UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Yardbird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 am

digifly wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)
You really love spreadsheets!

And I really love your spreadsheets.
I don't LOVE them, just find them useful. I'm making an access database of employers too so I can mail merge for December quickly.
AssumptionRequired wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

O shoot, I did it thinking I would get the COL based on my numbers. I put 0 for food costs....can you undue that? Dont want to mess up the average
What are your actual food costs? I'll fix it.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

What's mail merge? I've heard it a few times.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Br3v wrote:What's mail merge? I've heard it a few times.
I've used it on Thunderbird to send out thousands of emails at once. It customizes everything in the emails and sends it from my account to the other person without having to do CC or BCC or anything like that. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

digifly wrote:
I've used it on Thunderbird to send out thousands of emails at once. It customizes everything in the emails and sends it from my account to the other person without having to do CC or BCC or anything like that. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Yep thanks. I assume you have to have a special software?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Also, when can we expect loan $ to come in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I accepted my loans on SIS and it says the distribution date is Aug 19. However, I heard that we may also receive the money about a week before classes start. Any current students have any input on this?

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

FYI, new estimates for COI are up, as well as tuition costs for next year. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 pm

pjo wrote:FYI, new estimates for COI are up, as well as tuition costs for next year. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm
How much did tuition go up?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
pjo wrote:FYI, new estimates for COI are up, as well as tuition costs for next year. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm
Looks like just about a grand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Total COA came in about $1,200.00 less than I guessed it would, so that's kinda cool.

Kinda in the sense that, you know, it costs $75,000 per year.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Br3v wrote:
digifly wrote:
Yep thanks. I assume you have to have a special software?
Nope. Thunderbird is an email client, and it's FUHREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Tuition for OOS students went up $1500.

firstimer

New

Post by firstimer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm

How are the professors teaching-wise, especially 1L? Are they actually good teachers or just good research-focused people / scholars?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm

firstimer wrote:How are the professors teaching-wise, especially 1L? Are they actually good teachers or just good research-focused people / scholars?
Most of my professors have been awesome. Like cooler and smarter than anybody I had ever met. The ones that weren't on that level have been solid.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

O shoot, I did it thinking I would get the COL based on my numbers. I put 0 for food costs....can you undue that? Dont want to mess up the average
What's your actual food costs? I'll fix it.
Probably $125 a week or 500 a month

firstimer

New

Post by firstimer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
firstimer wrote:How are the professors teaching-wise, especially 1L? Are they actually good teachers or just good research-focused people / scholars?
Most of my professors have been awesome. Like cooler and smarter than anybody I had ever met. The ones that weren't on that level have been solid.
Sorry to press the point, but when you say that, do you mean they are also good teachers? Is it easy to learn / do most students find the quality of instruction to be good? I had professors in undergrad that were great people (smart / cool / etc.) but couldn't really teach.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 pm

firstimer wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Sorry to press the point, but when you say that, do you mean they are also good teachers? Is it easy to learn / do most students find the quality of instruction to be good? I had professors in undergrad that were great people (smart / cool / etc.) but couldn't really teach.

I don't think I am really a good person to judge how good of a teacher someone is, but I have been impressed overall.

I also had certified badass Collins so I could be biased.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
firstimer wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I don't think I am really a good person to judge how good of a teacher someone is, but I have been impressed overall.

I also had certified badass Collins so I could be biased.
The general consensus is that the faculty is very strong teaching wise, on average. There are obviously plenty of exceptions. I personally didn't have any 1L professors who I considered poor professors. Some were just average, some were fantastic. I know we are commonly ranked very high in polls/surveys for teaching quality.

One thing I think everyone would agree on is that compared to many other schools, our professors are extraordinarily accessible outside of class.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:14 pm

dixon02 wrote: The general consensus is that the faculty is very strong teaching wise, on average. There are obviously plenty of exceptions. I personally didn't have any 1L professors who I considered poor professors. Some were just average, some were fantastic. I know we are commonly ranked very high in polls/surveys for teaching quality.

One thing I think everyone would agree on is that compared to many other schools, our professors are extraordinarily accessible outside of class.
I really can't figure out why everyone keeps saying this. Other than one professor (Robinson), I have found it to be really difficult to meet with professors. A lot of them don't keep normal office hours and don't post their hours on the syllabus. I've had a few professors turn me away because I didn't "sign up" on their sign up sheet, even though the question I had could have been answered in a minute or two and they had several minutes before they were meeting with the next student. Some professors won't answer any questions at all by email. Then I've had a couple professors meet with me and answer my questions but act like they are doing me a huge favor/it's a big hassle for them to take time to answer 2-3 questions I have about something (literally I have never taken more than 10 minutes asking my questions, and I usually only go to their office once a semester for the above stated reasons).

Obviously, it may be worse at other schools, but compared to my UG (a small lib arts college), it's much, much worse. At my UG I would go talk to my professors and just shoot the breeze for maybe 30 min. I would never think of doing that here.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 pm

pjo wrote:
dixon02 wrote: The general consensus is that the faculty is very strong teaching wise, on average. There are obviously plenty of exceptions. I personally didn't have any 1L professors who I considered poor professors. Some were just average, some were fantastic. I know we are commonly ranked very high in polls/surveys for teaching quality.

I really can't figure out why everyone keeps saying this. Other than one professor (Robinson), I have found it to be really difficult to meet with professors. A lot of them don't keep normal office hours and don't post their hours on the syllabus. I've had a few professors turn me away because I didn't "sign up" on their sign up sheet, even though the question I had could have been answered in a minute or two and they had several minutes before they were meeting with the next student. Some professors won't answer any questions at all by email. Then I've had a couple professors meet with me and answer my questions but act like they are doing me a huge favor/it's a big hassle for them to take time to answer 2-3 questions I have about something (literally I have never taken more than 10 minutes asking my questions, and I usually only go to their office once a semester for the above stated reasons).

Obviously, it may be worse at other schools, but compared to my UG (a small lib arts college), it's much, much worse. At my UG I would go talk to my professors and just shoot the breeze for maybe 30 min. I would never think of doing that here.
:shock:

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 pm

pjo wrote:

For what its worth I've never had a problem meeting with a professor if I just shot them an email first. (Only one Professor I had never responded to email.) Today I actually saw a Professor stay for 40 minutes to answer someones questions after class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

pjo wrote:

I don't know what to tell you other than that I have had the complete opposite experience. I don't think I've ever had a professor whose office hours I haven't gone to. In most cases, I've just dropped in too unless it's someone who tends to get a lot of students, in which case I e-mail. I've also had multiple professors who I feel comfortably chatting with for a while as long as nobody is waiting. I've even had multiple professors give me their cell phone numbers and tell me to call later since they were unavailable when I was hoping to meet. Finally, I've taken most of my professors out to lunch as part of that program. So I'm not sure what to say in reaction to that, except that I've never heard of anyone have this complaint. Maybe you're just taking the wrong professors.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 am

pjo wrote:

I dont know if its something you are doing wrong, but my exp has been the same as everyone else on here. I have always gotten an email back within that day about meeting and they have always been accessible. Yeah, dont just walk to a professors class if they dont have office hours without emailing, but I feel like that is common sense. Some might be cool with that, some wont. But you are not giving the professors here enough credit.

I had one professor who was only in town for 4 days to see his wife (I am guessing thats why he was back) and in that time he met up with me to go over my exam. I have had professors keep final reviews going for over an hour after the period ended just to help answer more questions. I have never had an issue.

On subject of professors...I agree with the some fantastic and some not so much. I walked out of torts and contracts last semester feeling like I could run my own practice on those issues (obviously I couldnt) just b/c the professors were so good. I walked out of crim and Civ pro feeling like I had no idea what happened. Yet got an A- in crim (just saying I dont think it was just me not getting it). It can be hit or miss but I would say, most the professors that teach 1L classes do that because they want to, and most of them seem great.

firstimer

New

Post by firstimer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 am

pjo wrote:

I really can't figure out why everyone keeps saying this.
Interesting experiences. Anyone else have any feedback? Teaching quality / accessibility of faculty is very important to me because I didn't necessarily get the opportunity to get to know my professors in undergrad.

Also, couple of other random questions:
1) is it possible to get part-time (<10 hours per week) jobs on campus / be an RA in the residence halls?
2) what % would you say of your class (if you're a 3L) has not found a job for the next year? Do people in the school-funded fellowships genuinely want to be there, or have they been pushed into it to boost the school's employment numbers?
3) free food opportunities...many or few? (pretty trivial q)
4) is the social scene pretty good? (also trivial q)

Thanks for any info!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am

I dont know if its something you are doing wrong, but my exp has been the same as everyone else on here. I have always gotten an email back within that day about meeting and they have always been accessible. Yeah, dont just walk to a professors class if they dont have office hours without emailing, but I feel like that is common sense. Some might be cool with that, some wont. But you are not giving the professors here enough credit.
Yeah... not sure how I could be doing something "wrong." Like I said, I never take more than a few minutes asking a question and I always try to email ahead to set up a time (unless the professor just doesn't email me back, which has happened fairly often). I'm glad no one else has experienced this though; however, it does make me wonder if just no one else is speaking up about bad experiences. I mean, this has happened on more than one occasion and with different professors. By far my worst experience was when I asked a professor a question during office hours, he rolled his eyes, did a big sigh and literally told me he wouldn't answer the question because it was something I should be able to figure out on my own. For what it's worth, I then went and asked someone else in the class - they didn't know the answer. Then I asked a friend who worked in this particular industry before school, and he too did not know the answer. So yeah, that left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

With all that said, I have found the level of teaching quality to be top notch. Even the professors who everyone rags on, I find to be fairly decent. I should also note that I have had some very positive out-of-class experiences with some professors (Robinson, Balnave is super nice, Setear always talks to me at the gym even though I have never taken a class with him).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”