UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
albanach

Gold

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by albanach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:37 am

thatkid wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:Hey guys

Admitted today, so still floating on cloud 9 etc etc.

For anyone that had to bring a SO to charlottesville, what did you find to be the best plan of action as far as them finding employment goes? My gf graduates in May, and I would love for her to find something good in town. Richmond is always an option but charlottesville is of course preferable. Don't want to have her resort to McDs or the like.
+1
Charlottesville has a university you may have heard about. They have been known to employ graduates.

There's also GE, Northrop Grumman (who just laid off staff), Crutchfield, the UVA hospital, another hospital (Martha Jefferson), Lexis Nexis, the CFA Institute and the National Ground Intelligence Center

Puttanesca

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Puttanesca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Is there another place to find course syllabi besides on the Lawweb homepage and besides viewing the list of all the courses being taught this semester? I cannot find the syllabi for my two elective courses, and they both meet tomorrow.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Is there another place to find course syllabi besides on the Lawweb homepage and besides viewing the list of all the courses being taught this semester? I cannot find the syllabi for my two elective courses, and they both meet tomorrow.
Some profs will email the syllabus to the class. Some profs will put the syllabus in the course packet from the copy center. Others will simply give out a syllabus the first day.

Unless the prof has emailed you or placed an announcement on lawweb, I think it is safe to assume that there is no assignment for tomorrow.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Is there another place to find course syllabi besides on the Lawweb homepage and besides viewing the list of all the courses being taught this semester? I cannot find the syllabi for my two elective courses, and they both meet tomorrow.
Some profs will email the syllabus to the class. Some profs will put the syllabus in the course packet from the copy center. Others will simply give out a syllabus the first day.

Unless the prof has emailed you or placed an announcement on lawweb, I think it is safe to assume that there is no assignment for tomorrow.
Sometimes Professors put the first day's assignment on the bulletin board outside the Student Records Office, but that might be an exclusively fall semester type deal. Also, there's no assignments for any classes currently posted outside there, so yeah, I guess there isn't an assignment for you for the first day.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:59 pm

slider wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Has anyone had experienced with switching classes around by just showing up on the first day? I'm interested in switching one but there's a waitlist with a fair number of people on it. It sounds unlikely but I've heard people doing it successfully in the past. Anyone have any insight? Is there a way I could access any enrollment info even though LawReg is closed?
Use SIS to enroll (http://www.virginia.edu/sis). Enroll, stay on the waitlist, attend every class, and express your interest to the professor. You should be able to get in near the add/drop deadline.
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

LawReg is only for the lottery. You use SIS to add/drop courses -- you can see all the courses listed on LawWeb, they've been there since August or whenever.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
slider wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Has anyone had experienced with switching classes around by just showing up on the first day? I'm interested in switching one but there's a waitlist with a fair number of people on it. It sounds unlikely but I've heard people doing it successfully in the past. Anyone have any insight? Is there a way I could access any enrollment info even though LawReg is closed?
Use SIS to enroll (http://www.virginia.edu/sis). Enroll, stay on the waitlist, attend every class, and express your interest to the professor. You should be able to get in near the add/drop deadline.
how do I get the list of classes available for the semester though, since LawReg is closed?
Law web -> current courses

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
slider wrote:
how do I get the list of classes available for the semester though, since LawReg is closed?
Law web -> current courses
just figured it out, but gracias :)

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 am

Fed Courts (Woolhander), Civil Rights (Hytnes) , or Communications Law (Nachbar) ---- ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 am

desertlaw wrote:Fed Courts (Woolhander), Civil Rights (Hytnes) , or Communications Law (Nachbar) ---- ?
Needs more Leslie courses.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 am

still messing with my class schedule

If anyone who's had Brown could let me know what they think of him, that'd be good.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 am

desertlaw wrote:Fed Courts (Woolhander), Civil Rights (Hytnes) , or Communications Law (Nachbar) ---- ?
I had Civ Pro with Wooly and have no intention of ever taking a class with her again. She's a very sweet lady and soft cold-caller, but I did not think she was a good teacher at all and frequently made things more convoluted than they needed to be.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 am

itsirtou wrote:still messing with my class schedule

If anyone who's had Brown could let me know what they think of him, that'd be good.
I had Brown for Crim and am actually taking him again for Crim Adjudication. The biggest criticism of him is that his class can be insanely boring. He basically just reads the casebook to you in class in Powerpoint form. He rarely cold calls and just asks for volunteers most of the time. He can be really funny at times and is a great prof to take to lunch. I'm not upset to be in a class of his again, but many of my sectionmates would be.

Also, no laptops.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 am

joemoviebuff wrote:

I had Brown for Crim and am actually taking him again for Crim Adjudication. The biggest criticism of him is that his class can be insanely boring. He basically just reads the casebook to you in class in Powerpoint form. He rarely cold calls and just asks for volunteers most of the time. He can be really funny at times and is a great prof to take to lunch. I'm not upset to be in a class of his again, but many of my sectionmates would be.

Also, no laptops.
This is not true for his Evidence class.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.

Actually it is true, you can't use laptops for his evidence. At least not last semester.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.

Actually it is true, you can't use laptops for his evidence. At least not last semester.
Oh, wow. I stand corrected. Glad I took it last spring.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 am

Insurance, Banking & Financial Inst., Corps, and Construction law. Only 8 class periods per week. #winning

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am

joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.
I mean, I guess I'll find out here in a few hours, but was there an e-mail about that before I signed up for the class? There's nothing on the syllabus that says no laptops.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

itsirtou wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.
I mean, I guess I'll find out here in a few hours, but was there an e-mail about that before I signed up for the class? There's nothing on the syllabus that says no laptops.
You are right, I am bringing my laptop just in case, but I also asked my roommate who's in the class also and he also thought they weren't allowed. Oh well, we'll find out.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm

If anyone needs books for any of the following classes, hit me up:
Pro Sports and the Law
Con Law with Forde-Mazrui
Evidence with Brown

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:03 pm

itsirtou wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.
Alright, my bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Any useful hornbooks for Legislation with Armacost? The casebook is Caleb Nelson's Statutory Interpretation.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a good used copy of Nachbar's Communications textbook. PM me if interested!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 pm

0L heading to C'ville next year. What is the reasonable ceiling of student orgs to be a part of as a 1L. Also, anyone in or know members of the Racuqet Club? In addition, do any of you remember when you received your .edu email address? Thanks.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:

Also, no laptops.
Alright, my bad.
haha no worries, i already dropped it. i decided 12 instead of 15 hours this semester sounds much better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”