UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doritos

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm

gladiator wrote:I got my last grade at the end of February when I was a 1L. Nobody is going to top that.
I pray to god I don't

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Can only take one: Evidence vs. International Law. Thoughts?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Can only take one: Evidence vs. International Law. Thoughts?
take evidence so that i can get into IL.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Can only take one: Evidence vs. International Law. Thoughts?
Evidence is basically essential if you want to go into litigation. Unless you are fully committed to corporate you'll need to take it at some point, so maybe it makes sense to get it out of the way. On the other hand, it's offered two or three (usually three) times per semester, so you'll have no problem fitting it in later. Also depends on the professor. Mitchell is great, from what I've heard, but he also supposedly has a heavy B+ curve, which may not be the best thing for you as a 1L. I don't know much about the other two Evidence professors. Most people I know who took International Law with Setear liked it.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Evidence is basically essential if you want to go into litigation. Unless you are fully committed to corporate you'll need to take it at some point, so maybe it makes sense to get it out of the way. On the other hand, it's offered two or three (usually three) times per semester, so you'll have no problem fitting it in later. Also depends on the professor. Mitchell is great, from what I've heard, but he also supposedly has a heavy B+ curve, which may not be the best thing for you as a 1L. I don't know much about the other two Evidence professors. Most people I know who took International Law with Setear liked it.
That depends on how you look at things. On one hand you know you'll have a hard time getting an A in a class like that, but you also know that you'll have a hard time getting below a B+ too. B+'s really don't hurt you much so that means that a class with a heavy B+ curve is a nice "safety" class--you know that if you bomb an exam you still have a high likelihood of getting a B+. Not so in a class with a wide spread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
That depends on how you look at things. On one hand you know you'll have a hard time getting an A in a class like that, but you also know that you'll have a hard time getting below a B+ too. B+'s really don't hurt you much so that means that a class with a heavy B+ curve is a nice "safety" class--you know that if you bomb an exam you still have a high likelihood of getting a B+. Not so in a class with a wide spread.
The keyword is "may." If you're aiming (or expecting) to be around the median, a B+ isn't such a bad thing. But if you're aiming for something higher, a wider distribution is preferable. Especially if you stand a chance at grading on to law review, you want to avoid B+ grades at all costs.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Another day of thumb-twiddling at the Student Records Office?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm

might see some action tomorrow....last two waves of course evals were posted on a wed iirc

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am

RVP11 wrote:Another day of thumb-twiddling at the Student Records Office?
Must be. Friday and Monday were state holidays, which may excuse the inaction then, but evals should have been posted today. There's no way that zero professors submitted grades since Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fouronthe4loor

New

Post by fouronthe4loor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am

Cavalier wrote:
Must be. Friday and Monday were state holidays, which may excuse the inaction then, but evals should have been posted today. There's no way that zero professors submitted grades since Friday.
But UVA doesn't get MLK Day off, so they should've been working away in the Student Records Office...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 am

fouronthe4loor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
But UVA doesn't get MLK Day off, so they should've been working away in the Student Records Office...
I know the J-term professors and students don't, but I'm not sure about the support staff. Two years ago I recall them making no admissions that day, and last year no evals were posted that day. The inaction yesterday, however, is inexcusable.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:00 am

We have to get something today, right? I mean it's been a week and Wednesday seems to be a big grade-posting day. Good luck to us all.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am

joeshmo39 wrote:We have to get something today, right? I mean it's been a week and Wednesday seems to be a big grade-posting day. Good luck to us all.
I'm guessing there will be a massive update today. But maybe Cary Bennett has more important things to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

Cavalier wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:We have to get something today, right? I mean it's been a week and Wednesday seems to be a big grade-posting day. Good luck to us all.
I'm guessing there will be a massive update today. But maybe Cary Bennett has more important things to do.
Or maybe, just maybe, there hasn't been a single grade turned in for the past 1.5 weeks . . .

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am

If you want to take law and public service just for the fun of it... but want to land a firm job... would it look bad if I took that class? Is that too "public interest?"

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, it's already past the hour when evals are usually updated, and I saw Cary Bennett walking out of the office. I really wanted to say something, but didn't.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I am getting the sense that this is ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:OK, it's already past the hour when evals are usually updated, and I saw Cary Bennett walking out of the office. I really wanted to say something, but didn't.
Last Wednesday, they were updated around 2pm or so, I want to say.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

If nothing posts today, we need to take drastic measures, such as creation of a "Fire Cary Bennett" Facebook group.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Is the Feb 1 deadline this year the same it has been in the past?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:47 pm

what are all these seminars in ethical values? do we have to take PR if we end up taking one of those? also, anyone here taken PR...how awful is it, will i want to killself or is it an easy class that is worth getting out of the way?

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 pm

GAHHHH!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm

plum wrote:what are all these seminars in ethical values? do we have to take PR if we end up taking one of those? also, anyone here taken PR...how awful is it, will i want to killself or is it an easy class that is worth getting out of the way?
PR is always required. The seminar is basically just there if you need an extra credit. PR is kind of boring, it can be easy or hard depending on the professor. Cohen is particularly difficult. No reason to get it out of the way now since it's offered two or three times per semester.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Cavalier wrote:If nothing posts today, we need to take drastic measures, such as creation of a "Fire Cary Bennett" Facebook group.
Why haven't there been groups like that before?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”