UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Course evals all went up simultaneously. Death is coming.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Course evals all went up simultaneously. Death is coming.
Actuall Armacost's torts eval just went up (and it wasn't there a couple hours ago), which means that evals go up throughout the day, I gather. Still waiting on Barzun's eval though. Ridiculous that the evals from the torts classes with 90 people go up first, but the 30 and 60 person classes are still waiting.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Actuall Armacost's torts eval just went up (and it wasn't there a couple hours ago), which means that evals go up throughout the day, I gather. Still waiting on Barzun's eval though. Ridiculous that the evals from the torts classes with 90 people go up first, but the 30 and 60 person classes are still waiting.
Look, I'm just praying that my 85 year old tort professor doesn't run into morbidity or mortality before turning in our grades

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Look, I'm just praying that my 85 year old tort professor doesn't run into morbidity or mortality before turning in our grades
You don't like grades by committee?
From what I've heard about O'Connell, grades by committee sounds better than by him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
You don't like grades by committee?
Unfortunately, the committee would probably operate under the assumption that:

a) We had a semester of Torts

b) That our exam had a fact pattern to it . . . (1 sentence does not make a fact pattern)

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks again for doing this thread. I was just admitted to UVA a few weeks ago and this has been extremely helpful.

My question today is, how much of a Jewish community is there at UVA? Do you have any idea what percentage of the students are Jewish, or a general sense of whether there is an active Jewish community?

Thanks!

LSlobbyist

New

Post by LSlobbyist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:26 pm

So, here are two "quality of life" questions:

1) Are there any small "perks" that come along for UVA Law students? For example, until recently, Harvard Law used to have an ice skating rink for their students. Not that this is a huge factor in my decision-making process--just curious.

2) This question may be better suited for 2Ls, but what can you tell me about Feb Club?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:29 pm

LSlobbyist wrote:1) Are there any small "perks" that come along for UVA Law students? For example, until recently, Harvard Law used to have an ice skating rink for their students. Not that this is a huge factor in my decision-making process--just curious.
Harvard may have one skating rink, but UVA offers an entire competitive softball league. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:21 pm

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm

O'Connell's torts evaluations are up!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:40 pm

vamedic03 wrote:O'Connell's torts evaluations are up!
Let the random grading commence! (destroying my GPA/rubbing salt in the wounds)

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 pm

WTF is with Verkerke? Considering we were expecting him to post our final exam grades shortly after December 17, I'm really surprised.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.
Also answered in the C/O 2013 thread, but it's an online form that requires access to SIS, UVA's online system. You should get a temporary login/password as an admitted student that gives you access to SIS; once you have that you can go to the financial aid section and fill out the form you're talking about.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.
Also answered in the C/O 2013 thread, but it's an online form that requires access to SIS, UVA's online system. You should get a temporary login/password as an admitted student that gives you access to SIS; once you have that you can go to the financial aid section and fill out the form you're talking about.
Just watch for the email . . . there really is no rush as long as you do it by the deadline they give you . . . Also, if you're 28 or younger, make sure you get your parents' information (Sucked being 28, married, and financially independent for 6 years and having to call and get my parents financial info)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Also, if you're 28 or younger, make sure you get your parents' information (Sucked being 28, married, and financially independent for 6 years and having to call and get my parents financial info)
Not married, mid-20s and very financially independent the last 5 years, and I had to jump through the same hoops. It is a little ridiculous, but oh well, if going to UVA Law were easy everyone would be doing it.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, if you're 28 or younger, make sure you get your parents' information (Sucked being 28, married, and financially independent for 6 years and having to call and get my parents financial info)
Not married, mid-20s and very financially independent the last 5 years, and I had to jump through the same hoops. It is a little ridiculous, but oh well, if going to UVA Law were easy everyone would be doing it.
It was really just an exercise in futility for me . . . I was ED and a substantial splitter (probably one of the lowest UGPA of the 1L class) so I already knew I was getting $0 in scholarship funds . . . add into that having a fairly well paying job beforehand and it was pretty clear I was getting a lot of Gradplus loans . . .

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm

The flight I'm looking at out of Charlottesville (for ASW) is at 6:45 on Saturday morning. Will I be able to get to the airport by 5 in the morning? Cab/shuttle/anything?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:The flight I'm looking at out of Charlottesville (for ASW) is at 6:45 on Saturday morning. Will I be able to get to the airport by 5 in the morning? Cab/shuttle/anything?
cab

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:51 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:The flight I'm looking at out of Charlottesville (for ASW) is at 6:45 on Saturday morning. Will I be able to get to the airport by 5 in the morning? Cab/shuttle/anything?
cab
At that hour? Really?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:00 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
cab
At that hour? Really?
It's a great place to live, but it's also got no more public transportation than you could hope for in a small southern city. The airport is almost 10 miles north of downtown/campus and the buses just aren't running early enough for you to make your flight, so "cab" is TCR.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
cab
At that hour? Really?
It's a great place to live, but it's also got no more public transportation than you could hope for in a small southern city. The airport is almost 10 miles north of downtown/campus and the buses just aren't running early enough for you to make your flight, so "cab" is TCR.
Okay, but the "really" was more like would I really be able to hail a cab or arrange for one to pick me up that early. I always drove home from Ann Arbor (similar town to Charlottesville I'm assuming) but my friends who had early flights to go home would have to call at least 2 cab companies bc one was sure to screw you over and not show up.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Will there be a bus/shuttle I can take from the airport to campus when I land. I'll be around around 2ish on Thursday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”