlottesville weather is slightly better than DMV weather too. a bit warmer in the cool months and a bit cooler in the warm months (but still hot)
This is making me so grateful I applied. I think this is making me want to attend uva so much more even though I want to end up in DC anyway. Honestly believe weather like this will make me a slightly happier law student (Although snow in April sounds bad/unusual...it’s nothing im not used to. It was -11 degrees in Boston this week *cries* and during my first year in Boston we had over 110 inches of snow that didn’t melt for months ) 40 degrees in winter sounds like a tropical 3 year vacation

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Br3v wrote:
I'm usually lurking, but the posting bug has struck again, so we'll see...
Nice, you'll have to at least stay to calm the 1Ls

And @Prudence, I wouldn't pick a law school based on weather but UVA is great despite good weather. Snow in April thing was a fluke (don't think we had snow past Feb when I was there). Usually about 2 snow falls that stick.

Cavalier123

New

Post by Cavalier123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:40 pm

How would current students describe the PI community at UVA? Is there a critical mass of them, or does the school overall focus mostly on Big Law?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”