UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I studied all the time.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:When and how do we find out our schedules?
Not until two or three days before orientation. Somebody could go through and cull out all of the different section schedules already, but you won't know what section you are in until right before orientation. Kind of a pain, but it is what it is.
I'll do it later if no one else does first.
Since you don't yet know your sections, I won't bother posting the entire section-by-section 1L schedule, but here's the gist of it:
Civil Procedure: 8:30-9:50, 3 days/week (two sections will meet 8:50-9:50, 4 days/week)
Torts: 10:00-11:20, 3 days/week (one section will meet 10:00-11:00, 4 days/week)
Criminal Law: Either 2:10-3:30 2 days/week or 2:10-3:10 3 days/week*
Contracts: 3:40-5:00, Monday/Wednesday/Thursday
LRW: 1 hour, 1 day/week, stuffed randomly into your schedule

*Two sections will have Low for Crim, and your schedule will appear to say that you'll be meeting five days a week. This just means that he has something going on where he can't guarantee which days of the week he'll be on grounds. You'll only meet three days per week, but those days will fluctuate.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 pm

5ky wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
wackjickham wrote:People on this board evidently like to talk about how much everyone talks about how much they study.
everyone check your totems
http://chud.com/articles/content_images ... ruined.jpg

That kind of ruined the movie for me.

Doesn't matter, I'm convinced the whole movie was just Leo's dream.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:When and how do we find out our schedules?
Not until two or three days before orientation. Somebody could go through and cull out all of the different section schedules already, but you won't know what section you are in until right before orientation. Kind of a pain, but it is what it is.
I'll do it later if no one else does first.
Since you don't yet know your sections, I won't bother posting the entire section-by-section 1L schedule, but here's the gist of it:
Civil Procedure: 8:30-9:50, 3 days/week (two sections will meet 8:50-9:50, 4 days/week)
Torts: 10:00-11:20, 3 days/week (one section will meet 10:00-11:00, 4 days/week)
Criminal Law: Either 2:10-3:30 2 days/week or 2:10-3:10 3 days/week*
Contracts: 3:40-5:00, Monday/Wednesday/Thursday
LRW: 1 hour, 1 day/week, stuffed randomly into your schedule

*Two sections will have Low for Crim, and your schedule will appear to say that you'll be meeting five days a week. This just means that he has something going on where he can't guarantee which days of the week he'll be on grounds. You'll only meet three days per week, but those days will fluctuate.
God. I forgot how much the 1L fall schedule sucks. Glad I never have to do that again.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:God. I forgot how much the 1L fall schedule sucks. Glad I never have to do that again.
My universal advice to people considering law school is to not go, but if they have to, to avoid being a 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 pm

FYI - Study however much you need to study and don't worry about how much others study. I guarantee you that there will be people who did better than you that studied less than you and people who did worse than you that studied more than you.

I do think that the very top of the class tends to work rather hard, but there are vast degrees of variation even within that bracket.

In law school, you can certainly make time to travel home for the weekend, run a 5k, act like a regular human being, etc. It's all about balance - you might have to give up some things or make some trade offs, but you certainly don't have to spend every waking moment studying.

FWIW - I never studied on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 am

BruceWayne wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:Haha, probably true. Do you really think it would be that big a deal? I would honestly get as much studying done at home as at school (nothing to do here besides what I mentioned), but if it would really be an issue I can skip the reunion (its like five people's birthdays, including mine) and find another race.

I know the first few weeks into my senior year were as busy as I've ever been, but that was with 18 hours and teachers continuing straight on from May.
Lol I'm not saying the 3 hours will make a difference. I'm just saying that you should be careful about having a laid back mindset in general. Also I'm not sure why thesealocust is giving you his anecdotal "evidence" about relaxing a lot and doing well. To be honest, one thing that you will learn very quickly about UVA, and I'm being serious for a moment, is that people constantly comment on how little work they do, how little they study, how much they party, and how little they care about exams etc. even though they study around the clock (making it worse is that you actually SEE them studying around the clock, even though their constantly telling you how laid back they are). I was discussing this with another UVA poster one day, and we both agreed that it's one of the downsides of the school. I'm not bashing the school, and you'll have to experience it to really understand what I'm talking about, but it's annoying as hell. But it's a part of the UVA culture. I've noticed that people at other schools B/S a lot less about that kind of thing.
this is oscar meyer. sure, some people are like that, but there are plenty of people who say they dont study and then dont study. its all about your approach- did i study all day every day for 2 weeks before exams? yes. did i study around the clock during the semester? hahahahaha. no. i know plenty of people who took a very similar approach. does that happen? yes. does it mean that thesealocust's story is false? hell no. do i enjoy talking like this? sorta.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

5ky wrote:Relaxing? Nobody said anything about relaxing. I said it wouldn't be a problem to go on a trip until November. That's a fact -- if you can't take a weekend trip in August/September/October somewhere because of time constraints, then you have some serious time-budgeting problems.

Who is "studying around the clock" from August - December, exactly?

--LinkRemoved--
2011-12 MANAGING BOARD

Editor-in-Chief
R. Kent Piacenti

Managing Editor
Jason P. Schaengold

Articles Development Editors
Lucas E. Beirne
Katherine Mims Crocker

Notes Development Editor
Shea M. Gibbons

In Brief Development Editor
Christopher M. Reilly

Articles Editors
Nicholas J. Barker
Andrew J. Bentz
H. William Bloom, III
Andrew N. Ferguson
David A. King
James J. Petrila
William B. Sohn
Joseph Q. Wood Alumni and Programs Director
Sanjiv J. Tata

Notes Editors
Kathryn E. Guilfoyle
Jack A. Herman
Robert Wai Wong
Shawn X. Yang

In Brief Editor
John E. Beerbower

Executive Editors
Megan E. Dellinger
Richard F. Dudley
John B. Hurst
Nicholas C. Krainak
Mariana O. Seixas

Business and Office Manager
Valerie Listorti

2011-12 EDITORIAL BOARD

Craig Bergman
Matthew Bloom
Clare Boronow
Adam Fleisher
Daniel Gordon
Tara Halsch
Jarrod Jenkins
Laura Jenkins
Anna Johnson
Gary Johnson
Carolyn Kendall
Lauren Kunkle
Eric Martin
Mark McBride
David Metcalf
Ryan Notton
David Smith
Jessica Sommer
Steven Sun
Aaron Terr
Sarah Wohl

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 am

I get the joke behind this (hopefully you were using it to be funny), but being on law review does not mean these people were studying around the clock (or even any harder/as hard as the average student). some of these people crushed one weekend of journal tryouts, and there are plenty of people who grade on to law review who crush exams but dont necessarily study a ton.

the joke is clever, just wanted to make sure the incoming 1Ls didnt take it as "the only way I can get on law review is if i study around the clock" or worse "if i study around the clock i will get on law review"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:37 am

BruceWayne wrote:
5ky wrote:Relaxing? Nobody said anything about relaxing. I said it wouldn't be a problem to go on a trip until November. That's a fact -- if you can't take a weekend trip in August/September/October somewhere because of time constraints, then you have some serious time-budgeting problems.

--LinkRemoved--
2011-12 MANAGING BOARD

Editor-in-Chief
R. Kent Piacenti

Managing Editor
Jason P. Schaengold

Lucas E. Beirne
Katherine Mims Crocker

Notes Development Editor
Shea M. Gibbons

Christopher M. Reilly

Articles Editors
Nicholas J. Barker
Andrew J. Bentz
H. William Bloom, III
Andrew N. Ferguson
David A. King
James J. Petrila
William B. Sohn
Joseph Q. Wood Alumni and Programs Director
Sanjiv J. Tata

Notes Editors
Kathryn E. Guilfoyle
Jack A. Herman
Robert Wai Wong
Shawn X. Yang

In Brief Editor
John E. Beerbower

Executive Editors
Megan E. Dellinger
Richard F. Dudley
John B. Hurst
Nicholas C. Krainak
Mariana O. Seixas

Valerie Listorti

2011-12 EDITORIAL BOARD

Craig Bergman
Matthew Bloom
Clare Boronow
Adam Fleisher
Daniel Gordon
Tara Halsch
Jarrod Jenkins
Laura Jenkins
Anna Johnson
Gary Johnson
Carolyn Kendall
Lauren Kunkle
Eric Martin
Mark McBride
David Metcalf
Ryan Notton
David Smith
Jessica Sommer
Steven Sun
Aaron Terr
Sarah Wohl
I know like 75% of the people on the list and most of them are not "studying around the clock," especially not as 2Ls. Go out to bar review on a Thursday night and I bet you'll see 10+ of the people from Law Review - they're probably better represented than the bottom 10%.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 am

My total study percentage was probably in the bottom 1% the first 4/5ths of the semester. After that i buckled down. It's completely fine to do that if you can actually buckle down and drown out distractions.

Ask Swinger how that turned out for us.

Edit: and BruceWayne, you are lame.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 am

jawsthegreat wrote:My total study percentage was probably in the bottom 1% the first 4/5ths of the semester. After that i buckled down. It's completely fine to do that if you can actually buckle down and drown out distractions.

BW says some good stuff, this was just not one of his more accurate statements.

Its all about finding the study pattern that works best for you.

Well.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

jawsthegreat wrote:My total study percentage was probably in the bottom 1% the first 4/5ths of the semester. After that i buckled down. It's completely fine to do that if you can actually buckle down and drown out distractions.

LMAO apparently Swinger is the only one who can take a joke. :lol:

But on a serious note VAmedic's response was much more realistic. People aren't shitting around and landing at the top of the class. That Law Review constantly at bars etc. is utter bullshit. A lot of the people at the very top of the class are in my section, and they sure as shit aren't in the "bottom one" percent of work ethic. Whatever the hell that even means at UVA. Besides you're saying that as if it that's not a shit ton of work too. Just because you didn't go full blast all year, but then suddenly studied 12 hour days for a month up until lfinals doesn't mean you were "laid back". WTH? But that's what I'm talking about, we have a real warped sense of what intense is because of the nature of law school, especially a top one. Ask a normal person if they think that's "laid back" and see what they tell you.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVAHoo2013

New

Post by UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Congratulations.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:07 am

BruceWayne wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

2011-12 MANAGING BOARD

Editor-in-Chief
R. Kent Piacenti

Managing Editor
Jason P. Schaengold

Lucas E. Beirne
Katherine Mims Crocker

Notes Development Editor
Shea M. Gibbons

Christopher M. Reilly

Articles Editors
Nicholas J. Barker
Andrew J. Bentz
H. William Bloom, III
Andrew N. Ferguson
David A. King
James J. Petrila
William B. Sohn
Joseph Q. Wood

Alumni and Programs Director
Sanjiv J. Tata

Notes Editors
Kathryn E. Guilfoyle
Jack A. Herman
Robert Wai Wong
Shawn X. Yang

In Brief Editor
John E. Beerbower

Executive Editors
Megan E. Dellinger
Richard F. Dudley
John B. Hurst
Nicholas C. Krainak
Mariana O. Seixas

Valerie Listorti

2011-12 EDITORIAL BOARD

Craig Bergman
Matthew Bloom
Clare Boronow
Adam Fleisher
Daniel Gordon
Tara Halsch
Jarrod Jenkins
Laura Jenkins
Anna Johnson
Gary Johnson
Carolyn Kendall
Lauren Kunkle
Eric Martin
Mark McBride
David Metcalf
Ryan Notton
David Smith
Jessica Sommer
Steven Sun
Aaron Terr
Sarah Wohl
This is just silly; only a couple people on that list actually study "around the clock" from August through December. Success in law school requires hard work, but not insane hours or anything. You just have to know what you're doing with your time.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

jawsthegreat wrote:My total study percentage was probably in the bottom 1% the first 4/5ths of the semester.
What percentage of readings did you do? If more than 25%, you were not in the bottom 1%.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 am

RVP11 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:My total study percentage was probably in the bottom 1% the first 4/5ths of the semester.
What percentage of readings did you do? If more than 25%, you were not in the bottom 1%.
Less than 10%. This can be verified by Swinger.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
"i didnt do the reading, if i get cold called im screwed." ... 10 minutes later... "[jaws], what does [case] tell us about [topic]?" ... **mutters something about a groundhog** ... "uhh..." **looks to me, whispering the answer to him** ... "[correct answer]" ... **loud applause from the class**

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am

cool story bro

UVAHoo2013

New

Post by UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
"i didnt do the reading, if i get cold called im screwed." ... 10 minutes later... "[jaws], what does [case] tell us about [topic]?" ... **mutters something about a groundhog** ... "uhh..." **looks to me, whispering the answer to him** ... "[correct answer]" ... **loud applause from the class**

Ahhhh that's awesome lol

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am

oneforship wrote:cool story bro
wouldnt bother telling it if it wasnt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 am

Jaw Review

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 am

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
This is pretty spot on.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 am

swinger wrote:
oneforship wrote:cool story bro
wouldnt bother telling it if it wasnt.
did you guys play a lot of softball too or something? you sound like some pretty sweet bros, maybe I can hang out with you this fall. and you can teach me how to study, too.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am

dgouzoul wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

This is pretty spot on.
Jaw review.
We should just start our own thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”