UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
desertlaw

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by desertlaw » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

So much profanity directed at SIS and LawWeb today from me. Lots and lots of profanity.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

Perhaps student records is just engaged in a month long protest of SOPA?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 am

vamedic03 wrote:Perhaps student records is just engaged in a month long protest of SOPA?
I will be very disappointed if Feb Club isn't themed in this manner. After all, it is a month-long blackout.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am

inmans wrote:This year, I'm pretty sure course evaluations show up after grades are posted.
I can confirm this.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 am

sundance95 wrote:
inmans wrote:This year, I'm pretty sure course evaluations show up after grades are posted.
I can confirm this.
yep

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

If I wait until April/May to choose UVA, how difficult will it be to find a decent apartment? I think I read somewhere that there are two apartment complexes within walking distance of campus where law students usually live... will they be full by then? If so, what other options (within driving distance) are there?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

You'll be fine. Seriously, it won't be an issue at all. Even if you couldn't find an apartment on your own, there will be a ton of other incoming 1L's looking for roommates.

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:52 am

And what's the market rate for a 1 bedroom?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

pcwcecac wrote:And what's the market rate for a 1 bedroom?
Is Craigslist blacked out today too?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Craigslist average listing tend to be much higher than true market rate.

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm

ganggreen wrote:If I wait until April/May to choose UVA, how difficult will it be to find a decent apartment? I think I read somewhere that there are two apartment complexes within walking distance of campus where law students usually live... will they be full by then? If so, what other options (within driving distance) are there?
I didn't start looking for an apartment until May—made a three-day trip to Charlottesvillle, found lots of good places to look at, and signed a lease on day 3. I live driving-distance to school. I didn't really look near the law school, so I can't really help on those options.

t-ender

New

Post by t-ender » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:05 pm

More 1L grades are up.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Someone asked about 1L GPA cutoffs and then edited, but here they are:

Generally, at the end of 1L (so probably slightly higher for after first semester, but it won't make much of a difference):

3.75 = top 5%
3.65 = top 10%
3.48 = top 25%
3.42 = top 33%
3.3ish = median
3.18 = bottom 33%
3.11 = bottom 25%
2.95 = bottom 10%

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 pm

^^thanks 5

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

The amount of times I've thought about Feb Club this week has increased exponentially every day. When is the schedule coming out? Also, can Doritos, JoeSchmo, and TheSealOcust be iron-men with me?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 pm

desertlaw wrote:The amount of times I've thought about Feb Club this week has increased exponentially every day. When is the schedule coming out? Also, can Doritos, JoeSchmo, and TheSealOcust be iron-men with me?
SHOOOOTTTTTSSS

Themes were finalized yesterday, but there was overlap so negotiations are ongoing. I will tell you that many of my favorite themes (Teach Me How To Snuggie, Space Disasters, Failed Republican Presidential Candidates, Star Trek Burlesque) didn't get picked :/

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm

There's a picture somewhere on the web with Joe Schmo, DesertLaw, and Doritos from last year's Star Wars Burlesque that would kill any of our political ambitions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
desertlaw wrote:The amount of times I've thought about Feb Club this week has increased exponentially every day. When is the schedule coming out? Also, can Doritos, JoeSchmo, and TheSealOcust be iron-men with me?
SHOOOOTTTTTSSS

Themes were finalized yesterday, but there was overlap so negotiations are ongoing. I will tell you that many of my favorite themes (Teach Me How To Snuggie, Space Disasters, Failed Republican Presidential Candidates, Star Trek Burlesque) didn't get picked :/
What's the over/under on how many Feb Club parties that TheSealOcust will attend? 25.5? Also, one of the best parts of talking to UVa alumni the past year during OGI or during networking was talking about Feb Club. We better enjoy this. God knows we'll miss it.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 am

How do you get an unofficial transcript? In simplicity, the one there is all blank and and in SIS it says immediately processing.... does that mean I have to pick it up somewhere? I'm trying to send my grades out to a firm asap, thanks for any help

Edit: is it bad form to send a screen shot of your grades in SIS or some other rigged means?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 am

Law Sauce wrote:How do you get an unofficial transcript? In simplicity, the one there is all blank and and in SIS it says immediately processing.... does that mean I have to pick it up somewhere? I'm trying to send my grades out to a firm asap, thanks for any help

Edit: is it bad form to send a screen shot of your grades in SIS or some other rigged means?
SIS-->(Academics drop-down menu) Transcript: View Unofficial-->Report Type: Advising Transcript-->View Report

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:How do you get an unofficial transcript? In simplicity, the one there is all blank and and in SIS it says immediately processing.... does that mean I have to pick it up somewhere? I'm trying to send my grades out to a firm asap, thanks for any help

SIS-->(Academics drop-down menu) Transcript: View Unofficial-->Report Type: Advising Transcript-->View Report
Yea I got that it just wont work... Ok nvm I realized my computer was blocking the pop-up. Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Yea I got that it just wont work... Ok nvm I realized my computer was blocking the pop-up. Thanks
as far as the screen shot, a firm I interviewed with told me that would be fine as long as they could tell it was legitimate

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

You have all your grades? Damn.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:05 pm

SIS down? Cary doin' work.

edit: back up? not too much work, i guess

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I included both that transcript and a screenshot, since the transcript in Symplicity only has one of my four grades (and, of course, the one showing is the lowest of the four).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”