Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Action Jackson

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:16 pm

kurla88 wrote:Anyone sit in on "Analytical Methods in the Law" with Abrams today? Or has taken it a previous year? I'm pondering taking it just because there is NOTHING OPEN.

+1. The course sounds interesting, but I didn't hear good things coming out of his IP class last semester. Did anyone take that with him and have a good opinion? I'm guessing this will be different because he's actually an econ guy. I just don't know if it'll be different good or different bad, ya know.
Last edited by Action Jackson on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm

sperry wrote:How many hours is everyone taking? I'm in 12, debating whether I should add another class, but I think I'd rather just see if I can do really well in the ones Im in now. Plus it's 4 classes, so it doesn't look like I'm slacking.

Have you officially struck out at OCI? If so then you should take another class and keep it at 4 for the rest of the LS run. At least that's what I was warned before OCI. What are you taking?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:39 pm

sperry wrote:How many hours is everyone taking? I'm in 12, debating whether I should add another class, but I think I'd rather just see if I can do really well in the ones Im in now. Plus it's 4 classes, so it doesn't look like I'm slacking.

14, and I will probably add an independent study on top of that for a paper I need to write. No rest for weary 3L year apparently :?

sperry

Postby sperry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Action Jackson wrote:

Have you officially struck out at OCI? If so then you should take another class and keep it at 4 for the rest of the LS run. At least that's what I was warned before OCI. What are you taking?

I think I will add another class, but is there any reason in particular?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm

sperry wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

If it's just hours, add one of those bioethics seminars the school is always pushing. They are 20x easier than law classes.

sperry

Postby sperry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
sperry wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

If it's just hours, add one of those bioethics seminars the school is always pushing. They are 20x easier than law classes.

I added employee benefits, because it fits into my schedule and was open... Hopefully it has a final and not a paper.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 pm

sperry wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

I was told that if you struck out you're going to be have to be targeting firms/PIs that REALLY want to make sure you're a hard worker, above and beyond the insane amount of work we have to do by default. So I was told that if I strike out at OCI that I should pack my schedule as much as humanly possible and then emphasize how much work I'm willing to do in cover letters and interviews. It makes sense and I trust the person that told this to me (he's a small boutique now), but YMMV. Plus it kinda sucks.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
sperry wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

Oooooooooh. You are officially my favorite now. :)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

What sort of work do people who "strike out" generally end up doing at what rate of pay?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Veyron wrote:What sort of work do people who "strike out" generally end up doing at what rate of pay?

For their 2L summer or for a postgraduation job?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Graduation job.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Veyron wrote:What sort of work do people who "strike out" generally end up doing at what rate of pay?

Veyron wrote:Graduation job.

Beg, Barrow and Steal!
I have heard of 3LS who got clerkships, worked on the hill, went the banking route. Also know 2Ls last year who didn't get SA jobs till March...
It really depends, you have to hustle and the pay varies dramatically .
Plus, most who aren't employed do not go around announcing it (unless they are pissed at the school)

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 pm

That's the situation I'm in. I can give you the full details on my full situation and job search if you like (I'm very open about striking out), but it basically boils down to sending out tons of applications at tons of different places, and asking everyone I know if they know about any job opportunities.

I can also assure that I am far from the only median or above 3L in this situation. People don't talk about it much so folks have a tendency to get to thinking that it's only them struggling, but it's not.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:22 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

That's the situation I'm in. I can give you the full details on my full situation and job search if you like (I'm very open about striking out), but it basically boils down to sending out tons of applications at tons of different places, and asking everyone I know if they know about any job opportunities.

I can also assure that I am far from the only median or above 3L in this situation. People don't talk about it much so folks have a tendency to get to thinking that it's only them struggling, but it's not.

Godspeed, my friend, godspeed.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Godspeed, my friend, godspeed.

It'll probably be okay. I'm not above doing doc review for a year or two until the economy improves, if that's what it comes down to.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

Yah, I'd love it it if you P.M.'d me details of what the job search is like/why you think you struck out. I like the people at Penn very much but I hate all this, "we don't talk about grades/jobs" BS. Your attitude is refreshing and I thank you.

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 am

Veyron wrote:I like the people at Penn very much but I hate all this, "we don't talk about grades/jobs" BS. Your attitude is refreshing and I thank you.

People will talk to you about their situations if you're friends with them and ask nicely. You can't be pushy about it though and have to be respectful of the possibility that they don't want to share instead of acting like you're entitled to people's personal information. (I mean, you can, but that probably won't make you too popular.)

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:23 pm

underachiever wrote:3Ls and more resourceful 2Ls,
I am looking for outlines for:

Corporations (Wachter)
Analytical Methods in the Law (Abrams)
Corporate Lawyering (Basri)
Criminal Procedure: Prosecution and Adjudication (Bibas)

Thanks for your help! :D

Personal bumb as I'm dying in Corporations

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:01 pm

underachiever wrote:
underachiever wrote:3Ls and more resourceful 2Ls,
I am looking for outlines for:

Corporations (Wachter)
Analytical Methods in the Law (Abrams)
Corporate Lawyering (Basri)
Criminal Procedure: Prosecution and Adjudication (Bibas)

Thanks for your help! :D

Personal bumb as I'm dying in Corporations

There are outlines for Corporations and Corporate Lawyering at pennlawoutlines.com, but I don't know if they're any good. Have you got those already?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 am

Action Jackson wrote:There are outlines for Corporations and Corporate Lawyering at pennlawoutlines.com, but I don't know if they're any good. Have you got those already?

Ya, they are both pretty bad.....its as if people put there worst outline for the year on that site.

BendAndSnap

Postby BendAndSnap » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:50 am

Action Jackson wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Anyone sit in on "Analytical Methods in the Law" with Abrams today? Or has taken it a previous year? I'm pondering taking it just because there is NOTHING OPEN.

+1. The course sounds interesting, but I didn't hear good things coming out of his IP class last semester. Did anyone take that with him and have a good opinion? I'm guessing this will be different because he's actually an econ guy. I just don't know if it'll be different good or different bad, ya know.

I got an A in that class and I can say that he's not an effective professor. I taught myself everything.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 am

BendAndSnap wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

I got an A in that class and I can say that he's not an effective professor. I taught myself everything.

Way to dominate a poorly taught class! :)

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 am

Last edited by underachiever on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Last edited by underachiever on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

underachiever wrote:Love watching Penn Students in Class on TLS....

Were you the dude behind me in Tax, creepster?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”