Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
underachiever

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Veyron wrote:So, as the last class to go through 2L OCI before we do (scary!), what are your expectations for the process? At what class rank do you imagine your compatriots will have a reasonable shot at BIGLAW?

Median seems to have a punchers chance...

I'm guessing 60-65% get BIGLAW.
With about 15% doing PI and Gov't.
Maybe 3-5% snagging a clerkship b/c they have no/a bad job.
5% will work in Business straight out.

Looking like 80-85% will be doing something following graduation.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

underachiever wrote:
Veyron wrote:So, as the last class to go through 2L OCI before we do (scary!), what are your expectations for the process? At what class rank do you imagine your compatriots will have a reasonable shot at BIGLAW?

Is this based on anything? This would be a pretty substantial improvement from last year, right?

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:37 pm

underachiever wrote:

That's not too terrible at all. I hope it's accurate.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:39 pm

What are your expectations for the process?
Last edited by darkarmour on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 pm

What is Penn's LRAP like? Do you have to go into a particular field to qualify?

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 am

You can be in government or public interest. More info: http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/alumni/pub ... t/tollrap/

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 am

lostmyname wrote:You can be in government or public interest. More info: http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/alumni/pub ... t/tollrap/

Do you know if this is pretty standard for top schools? If I strike out at OCI and can't get a PI job, I do have a few connections at very small firms that would likely give me a job, but a low-paying one (think $40-$45K). Aren't there schools whose LRAP covers anything? Or am I thinking of IBR?

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 pm

1 more thing: do any of you current students know anyone who has backdoored into Wharton? I know the certificate is (fairly?) readily available, but I mean the full 3- or 4- year JD/MBA. I have WE, but only as a paralegal, so I don't think I could get into Wharton regular admission.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:15 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
lostmyname wrote:You can be in government or public interest. More info: http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/alumni/pub ... t/tollrap/

Do you know if this is pretty standard for top schools? If I strike out at OCI and can't get a PI job, I do have a few connections at very small firms that would likely give me a job, but a low-paying one (think $40-$45K). Aren't there schools whose LRAP covers anything? Or am I thinking of IBR?

I think Yale's covers everything, as long as it's under ~60k/year salary. IBR covers all kinds of employment as well.

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 am

How far into the school year before one needs to worry about buying a suit (if one is of a gender that wears suits)? Is there anything in the mandatory orientation schedule that would necessitate wearing a suit?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 am

x47point6 wrote:How far into the school year before one needs to worry about buying a suit (if one is of a gender that wears suits)? Is there anything in the mandatory orientation schedule that would necessitate wearing a suit?

Wait, there's more than one, or there isn't?

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:46 am

Tanicius wrote:
x47point6 wrote:How far into the school year before one needs to worry about buying a suit (if one is of a gender that wears suits)? Is there anything in the mandatory orientation schedule that would necessitate wearing a suit?

Wait, there's more than one, or there isn't?

I assume there's more than one. Let's just say if one self-identifies as a "dude," specifically as a "dude who wears suits," when does that dude buy a suit?

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 am

You don't need one for orientation, but I don't see any reason to delay getting one in case something comes up that you might want to dress up for. You should have one by the time the 2nd semester begins.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Action Jackson wrote:

You don't need one for orientation, but I don't see any reason to delay getting one in case something comes up that you might want to dress up for. You should have one by the time the 2nd semester begins.

Start passively looking for one on-sale now. Get a nice, 2 button solid navy suit.

It would be nice to where one to the alumni lunch day on the Monday in Sept. (its the day the calender tells you profs have off).

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 pm

underachiever wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

Start passively looking for one on-sale now. Get a nice, 2 button solid navy suit.

It would be nice to where one to the alumni lunch day on the Monday in Sept. (its the day the calender tells you profs have off).

It might also be nice to not waste your time going to that thing. :mrgreen: The consensus seemed to be that we would have been better off sleeping in. Christ, they even give you reading to do...

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Seems like a lot of 2Ls are unhappy with schedules/under-enrolled. Is there a lot of movement before add-drop? Or does it all happen then?

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:36 pm

There is some movement in classes like Evidence, where there are long waitlists and 3Ls let the Registrar know they want to drop before add/drop opens. Otherwise not too much. A friend of mine was enrolled in only one class (because he had bid for mostly 3L-heavy courses and failed to bid for alternates) when he first got his 2L schedule, and had to take care of everything during add/drop. In the end, he got 2 of the four classes he'd originally bid for, including Evidence

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

How important is the image they have you submit for your ID? Are prospective employers actually going to look at it? I.e., does it need to be a quasi-professional head shot or will a POS myspace picture do?

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:53 pm

x47point6 wrote:How important is the image they have you submit for your ID?

Not important at all. Really. It doesn't matter.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Can any of y'all tell me what "Advanced Problems in Federal Procedure" actually is? It sounds cool, but I have no idea what we're actually going to talk about. Anyone taken it before?

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 am

Any rising 2Ls able to comment on OCI this year? How many interviews?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Any rising 2Ls able to comment on OCI this year? How many interviews?

Ditto.

Also, just got the ding from Harvard. Now I know what the families of murder victims mean by closure! And of course, this means that you fuckers will definitely have to put up with my ass next year! Bwhahaha. Class of 2013, here I come.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Veyron wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Any rising 2Ls able to comment on OCI this year? How many interviews?

Ditto.

Also, just got the ding from Harvard. Now I know what the families of murder victims mean by closure! And of course, this means that you fuckers will definitely have to put up with my ass next year! Bwhahaha. Class of 2013, here I come.

Anybody? I know interview numbers are out...

aulburch

Postby aulburch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:37 am

This is to any current Penn student: When I was visiting Penn and other schools this spring, it seemed like there was a lot of passing around of other / older students notes in 1L classes (especially on days when people thought they may be called on by professors). Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see myself using another person's notes and getting much from them.

Can anyone speak to this practice and how common/necessary it is?

Sorry, but I'm getting the 11th hour jitters. I move into my apartment on Monday, so it finally seems like all this is finally becoming a reality! I just looked at the orientation schedule and got a case of butterflies before bed...

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 pm

aulburch wrote:This is to any current Penn student: When I was visiting Penn and other schools this spring, it seemed like there was a lot of passing around of other / older students notes in 1L classes (especially on days when people thought they may be called on by professors). Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see myself using another person's notes and getting much from them.

Can anyone speak to this practice and how common/necessary it is?

Sorry, but I'm getting the 11th hour jitters. I move into my apartment on Monday, so it finally seems like all this is finally becoming a reality! I just looked at the orientation schedule and got a case of butterflies before bed...

A lot of times what they're passing around is older students' near-transcripts from previous years. Professor like to ask the same questions, and the right answer is usually right in there, like a movie script. I don't know how common it is, but some students definitely use them just to get by in Socratic.

And orientation is the fun part...

lawschoollll wrote:Anybody? I know interview numbers are out...

This is kind of like grades, not something talked about in polite company. :P But I'd guess 15-25 from limited anecdotal evidence.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”