UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dgouzoul

Bronze

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by dgouzoul » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 am

what typically qualifies one for LR? 3.7ish? Higher?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I bet Kohinoor and Vanwinkle are top 20 percent.
Please. This is in such poor taste.

edit: I'm calling Sealocust with LR level grades. According to his roommates, he types like 150wpm. Some of it has to be more relevant than whatever I put on all my exam docs.
This is kind of contradictory, since on the last page I said I'll be crediting any good grades I get toward my extraordinarily fast typing skills. If that's your grounds for consideration you should be picking me for good grades too.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am

dgouzoul wrote:what typically qualifies one for LR? 3.7ish? Higher?
It's whatever puts you in the top 25 in the class of 360. Last year the 25th person had a 3.718, according to what's posted on the bulletin board outside the LR offices. It could be different depending on how everyone does this year. They'll figure out what the top 25 people in the class are and draw the line there, once grades are in for the year.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:41 am

I honestly think picking who will have the best grades is in pretty crap taste. But I am most intimidated by those who wrote like 20+ pages per exam compared to my ~10, so I figure it's as reasonable as any criterion at this point if we're going to play that game.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:44 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I honestly think picking who will have the best grades is in pretty crap taste. But I am most intimidated by those who wrote like 20+ pages per exam compared to my ~10, so I figure it's as reasonable as any criterion at this point, if we're going to play that game.
It's not like people have anything better to do while we wait. I predict you will end up in the middle third. See? Fun, and totally pointless, like 90% of TLS.

I lost track of who was being serious and who wasn't in the exam length thread, so I have no idea whether 20 pages is really impressive or not. I do know 10 isn't, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I honestly think picking who will have the best grades is in pretty crap taste. But I am most intimidated by those who wrote like 20+ pages per exam compared to my ~10, so I figure it's as reasonable as any criterion at this point, if we're going to play that game.
It's not like people have anything better to do while we wait. I predict you will end up in the middle third. See? Fun, and totally pointless, like 90% of TLS.

I lost track of who was being serious and who wasn't in the exam length thread, so I have no idea whether 20 pages is really impressive or not. I do know 10 isn't, though.
There's nothing inherently wrong with it. But I know who most of y'all are IRL. Guessing each other's grades just seems awkward. A little too personal, perhaps. This is why I tried to play it off with my reference to typing speed.

I definitely won't be disclosing how I fared to anyone outside a close circle of friends, much less to anyone on an internet forum. I mentioned my "worst case scenario" in one thread and instantly felt it was a mistake.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with it. But I know who most of y'all are IRL. Guessing each other's grades just seems awkward. A little too personal, perhaps.

I definitely won't be disclosing how I fared to anyone outside a close circle of friends, much less to anyone on an internet forum.
I've been thinking about that. TLS is populated with a hell of a lot of UVA folk and since I wouldn't exactly go walking around the law school shouting out my grades to everyone I don't think I'd want to do the equivalent on here. On the other hand it appears quite a few people on here actually want to know what my grades are, which I find highly amusing.

The Internet ends up being a really odd place, because it can manage to be both far too personal and far too anonymous. I'd have no problems at all disclosing my grades if I didn't know in RL any of the people on here.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 pm

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:19 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

There's nothing inherently wrong with it. But I know who most of y'all are IRL. Guessing each other's grades just seems awkward. A little too personal, perhaps. This is why I tried to play it off with my reference to typing speed.

I definitely won't be disclosing how I fared to anyone outside a close circle of friends, much less to anyone on an internet forum. I mentioned my "worst case scenario" in one thread and instantly felt it was a mistake.
I'm with JSUVA on this one.
+1

You lose vanwinklehoser.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I've already prepared the inconsistent lies I'll tell to people who ask my grades.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm

so it turns out that uva has hyper competetive students after all. i guess all of the beer and softball is just a charade. noted.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I've already prepared the inconsistent lies I'll tell to people who ask my grades.
Haha, +1.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

talibkweli wrote:so it turns out that uva has hyper competetive students after all. i guess all of the beer and softball is just a charade. noted.
I've been saying this for the past 4 months. :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

melbelle

New

Post by melbelle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Wahoo1L wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:When are grades coming out?
Grades come out starting in early to mid January. The course evaluation will typically go up on LawWeb the day before the grade comes out. In some instances, the grade might go up the same day as the evaluation or the grade won't come out until two or three days after but for the most part, evaluations are posted the day before the grade. Some sections will end up with most of their grades before the early February deadline (Section I had all of them I believe), and others will end up with none or one.

If SIS (the current system) is the same as ISIS (last year's system), grades will be posted at around 4:30-5:30am. Last year there was a message saying that ISIS is down between 11:00am and 6:00am, but it would always come up about an hour and a half before the stated time.
This is helpful, thanks. Now I will check for course evaluations instead (since LawWeb seems to be faster than SIS).
As Wahoo 1L stated, in recent years there was a pretty quick turnaround. But, the new system is slowing things down. Now, turnaround time is ideally 2-3 working days and could be longer. Short courses have had grades in for weeks with no SIS update in sight. So, it's just hurry up and wait.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:45 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:

edit: I'm calling Sealocust with LR level grades. According to his roommates, he types like 150wpm. Some of it has to be more relevant than whatever I put on all my exam docs.
You do know that this is an anonymous online website right? I mean I know that we all are probably spending too much time on here but I'm pretty sure "vanwinkle" and "kohinoor" are not people's real names. Hell with the things people say about minorities/URMS on here "poor taste" has a pretty low bar on TLS anyway.
talibkweli wrote:so it turns out that uva has hyper competetive students after all. i guess all of the beer and softball is just a charade. noted.
Seriously, any of the top schools that say that are BSing. I mean as soon as I saw the 3.85 median undergrad GPA I knew that that whole non competitive thing was garbage. Kids who get 3.85 GPAs in college don't do it by "balancing school and a social life" they do it by not doing anything in undergrad but homework and studying for class. What's a 3.85+, like 5 B+s during your entire Ugrad career? I remember a couple of Stanford students a while back who finally admitted that even their reputation for being "laid" back was Bull. One was saying how many of the students stayed in the library until 2am every night--and this is at Stanford where they don't even have real grades and most students are trying to get Cali jobs-- where they have almost no other schools that can reasonably compete with them.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 pm

kurama20 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

You do know that this is an anonymous online website right? I mean I know that we all are probably spending too much time on here but I'm pretty sure "vanwinkle" and "kohinoor" are not people's real names.
Yes, but he does have a point because a lot of us UVA 1Ls know who each other are in RL now. Even those who don't could probably figure it out from the posts I make. I'm not comfortable with the idea of serious grade-posting because of that (though I'll still make jokes or commentary or whatever while I'm waiting).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

You do know that this is an anonymous online website right? I mean I know that we all are probably spending too much time on here but I'm pretty sure "vanwinkle" and "kohinoor" are not people's real names. Hell with the things people say about minorities/URMS on here "poor taste" has a pretty low bar on TLS anyway.
I could tell you their real names, though. Most of us 2012 people on TLS know each IRL (and some of my sectionmates lurk on TLS).
Also, some of us got tricked into joining a Facebook group after which some of the more... attentive? posters on TLS promptly memorized our names, faces, friend list, etc.

So yeah, giving out our GPAs on this site would lead to pretty much the whole school knowing our grades unless the mods let us create alts (HINT HINT YC).

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 pm

this.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

You do know that this is an anonymous online website right? I mean I know that we all are probably spending too much time on here but I'm pretty sure "vanwinkle" and "kohinoor" are not people's real names.
Yes, but he does have a point because a lot of us UVA 1Ls know who each other are in RL now. Even those who don't could probably figure it out from the posts I make. I'm not comfortable with the idea of serious grade-posting because of that (though I'll still make jokes or commentary or whatever while I'm waiting).

I'm not talking about actual grade posting--it was more a casual guess than anything else.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 pm

kurama20 wrote:it was more a casual guess than anything else.
Yeah, that part I tend to consider harmless (though potentially frustrating since you probably will never get to find out how right you are).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:00 pm

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

kurama20 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Seriously, any of the top schools that say that are BSing. I mean as soon as I saw the 3.85 median undergrad GPA I knew that that whole non competitive thing was garbage. Kids who get 3.85 GPAs in college don't do it by "balancing school and a social life" they do it by not doing anything in undergrad but homework and studying for class. What's a 3.85+, like 5 B+s during your entire Ugrad career? I remember a couple of Stanford students a while back who finally admitted that even their reputation for being "laid" back was Bull. One was saying how many of the students stayed in the library until 2am every night--and this is at Stanford where they don't even have real grades and most students are trying to get Cali jobs-- where they have almost no other schools that can reasonably compete with them.
oh of course. i was just teasing these guys by acting like they were this crazy about grades every day of last term

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:49 pm

CE2JD wrote:You lose vanwinklehoser.
With your ability to churn out 10,000-word answers, I expect you will do very well and end up 26th in our class.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:You lose vanwinklehoser.
With your ability to churn out 10,000-word answers, I expect you will do very well and end up 26th in our class.
:roll:

I'll still make LR because of my albino-african-lesbian-disabled-jewish-muslim background.

LR diversity statements FTW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”