UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dailygrind

Diamond

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by dailygrind » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 pm

I feel like moving to VA to get the instate boost would be kinda crazy. Getting into law school is still a kinda dicey thing, and the tuition discount, while nice, isn't that significant. And if you're moving to boost your chances of getting in, you're probably not going to be getting much, if anything, in the way of scholly money. Moving to VA for the undergrad tuition discount, though...that would be brilliant.

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

Can anyone recommend a dry cleaners? The cheaper the better

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am

Heat wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
Bankrupt257 wrote:Vanwinkle (Or any other UVA Law Student):

Do you know how many students are accepted off of ED (ill take a rumor also if you have some idea. I believe the school has like an 11% acceptance rate regularly)?

Would me being a URM and in-state + ED give me a slight bump in chance of admissions (again a rumor is fine if there are no exact figures known)

I am trying to decide if i should apply UVA ED (which I would if i have a slight boost from your average joe/jane applicant)

Thanks
I don't even need to be a student to tell you that yes, being a URM helps. Doing ED helps. Being in state helps.

In sum, that's a good bump.
This guys assessment is good. Being ED definitely gives you a bump. UVa likes the EDs because it lets them mold their class numbers to exactly what they want through knowing exactly who they will get. Being URM is a bump whether you ED or not. Being from Virginia I suppose is somewhat more debateable. Something like 40% of the students are from Virginia. Virginia has a population of somewhere around 25 million people. so for 40% of the spots you have a population of 25 million people to get applicants from in and for the other 60% you have 275 million. However, those numbers look more skewed then they are because there are probably a hell of a lot more applicants from Virginia than not and people do move to VA first to establish residency (or for other reasons but in the process establish residency).

Ultimately at least the first two factors and probably the third are all in your favor. Just keep in mind if you do ED your chances at money, while supposedly the same - (at least when I was applying) are in reality not likely to be the same. Why give scholarships to people who you know have to either accept your offer or not go to law school this year?

Edit: I just looked at through your posts quick and see your AA and 3.25. AA is a good URM to be from what I know but a 3.25 is low. That being said (you asked for anecdotal evidence) I think splitters fair well in the ED process because they can choose people to offset easier. Still you will obviously have to do well on the LSATs. The post was prior to your LSAT score so....
Since when did Virginia have the population of Texas? Virginia has around 8 million citizens, so even if the assumption is that the demographics across the country are equal (Virginia has the same percent of its population college educated and of those college educated there is an equal percent without a JD and in the age range to apply to law school) there would seem to be a decent boost to in-state candidates. In addition, Virginia has different rules for residency when it comes to being a "citizen" and when it comes to establishing residency for law school/higher education.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:50 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Can anyone recommend a dry cleaners? The cheaper the better
I usually use Browns on Milmont - the street that runs along the back side of Barracks Road shopping center. IIRC, the bookshop will also take your dry cleaning for you.

Unfortunately I've no idea about pricing at either. I guess after a year at law school I should have asked how much cleaning two suits would cost before I dropped them off on Saturday!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

albanach wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:Can anyone recommend a dry cleaners? The cheaper the better
I usually use Browns on Milmont - the street that runs along the back side of Barracks Road shopping center. IIRC, the bookshop will also take your dry cleaning for you.

Unfortunately I've no idea about pricing at either. I guess after a year at law school I should have asked how much cleaning two suits would cost before I dropped them off on Saturday!
Yes, they will. Don't ask me about price, as I use a cleaner just down the road from me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

I use Skyline Cleaners, which is in the North Wing of the Barracks Road Shopping Center, near Sweet Frog. I don't remember the prices exactly, but I think they're average for the area, and the service has always been great.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:I use Skyline Cleaners, which is in the North Wing of the Barracks Road Shopping Center, near Sweet Frog. I don't remember the prices exactly, but I think they're average for the area, and the service has always been great.

I use this too. Prices seem really good and service always solid/quick. Don't use the cleaners on Ivy near Shell/UHeights/Arch's. They ruin buttons.

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm

thanks for the suggestions! i decided to try out skyline

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Looking at signing up for cable, crap that's expensive. Anyone know if over the air signals are decent for CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:37 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Looking at signing up for cable, crap that's expensive. Anyone know if over the air signals are decent for CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.?
Have you looked into netfilx? I think its like $10 dollars a month. You obviously would need an internet connection as well as a gaming system/computer/some other device you can control Netfilx off of.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 pm

albanach wrote:

Maybe it was a fluke, but I had an extremely bad experience with Brown's. Carriage Cleaners on Millmont has worked out for me so far.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Maybe it was a fluke, but I had an extremely bad experience with Brown's. Carriage Cleaners on Millmont has worked out for me so far.
Google suggests you're not alone, but of course you really only hear the complaints.

I dropped two suits in on Saturday afternoon, had them back this afternoon for $22. I have no idea how that compares to the other local places.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:27 am

YCrevolution wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Looking at signing up for cable, crap that's expensive. Anyone know if over the air signals are decent for CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.?
If you have an external antenna (those rabbit-ear things), you have a chance, but even then, it's dependent on where you're at (Charlottesville, after all, is quite hilly). I was never able to get any over-the-air signal.
Ask Prof Nachbar - he teaches Communications Law and these types of things. As for me, who took the class, I can not give you a good answer.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 am

YCrevolution wrote:
If you have an external antenna (those rabbit-ear things), you have a chance, but even then, it's dependent on where you're at (Charlottesville, after all, is quite hilly). I was never able to get any over-the-air signal.
Antenna is good enough for FOX and CBS if you're IVY. Dat NFL

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 am

YCrevolution wrote:
If you do this, be sure to buy one of the powered antennae. I use one and it works great.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am

Why did I get put on the waitlist of a course with 15 open slots? And I see Morley's Corporations course has 18 open slots but 30 some people on the waitlist. Was anybody able to actually add a course?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 am

5ky wrote:Why did I get put on the waitlist of a course with 15 open slots? And I see Morley's Corporations course has 18 open slots but 30 some people on the waitlist. Was anybody able to actually add a course?
I came on here to ask the same thing. Also to reiterate how much I hate this system. Anyway, I sent an email to student services asking them what the deal is, so if I hear back I'll post their answer.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am

5ky wrote:Why did I get put on the waitlist of a course with 15 open slots? And I see Morley's Corporations course has 18 open slots but 30 some people on the waitlist. Was anybody able to actually add a course?
I added two courses, I think there are still a certain number of spaces still being held open in some classes.

DocT

New

Post by DocT » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am

The open seats are set aside for incoming LLMs and Transfers. If there are any unused seats, we won't know about it until the next Drop/Add cycle after they've had a chance to register.

I imagine the waitlists are deceptively long because those who will drop the course are not in a hurry to do so. Except for Morley's Corp, that is probably an accurate reflection of how people prefer an 8:30 AM Friday class to Kitch.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 am

pjo wrote:
I came on here to ask the same thing. Also to reiterate how much I hate this system. Anyway, I sent an email to student services asking them what the deal is, so if I hear back I'll post their answer.
Are you looking at enrollment numbers on SIS or on Lawweb? The Lawweb numbers are static, which is why it says "During SIS enrollment, check on SIS for real-time enrollment numbers." at the top of the Current Courses page. Mind you, I've never figured out how to check enrollment numbers on SIS.

But, yes, the system does suck. I woke up before 7:00 am (I'm currently on the West Coast) and risked waking my wife and kids to try to get one of the remaining slots that Lawweb said was left in a course, only to find out that those slots are apparently reserved for 2L's/LLM's/transfers. Really coulda used that info last night.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

^yeah, it says in SIS as well that there were the . I specifically checked because I wanted to use the swap feature. Then, when I tried to pick up the course I had dropped (since I got added to the waitlist), I was locked out from that one too, even though there were open slots.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am

This enrollment system is outdated. :|

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
pjo wrote:
Are you looking at enrollment numbers on SIS or on Lawweb? The Lawweb numbers are static, which is why it says "During SIS enrollment, check on SIS for real-time enrollment numbers." at the top of the Current Courses page. Mind you, I've never figured out how to check enrollment numbers on SIS.

But, yes, the system does suck. I woke up before 7:00 am (I'm currently on the West Coast) and risked waking my wife and kids to try to get one of the remaining slots that Lawweb said was left in a course, only to find out that those slots are apparently reserved for 2L's/LLM's/transfers. Really coulda used that info last night.
I was looking at the SIS current enrollment numbers. You have to search the class then click the hyperlink to view the current enrollment. So if I'm 8th and 9th on the current waitlists, and the spots are being held for LLMs and transfers, what are the chances of me getting into the class?

Also, this is just awesome how we wait until 2 weeks before school starts to schedule classes. Great, great idea SRO. So now I have to wait until the next add/drop period to know if I have enough credits? It says the WL process runs at 2am each night, so shouldn't it run tonight? I'd just like to know what classes I'm taking before school starts.

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

So how bad is Kitch? The whole reason I signed up for corporations was to take Geis, but if I drop it now, I won't have any doctrinal classes. Does that look bad to employers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”