UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Twiqbal

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Twiqbal » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I realize this is last minute, but I am taking the journal tryout tomorrow and have not diligently researched the differences in the journals. I would appreciate any insight. I am particularly interested in which journals have 1L obligations and which do not.

Thanks in advance.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Twiqbal wrote:I realize this is last minute, but I am taking the journal tryout tomorrow and have not diligently researched the differences in the journals. I would appreciate any insight. I am particularly interested in which journals have 1L obligations and which do not.

Thanks in advance.
I realize this isn't helpful but I'm not sure I knew that information even when I was a 1L.

I had a tax cite check when I was a 1L, so there is that at least.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Ok UVA students...75K at Chicago or 105K at UVA? I was realllllllllly set on UVA but this new offer is giving me some pause. :?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Ok UVA students...75K at Chicago or 105K at UVA? I was realllllllllly set on UVA but this new offer is giving me some pause. :?
Go to Chicago and in your withdrawal letter bequeath the $105K to me.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 pm

danitt wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Ok UVA students...75K at Chicago or 105K at UVA? I was realllllllllly set on UVA but this new offer is giving me some pause. :?
I'll split it with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Sorry if this has been asked. Around how many minutes do it take to walk from Ivy (the end close to school) to law school? Thanks!

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 pm

This all depends on where you are in Ivy. It really isn't that small of an apartment complex. But I would say between 7-15 minutes is the norm.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Both are great schools and it really comes down to your preference. I don't know much about UChicago, but UVA has better weather and lower cost of living, so the difference is a little more than the face value 30k. The people at UVA also beat most other T14s, but that's my own opinion.

The question is ultimately whether the things that drew you to Chicago are worth 30k+ more than the things that drew you to UVA. You could post this in the choosing a law school forum too so you get less biased answers. You can't really make a bad decision here though.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Just wrote:Sorry if this has been asked. Around how many minutes do it take to walk from Ivy (the end close to school) to law school? Thanks!
The end closest to the law school is about 8-10 minutes door-to-door at a normal pace, quicker if you are walking briskly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 pm

105 at UVA is serious money. Knowing what I know now, I would take the money at UVA and not look back. Have you visited both schools? This sounds bad, but I visited both and Chicago seemed like the most miserable of all the law schools I visited while UVA seemed to have the best QOL (hence why I chose UVA). Make sure you visit both schools and see where you would fit better

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 pm

danitt wrote:
:lol: It would be awesome if we could do stuff like that in this process. I bet people on these boards would be way nicer to each other.
envisciguy wrote:
Both are great schools and it really comes down to your preference. I don't know much about UChicago, but UVA has better weather and lower cost of living, so the difference is a little more than the face value 30k. The people at UVA also beat most other T14s, but that's my own opinion.

The question is ultimately whether the things that drew you to Chicago are worth 30k+ more than the things that drew you to UVA. You could post this in the choosing a law school forum too so you get less biased answers. You can't really make a bad decision here though.
For me the only thing that would draw me to Chicago over UVA would be if it were really so much better as an investment that I pay more and sacrifice UVA's atmosphere and location which I really love.
AssumptionRequired wrote: 105 at UVA is serious money. Knowing what I know now, I would take the money at UVA and not look back. Have you visited both schools? This sounds bad, but I visited both and Chicago seemed like the most miserable of all the law schools I visited while UVA
seemed to have the best QOL (hence why I chose UVA). Make sure you visit both schools and see where you would fit better
It is definitely serious money, and being very debt-averse I was thrilled with my offer (on top of the fact that UVA was a top choice location-wise). I'm just nervous because I've been told twice that Chicago is objectively a better choice at only 30k more because of it's OCI placement, job rates, salary, etc. I have a lot of research to do I suppose. I wasn't expecting this at all so I have some catching up to do research-wise. I just know I hate the weather, hate big cities, and that I enjoyed UVA more when I visited (biased though because I met my family in Chicago for a family visit and stopped by Chicago for a cursory glance, did a quick lap and moved on). I really appreciate the insight on here and wanted to see what current students and other better informed people thought so I don't make a hasty choice and kick myself later. I won't be able to visit chicago myself because I leave the country in a few days and wont be back until June. :|

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Do you know where you want to practice after law school? Both schools have national reach technically, but I'm sure they each have an edge in their respective geographical regions. May be something to consider.

Check out both schools on lawschooltransparency.com too for some of the statistics you're concerned about. The employment scores are very similar, especially when considering that both unfortunately have relatively large numbers of school funded jobs. That's the end of my suggestions, because I don't want to be any more biased than I already am. Lol.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm

What was going on at Arlington Place this morning? Was there a fire?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Can some more of you peeps comment on my thread?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=204006

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:53 pm

albanach wrote:
StanleyF wrote:So let me get this straight: I get email when someone leaves their lights on in D3, or when the school is conducting one of its never ending drills, or when Sasquatoon School of Law is holding a writing contest, but not a single email to tell me classes were cancelled?
You excelled in undergraduate studies. You scored at the very top of the LSAT. You got into one of the most elite law schools in the nation. And you didn't check the school website despite there being 8 inches of snow on your doorstep?
Oh, don't worry—there was zero chance of my going to class on Wednesday. And I actually vaguely remembered being told in one of the school's endless emails that we should check the main website for snow closure information. My post was more a comment on the fact that I get like 20 emails from the school every week that I delete without even bothering to open, but when there is one crucial piece of information that I would like to see in my inbox, I get nothing.

Also, let's all sit quietly and meditate on the fact that the school sent out an email to tell us that it doesn't send out emails about snow closures.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Alright guys, I need some quick advice. Dean Richard told me to check back in April for a chance of matching scholarships/$$$ increases. But in April I will have already had to put my deposit down. Should I send one more email before April explaining my situation or is it best to just do what was asked?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

You probably have the best offer you're going to get for now. After deposit deadline they'll likely have money freed up, you might get a second chance then. I was really skeptical, but they really do give out extra scholarship cash after people deposit. No idea how commonly, but it happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

digifly wrote:Alright guys, I need some quick advice. Dean Richard told me to check back in April for a chance of matching scholarships/$$$ increases. But in April I will have already had to put my deposit down. Should I send one more email before April explaining my situation or is it best to just do what was asked?
Your LSN profile says you're getting $140,000 from UVA already. What offer are you trying to match that to? I'm not sure if they'll bump it up to a full scholarship, but they obviously really want you if they're ready to offer that much.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm

envisciguy wrote:
digifly wrote:Alright guys, I need some quick advice. Dean Richard told me to check back in April for a chance of matching scholarships/$$$ increases. But in April I will have already had to put my deposit down. Should I send one more email before April explaining my situation or is it best to just do what was asked?
Your LSN profile says you're getting $140,000 from UVA already. What offer are you trying to match that to? I'm not sure if they'll bump it up to a full scholarship, but they obviously really want you if they're ready to offer that much.
It's another with a stipend that's not even listed on there because it's kind of a giveaway. Anyway, UVA's offer is obviously incredible and I'm 90% sure I'm taking it, but I figured (and was advised) to try for what I could.

Edit: and by taking it I mean I want to deposit.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 pm

digifly wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
It's another with a stipend that's not even listed on there because it's kind of a giveaway. Anyway, UVA's offer is obviously incredible and I'm 90% sure I'm taking it, but I figured (and was advised) to try for what I could.

Edit: and by taking it I mean I want to deposit.
Understood. Your chances might depend which school the stipend is at. If it's a peer and you're getting one of their named scholarships, you can probably get the bump you're looking for from UVA. It might be less likely if its not a school UVA considers a peer. However, it can't hurt to email Dean Richard and explain the situation to see if there's any chance you'll hear back before the first deposit. Even if you can't find out by then, there's still a chance to get it after the deposit, since some people will deposit at two schools and schools know they don't always have a 100% commitment even after they get the deposit in.

Edit: the peer school thing is why I asked what you were comparing it to. No need to disclose that though as long as you understand the implications.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Yup, I figured that it would need to be a school UVA takes seriously. At this point it doesn't really matter to me, I can't really ask them for more and keep a straight face (considering the award already), but if more comes I'd obviously be happy. Time to get a beer and just let the thing play itself out.

One more question, do you guys know what the terms of depositing are? I was under the impression that after depositing you had to withdraw your apps at other schools (excluding those pending and waitlists), but it seems that this isn't the case?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm

digifly wrote:Yup, I figured that it would need to be a school UVA takes seriously. At this point it doesn't really matter to me, I can't really ask them for more and keep a straight face (considering the award already), but if more comes I'd obviously be happy. Time to get a beer and just let the thing play itself out.

One more question, do you guys know what the terms of depositing are? I was under the impression that after depositing you had to withdraw your apps at other schools (excluding those pending and waitlists), but it seems that this isn't the case?
Yeah, sorry it wasn't that helpful - it's just the first thing that came to mind from your question. As far as deposits go, from my understanding, the second deposit is the one that requires withdrawal from all your other schools. Obviously schools want you to commit completely at the first deposit, but I think you can technically deposit at more than one. At least, that's how I'm pretty sure it went for me last year.

mh013

New

Post by mh013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 am

Hey guys,

So I'm really feeling UVA right now (I got a nice scholarship) and I will likely attend, with the main competitors being Penn and NYU.

Does anyone know about people getting jobs in CA out of OCI?
I have ties (undergrad in LA).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 am

mh013 wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm really feeling UVA right now (I got a nice scholarship) and I will likely attend, with the main competitors being Penn and NYU.

Does anyone know about people getting jobs in CA out of OCI?
I have ties (undergrad in LA).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
PM'd ya!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 am

Anyone have experience with the MBA program? I'm considering it but am hesitant for a few reasons:

1.) The cost
2.) I will have an undergraduate business degree from a top 20 undergrad b-school and much of an MBA program is the same info...is the MBA worth it for the name?
3.) Employment - does the extra year mess things up for summer externships/SAs?

Is it worth doing the MBA with a very sold business background or would the business law program be more appropriate? I think I remember hearing that people with business backgrounds skip over some coursework in the business law program (accounting/finance) or go into more intensive versions of that coursework.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”