Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
marija

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby marija » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 pm

run26.2 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Visiting Penn with the girlfriend next week. Will be there Thursday night through Saturday evening--any "must dos" (other than Pat's, Geno's, and checking out the campus)? Want to make sure the trip rocks, because I am trying to sell her on Penn/Philly

If you want to make sure the trip rocks, I'd say don't go to Pat's or Geno's. They're not very good, except possibly to say you've been there.

This is good advice.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

marija wrote:
violaboy wrote:What are the first semester classes, and what is the weekly schedule like? (What time are classes? How early and how late can they go?)

This year it was Torts, Civ Pro, Property, Contracts, and Legal Writing, but there are rumors abounding that the 1L curriculum may change for next year.

Really? Change in terms of different courses of # of courses? One of my hesitations with Penn is that 4 doctrinal classes + LRW seems a bit tougher than other schools where it's only 3 doctrinal classes + LRW.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
marija wrote:
violaboy wrote:What are the first semester classes, and what is the weekly schedule like? (What time are classes? How early and how late can they go?)

This year it was Torts, Civ Pro, Property, Contracts, and Legal Writing, but there are rumors abounding that the 1L curriculum may change for next year.

Really? Change in terms of different courses of # of courses? One of my hesitations with Penn is that 4 doctrinal classes + LRW seems a bit tougher than other schools where it's only 3 doctrinal classes + LRW.

Yah, first semester sucks a nut. Chicago has got nothing on us. The flip side is that the first 1/2 of 2nd semester is almost not like being a 1L at all. I remember going out 3 times in one week. Felt like I was in the eye of a fucking hurricane (storm wall recently slammed into my back).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Yo, I've got a question of my own (if I didn't scare away the others),

Does anyone ever NOT get funding from EJF if they are working for a legit non-profit over the summer?

marija

Postby marija » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
marija wrote:

Yah, first semester sucks a nut. Chicago has got nothing on us. The flip side is that the first 1/2 of 2nd semester is almost not like being a 1L at all. I remember going out 3 times in one week. Felt like I was in the eye of a fucking hurricane (storm wall recently slammed into my back).

I think there's been talk of moving one of the substantive courses to second semester, in part because of new ABA regulations on the number of credits people are allowed to take.

First semester was difficult, but not terrible. I still had plenty of time to relax up until mid/late-November, and as Veyron said, second semester has seemed like a breeze (although the appellate brief due next week has changed that). All in all, I'm glad we had the schedule we did. First semester was a trial by fire, but finishing it felt great, knowing law school would never be that new/difficult again.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

How douchy are you guys, really?

flipadelphia

Postby flipadelphia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 am

Veyron wrote:Yo, I've got a question of my own (if I didn't scare away the others),

Does anyone ever NOT get funding from EJF if they are working for a legit non-profit over the summer?

At the summer funding meeting a month or two ago, I think the reps from EJF said they gave out about 7 or 8 grants last year... made me a little sour that I spent so many hours canvassing for them when the grants are clearly going to people who have public interest stamped on their foreheads. From my understanding a lot more people get their funding from the federal work-study funds.

That said, I don't hear a lot about people unable to secure funding for the summer. I think the federal work-study calculation only uses our own income and assets, as opposed to the general penn calculation which also factors in our parents $$ as well.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am

flipadelphia wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yo, I've got a question of my own (if I didn't scare away the others),

At the summer funding meeting a month or two ago, I think the reps from EJF said they gave out about 7 or 8 grants last year... made me a little sour that I spent so many hours canvassing for them when the grants are clearly going to people who have public interest stamped on their foreheads. From my understanding a lot more people get their funding from the federal work-study funds.

That said, I don't hear a lot about people unable to secure funding for the summer. I think the federal work-study calculation only uses our own income and assets, as opposed to the general penn calculation which also factors in our parents $$ as well.

Will federal work study still work for non-gov PI?
Last edited by Veyron on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

marija

Postby marija » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 am

Last edited by marija on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 am

marija wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:How douchy are you guys, really?

The general consensus is that people are much, much, much less douchy than expected. I think we all were terrified we'd come in and meet 253 huge douches we couldn't stand, but that hasn't really been the case. People are nice and for the most part down to Earth. Blah blah blah collegiality.

Of course, it's also possible that we've all just become douches since law school began and haven't noticed the transformation. Still. At least we're not Wharton. They win hands down in the douche department.

Yah, I would say the difference between penn and other law schools is that if we are douches, at least we are funny douches.

The gunners in my section are MOST hilarious (and actually pretty cool people)

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 am

marija wrote:

The general consensus is that people are much, much, much less douchy than expected. I think we all were terrified we'd come in and meet 253 huge douches we couldn't stand, but that hasn't really been the case. People are nice and for the most part down to Earth. Blah blah blah collegiality.

Of course, it's also possible that we've all just become douches since law school began and haven't noticed the transformation. Still. At least we're not Wharton. They win hands down in the douche department.

I have to agree as to the Wharton students, especially the undergrads (MBAs, undergrads, and law students are often in classes together at Wharton). But even there, it is easy to look past it.

I transferred from a school outside the T-14 and I don't think the students at Penn are "douchey." Very few gunners. In the 1 class I have with 1Ls (an elective), the only gunner is an LLM! Hilarious. Okay, maybe there is 1 other semi-gunner.

There might be a little social awkwardness in the 1L class, but it wears off pretty quickly and is no different from what I would expect at any law school.

On the whole, the students are very personable and people I enjoy spending time with. (er... with whom I enjoy spending time. ;)

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 am

All top law schools have a proportion of douche students. It just comes with the territory. Penn is no worse than any other, in my experience.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 am

Veyron wrote:Does anyone ever NOT get funding from EJF if they are working for a legit non-profit over the summer?

In years past, no one failed to get EJF. I heard rumors that last year, for the first time, a couple of 1Ls didn't get it because of increased demand ITE. Not sure if this is true or not. I can find out if you want.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 am

run26.2 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Visiting Penn with the girlfriend next week. Will be there Thursday night through Saturday evening--any "must dos" (other than Pat's, Geno's, and checking out the campus)? Want to make sure the trip rocks, because I am trying to sell her on Penn/Philly

If you want to make sure the trip rocks, I'd say don't go to Pat's or Geno's. They're not very good, except possibly to say you've been there.

You might try Jim's on South Street, instead. My personal favorite is Dalessandro's, which is a little further away from the campus in Roxborough, a neighborhood of Philadelphia.

What does your girlfriend like to do? That might help with the recommendations.

My favorites are Dirty Frank's, Bob & Barbara's, Fiume, and Locust Bar.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
run26.2 wrote:

You might try Jim's on South Street, instead. My personal favorite is Dalessandro's, which is a little further away from the campus in Roxborough, a neighborhood of Philadelphia.

What does your girlfriend like to do? That might help with the recommendations.

My favorites are Dirty Frank's, Bob & Barbara's, Fiume, and Locust Bar.

Good recommendations. Thanks guys. She's pretty flexible--probably into art museums (French impressionist) for the day and bars/restaurants for the night. She is a big "gourmande" and loves a good place to have a drink (just not dive bars).

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm

tipler4213 wrote:She is a big "gourmande" and loves a good place to have a drink (just not dive bars).

Ignore all my recommendations, then.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:She is a big "gourmande" and loves a good place to have a drink (just not dive bars).

Ignore all my recommendations, then.

I'll save them for when I am there alone for ASWs

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 pm

If she's into museuming, the Penn Museum has must-see exhibit featuring Chinese artifacts and mummies (until China takes the mummies back in early March):
http://www.penn.museum/current-changing ... -road.html

If you want a wine bar/tapas kind of place, I like Tria, at 123 S 18th St.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Veyron wrote:I remember going out 3 times in one week. Felt like I was in the eye of a fucking hurricane (storm wall recently slammed into my back).

This is the saddest thing I've read all day.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 am

Got my acceptance a week ago, and after the initial euphoria, the difficult questions are popping up.

Does anyone have any experience getting a secondary market from Penn? I'm from Texas and, while I wouldn't live there ideally, I'd like it as a fallback option if other options don't pan out.

Also, how difficult is it to stay in Philly if you're not originally from there (but worked there for 1 summer 5 years ago)?

And here's the most important question: I applied in January and got accepted in mid February, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I think I should qualify for something, based on numbers, but the list on the ASW is pretty confusing because the requirements for most of the scholarships are nebulous, not just based on GPA/LSAT (which is what I THOUGHT was the basis for merit aid). At what point should I conclude that I will have to pay sticker (and withdraw)? That $210,000 sticker price is pretty scary.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 am

niederbomb wrote:Got my acceptance a week ago, and after the initial euphoria, the difficult questions are popping up.

Does anyone have any experience getting a secondary market from Penn? I'm from Texas and, while I wouldn't live there ideally, I'd like it as a fallback option if other options don't pan out.

Also, how difficult is it to stay in Philly if you're not originally from there (but worked there for 1 summer 5 years ago)?

And here's the most important question: I applied in January and got accepted in mid February, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I think I should qualify for something, based on numbers, but the list on the ASW is pretty confusing because the requirements for most of the scholarships are nebulous, not just based on GPA/LSAT (which is what I THOUGHT was the basis for merit aid). At what point should I conclude that I will have to pay sticker (and withdraw)? That $210,000 sticker price is pretty scary.

Call and ask them about scholarships. There's no reason not to just do that.

My experience speaks pretty directly to your other questions (secondary market + staying in Philly). PM me for details if you want.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
niederbomb wrote:Got my acceptance a week ago, and after the initial euphoria, the difficult questions are popping up.

Call and ask them about scholarships. There's no reason not to just do that.

My experience speaks pretty directly to your other questions (secondary market + staying in Philly). PM me for details if you want.

I was admitted in Dec. and still no scholarship info. The admitted blog's latest post says they will go out in early March.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:I was admitted in Dec. and still no scholarship info. The admitted blog's latest post says they will go out in early March.

I asked Bayrex last week and he said mid-march. He also mentioned during a different conversation that they go in order of acceptance, so I think the earliest batches will hear first.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 pm

And the named schollies are in waves, too. So probably more invites should go out as people start to hear back.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 pm

as far as 2ndary market. if 1L summer job search is any indication, penn places very, very well in secondary markets.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”