Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
johnnyutah

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm

silly101 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
silly101 wrote:which supplements/books would you guys recommend for 0L? I know there are tons of threads addressing this but it would be nice to hear directly from Penn students!

Getting to maybe.

Read Glannon's E and E on Civ Pro. If really ambitious Farnsworth on Contracts (a hornbook).

Everything else don't bother. Many professors teach law that dirrectly conflicts with supplements or take a vastly different approach altogether. Also many supplements are just fucking wrong. I've been going through them with a red pen for all of finals period fixing the mistakes that I got charged $35to read.

sweet thanks
anyone else have books to suggest? im down to do some more reading..

Understanding Torts (the LexisNexis series) was really good, and Torts is systematic enough that you can really just learn it all from the book and do great on the exam (as long as you pay attention to your prof's quirks to prepare for the policy essay).

Although, it's really not necessary to start prepping now.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Ok Utah the deadline is TODAY. Canz I start trippin' balls now? Not a single grade is posted! AHHHHHHHHHHH

CCA

Postby CCA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:46 pm

The upper level grades are starting to come out - I have one so far. Last year, they didn't start posting any 1L grades until late January, but they all came out around the same time.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:53 pm

CCA wrote:The upper level grades are starting to come out - I have one so far. Last year, they didn't start posting any 1L grades until late January, but they all came out around the same time.

But isn't today the deadline for ALL grades?

CCA

Postby CCA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Last year they said they wouldn't post any 1L grades until late January (no matter when they were ready), and all of mine were posted in the last week in January. It made it hard for job applications when grades were requested.

I don't know if they will start releasing 1L grades earlier this year. They don't tell the 2L's and 3L's about any deadlines because our grades just get posted as they become available. I don't think there are any real deadlines because I have heard of 1L grades that don't get posted for months.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 pm

CCA wrote:Last year they said they wouldn't post any 1L grades until late January (no matter when they were ready), and all of mine were posted in the last week in January. It made it hard for job applications when grades were requested.

I don't know if they will start releasing 1L grades earlier this year. They don't tell the 2L's and 3L's about any deadlines because our grades just get posted as they become available. I don't think there are any real deadlines because I have heard of 1L grades that don't get posted for months.

Not cool Penn, not cool at all.

CCA

Postby CCA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 am

I found the Registrar's message about grades this year. The deadline for professors is supposed to be 1/22 for takehomes or 1 month after in-class exams, and 1L grades are all posted on 1/24 (if available). For everyone else, grades will just be posted as they are received.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 am

Veyron wrote:
CCA wrote:Last year they said they wouldn't post any 1L grades until late January (no matter when they were ready), and all of mine were posted in the last week in January. It made it hard for job applications when grades were requested.

Not cool Penn, not cool at all.

Dude, I didn't get my Torts grade until March 1L year. Some profs (especially one 1L Torts prof in particular) are notorious for not getting their grades in on time. You just have to try not to think about it.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Tagged, but scared at the bleak employment prospects posted on previous pages...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Anyone know what % of the 1L class gets a B- in any given class? What to know how likely this is to happen to me.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Veyron wrote:Anyone know what % of the 1L class gets a B- in any given class? What to know how likely this is to happen to me.

I think it was like 15% for my year. Something like 15% B-, 30% B, 30% B+, 15% A- and 10% A.

For the record, I just got a B- in Tax Law, and I'm so happy with it it's pathetic. I could have sworn that I was going to get the mythical Penn Law C after that exam. I'm never touching tax law ever again for the rest of my life.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:Anyone know what % of the 1L class gets a B- in any given class? What to know how likely this is to happen to me.

I think it was like 15% for my year. Something like 15% B-, 30% B, 30% B+, 15% A- and 10% A.

For the record, I just got a B- in Tax Law, and I'm so happy with it it's pathetic. I could have sworn that I was going to get the mythical Penn Law C after that exam. I'm never touching tax law ever again for the rest of my life.

Ah OK, I should have said B- or below. The civ-pro profs all give a handful of Cs. So does that make it like 20%?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Ah OK, I should have said B- or below. The civ-pro profs all give a handful of Cs. So does that make it like 20%?

At most. How many Cs do they give? Like, 2-3 in a class of 80?

edit: PM me your Civ Pro prof.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks for taking questions...
What's the furthest away people commute from for Penn (that you know of)?
How far away do you think is feasible?
I currently live around 45-1hr commute away and would consider making the commute to not have to move.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 am

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Thanks for taking questions...
I currently live around 45-1hr commute away and would consider making the commute to not have to move.

Where do you live at, and how would you be doing your commuting?

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am

johnnyutah wrote:

Bucks county. I could take the train- probably about an hour or so door to door, or drive- not sure prob would be 10-15 mins faster but wouldn't be able to read/study during trip.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:07 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Bucks county. I could take the train- probably about an hour or so door to door, or drive- not sure prob would be 10-15 mins faster but wouldn't be able to read/study during trip.

Yeah, driving doesn't seem worth it. It will be possible to commute, especially since you can read on the train, but keep in mind that you will have 9:00 AM classes as a 1L and will sometimes have to be at the law school pretty late into the night. It's doable, but it may cause problems.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Accepted and strongly considering Penn. Going for one day (and maybe that night) in a few weeks and then probably going later for ASW. What should I do during that one day to get a feel for Philly/Penn, having never been to either?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Any idea what the GPA range is for the middle 1/3 of the class 1L year? Is it something like 3.2-3.4?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Accepted and strongly considering Penn. Going for one day (and maybe that night) in a few weeks and then probably going later for ASW. What should I do during that one day to get a feel for Philly/Penn, having never been to either?

For Penn, hanging out in the law school for an hour is probably a good idea, as is walking down Locust Walk (the big walkway through undergrad campus). For Philadelphia generally...well, opinions vary, but I'd suggest Baltimore Ave. between 45th & 54th. Lotta chill bars in that area, and you get a good cross-section of Philly folks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Accepted and strongly considering Penn. Going for one day (and maybe that night) in a few weeks and then probably going later for ASW. What should I do during that one day to get a feel for Philly/Penn, having never been to either?

For Penn, hanging out in the law school for an hour is probably a good idea, as is walking down Locust Walk (the big walkway through undergrad campus). For Philadelphia generally...well, opinions vary, but I'd suggest Baltimore Ave. between 45th & 54th. Lotta chill bars in that area, and you get a good cross-section of Philly folks.

You mean Baltimore between 45th and 50th. ;)

And Reading Terminal Market is a must see/eat.
Last edited by r6_philly on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Veyron wrote:Any idea what the GPA range is for the middle 1/3 of the class 1L year? Is it something like 3.2-3.4?

I don't know for sure, but that sounds high to me. I could have sworn the curve had a 3.15 median, or something around there. Have you tried asking at the Registrar's office? They know about stuff like that a lot of the time.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

You mean Baltimore between 45th and 50th. ;)

And Reading Terminal Market is a must see/eat.

Awww, come on. Dock Street is on 52nd, right?

But yeah, maybe 54th was a stretch :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

No, 50th at the Farmers Market. Don't send new blood to their doom please.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

No, 50th at the Farmers Market. Don't send new blood to their doom please.

I was going on client visits around 56th & Springfield for a while. While I think Philadelphia is generally a great town, r6 is right and I would advise the poster not to head out that far on their first visit :mrgreen:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”