UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doritos

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Doritos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 pm

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 pm

My trip to the ER mid-DasKlub, followed by everyone freaking out over a sweet music video, has suddenly made me popular. Thank you all.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm

desertlaw why the actual fuck are you not in the libel show band?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:29 pm

pjo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
pjo wrote:As far was whether there are athletes here, yeah there definitely are. There are ppl here that played D1 or high quality D3 athletics. At the same time, there are also a bunch of "wannabe" athletes, who only look decently athletic because they're playing slowpitch softball against girls and some guys who don't even watch sports, let alone play them.
LMAO exactly. I'm sorry but just because you hit a home run in slow pitch soft-ball off some kid who was captain of the chess club at Duke, even though you get stapled under 135 on the bench and it takes you longer to run the 40 than my 98 Gateway takes to boot up, doesn't mean you're an "athlete". :lol:
A guy who can't bench 135 is not blasting them to the road at Copeley or over the fence at The Park, dude. Every dude crushing them is fairly well built and knows how to swing a bat.

Also, what's up with making fun of weak/slow/unathletic people? That's not cool bro. We're all failed athletes, just different levels of NOT-GOOD-ENOUGH-FOR-THE-PROS-SO-NO-ONE-CARES-HOW-ATHLETIC-WE-THINK-WE-ARE.
Idk about Bruce Wayne, but I never intended to make fun of weak/slow/unathletic ppl. I guess I'm just calling-out the bunch of guys at the law school who are cocky as shit because of stuff that happens in "law school world". You're not some awesome athlete because you're good at law school softball, and you're also not some crazy party bro because you go to law school parties. Relatively, yeah that may be the case. But on the whole, it's a joke. I've never been to a law school party that was even close to as crazy as a frat party at my old state school. So it's just kind of funny for me to hear ppl talk about how crazy some law school party was or how athletic some dude is because he is good at softball.

Listen, I think basically everyone here is a nerd, you basically had to be to get in, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also think though that some ppl come into law school and treat it as the second go-around of college. Like they were a nerd in UG, and saw all these fratty/jocks/bros and now they have a chance to imitate them, because now there are ppl who are even nerdier than them. It just gets irritating.
This is exactly what I was getting at. pjo basically posted for me on this issue.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:desertlaw why the actual fuck are you not in the libel show band?
People have requested me to perform a "drumoff" with the current drummer. But I think he's probably better than me anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:34 pm

butbut ;_;

Edit: you *do* realize how much we drink while preparing for / performing this shiz, right?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:butbut ;_;

Edit: you *do* realize how much we drink while preparing for / performing this shiz, right?
Wait, wait wait. People in the Libel Show drink? Like while performing the show and stuff?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:07 pm

wait, wait, wait, TheSeloCust enjoys the Libel Show?

Doritos --- you, me, Wings Over sauce. Tonight.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 pm

posting from rehearsal. Intoxication level is barely supporting coherent interaction much less dancing and singing.

It is a right and a good and a joyous practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:posting from rehearsal. Intoxication level is barely supporting coherent interaction much less dancing and singing.

you're blowin up my news feed with your kuet feb club pics

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:21 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
thesealocust wrote:posting from rehearsal. Intoxication level is barely supporting coherent interaction much less dancing and singing.

It's how I roll. One day I want to make a montage of me and that glorious safety vest.

In related news... who are you? I'm terrible at keeping track of internet-friends and their real-world super-hero alter-egos.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

It's how I roll. One day I want to make a montage of me and that glorious safety vest.

In related news... who are you? I'm terrible at keeping track of internet-friends and their real-world super-hero alter-egos.
Like I would give that information away on a message board

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Well you clearly know who I am on facebook, so it's not like you don't have other channels of communication :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:Well you clearly know who I am on facebook, so it's not like you don't have other channels of communication :P
Nothing worth enjoying in life comes easily

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

So, I'm hoping some of you could answer a question for me. I'm seriously considering UVA and one of the things that really appeals to me is the chance to take 2 electives second semester of 1L. Can anyone tell me their opinions/experience with this? Any positives (get into your interest faster) or negatives (essentially 5 classes each semester, which I'd imagine is more stressful). Any help is appreciated.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:36 pm

envisciguy wrote:So, I'm hoping some of you could answer a question for me. I'm seriously considering UVA and one of the things that really appeals to me is the chance to take 2 electives second semester of 1L. Can anyone tell me their opinions/experience with this? Any positives (get into your interest faster) or negatives (essentially 5 classes each semester, which I'd imagine is more stressful). Any help is appreciated.
I don't think this is really a big deal (at least it wouldn't be a big decision factor in my choice). You actually may not want to take something that you would be very interested in, if it is also a class that tends to attract Law Review ppl (so if you're really interesting in admin law, you probably should still wait until 2L). Most ppl end up picking their classes based on which ones they think they can do well in, rather than what they're interested in, just because your grades 1L are so important.

Some things that I think are most underrated about UVa's curriculum (and should be considered much more when choosing between schools) are:
1) you're able to join extramural moot court as a 1L (most schools you have to be a 2L). I'm on it, and employers seemed to respond fairly well to the fact that I'm on it as a 1L.
2) UVa's LRW is not graded. Some T14's and most non-T14's are graded. Believe me, you have enough to do with the other classes than to have to devote extra time to LRW because its graded. You won't realize how advantageous this is until you're in law school.
3) The way journal tryout is structured here is considerably better than most other schools. Everyone who wants to do a journal gets onto one. Also, its only over one weekend (which sucks for that weekend, but then your done). Compare this to Michigan, which gives you twice as many cases to go through, and the tryout begins after your last final in the spring and lasts for the first two weeks of summer -> not exactly when I would be wanting to work on a journal tryout.

I would consider these three more than the electives. Okay, back to my own journal tryout :cry:

eval2

New

Post by eval2 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey everyone, I am definitely going to be an entering 1L at UVA this fall. I just had a question about housing. I haven't started looking into it in too much depth, but does anyone know anything about University Place? I know its a little further away (about 3 miles), but i will have a car and it seems considerably cheaper than other places. I was told about it by a friend, (former Law student). Any idea how it is and if i should consider it? Thank for any help! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks pjo. The ungraded LRW is another thing that really appeals to me, especially since the other school I'm most seriously considering (Duke) has a graded LRW.

Also, for the seasoned UVA students, any thoughts on the pre-select/prescreen OGI interviews? Are they a positive, negative, or neither?
Last edited by envisciguy on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:58 pm

eval2 wrote:Hey everyone, I am definitely going to be an entering 1L at UVA this fall. I just had a question about housing. I haven't started looking into it in too much depth, but does anyone know anything about University Place? I know its a little further away (about 3 miles), but i will have a car and it seems considerably cheaper than other places. I was told about it by a friend, (former Law student). Any idea how it is and if i should consider it? Thank for any help! :D
Yeah, University Place is not bad. If you're willing to have a short drive, there's a number of similar places to check out: Woodlands (probably the nicest IMO) and Jefferson Ridge both have a lot of law students. The best deal might be across the street from Woodlands at the Villas at Southern Ridge, which is a condo complex. We saw some absurdly cheap deals there...it's basically people who bough a place when they came to Cville, and now they've graduated but don't want to sell in this market. In the end, we just decided we wanted to be a little closer to campus.

Basically, if you're willing to have a 10-15 minute drive in the morning, there are a number of pretty nice places that are reasonably affordable.

DoctorGloom

New

Post by DoctorGloom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I wouldn't base which law school to attend solely on whether you get to take electives in the spring of your 1L year. Trust me, you'll have plenty of opportunity in your latter two years to take whatever electives your heart desires.

With that said, take electives you think you will enjoy (and have some background in) in your 1L Spring. 1L year is extremely stressful, so taking classes that you enjoy can give you that extra energy to power through to the end of exams. I took Corporations in the Spring and I felt my business background/interest gave me an edge in class even with a decent amount of LR folk present.

Side note: Anyone else find it funny that several hours after ATL ran a story about Hylton's delay in getting back PR grades SRO sent an email stating that his grades were finally posted? What a joke.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 am

DoctorGloom wrote:I wouldn't base which law school to attend solely on whether you get to take electives in the spring of your 1L year. Trust me, you'll have plenty of opportunity in your latter two years to take whatever electives your heart desires.

With that said, take electives you think you will enjoy (and have some background in) in your 1L Spring. 1L year is extremely stressful, so taking classes that you enjoy can give you that extra energy to power through to the end of exams. I took Corporations in the Spring and I felt my business background/interest gave me an edge in class even with a decent amount of LR folk present.

Side note: Anyone else find it funny that several hours after ATL ran a story about Hylton's delay in getting back PR grades SRO sent an email stating that his grades were finally posted? What a joke.
As much as I don't like ATL because of how much they bash UVa, I have to admit, they wield an unseemly amount of power in the legal community. At my old firm (V100), we had a little incident that happened to make it onto ATL, despite the firm's attempt to sweep it under the rug. I just remember running into the legal recruiter/ head HR person when it got released and how freaked out she was because ATL ran a little blurb about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:01 am

pjo wrote:
DoctorGloom wrote:I wouldn't base which law school to attend solely on whether you get to take electives in the spring of your 1L year. Trust me, you'll have plenty of opportunity in your latter two years to take whatever electives your heart desires.

As much as I don't like ATL because of how much they bash UVa, I have to admit, they wield an unseemly amount of power in the legal community. At my old firm (V100), we had a little incident that happened to make it onto ATL, despite the firm's attempt to sweep it under the rug. I just remember running into the legal recruiter/ head HR person when it got released and how freaked out she was because ATL ran a little blurb about it.

Why do they bash UVa so much?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:29 am

chem wrote:
pjo wrote:

Why do they bash UVa so much?
Here's an interview with Elie Mystal talking about it: http://www.c-ville.com/Article/UVA/Are_ ... inflicted/

Dinho

New

Post by Dinho » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Incoming 1L here, I see that the NALP directory shows around 20 Boston firms coming to OGI, which seems solid to me. Are any of you current students familiar at all with the market and how UVA places there?

I do have ties.

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Dinho wrote:Incoming 1L here, I see that the NALP directory shows around 20 Boston firms coming to OGI, which seems solid to me. Are any of you current students familiar at all with the market and how UVA places there?

I do have ties.
I know at least three people who will be in Boston this summer. Seems like we place very well there, but I think you do need to have legit ties, or otherwise convince them that you really do plan to go to Boston.

Edit: If you have a lot of time on your hands, check out some of the firms' websites. You can search for attorneys by law school, so that will give you an idea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”