Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DelDad

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:01 am

lawschool7777 wrote:Oh, sorry, I meant compared to how University of Michigan students place in NY.

lol, sorry - late night. Don't know the comparison, but Penn does very well indeed, economic conditions aside.
Last edited by DelDad on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:03 am

ok, thats great to hear. thank you!

aulburch

Postby aulburch » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 am

I was just accepted last week and couldn't be more thrilled to be a Penn Law student. I have a few questions (please, if any of you could respond!):

I was wondering how my admissions Achilles' heel will affect my job/internship search during law school: a low LSAT. How/if at all does the LSAT comes up in OCI or the internship application process for 1L summer clerkships? Is it a wash once you've been accepted (ie, you defer to your LS grades/rank) or is it still considered an indicator of success? Do most people offer it on their resumes? I'm not too happy with my LSAT, so the sooner it can get off of my resume, the better!

Is it advisable to get in touch with the Career Planning office over the summer about getting information on drafting resumes and cover letters? I'm not too familiar with the Goat system yet, but if there is a place to go on there for samples or resume guides, please let me know!

When do we purchase books? Is there a list to do so on Amazon? I've read back on this thread and it mentioned pre-first class readings. Are these first assignments lengthy and require days or weeks?

Thanks for answering questions! I'm thrilled to be coming to Penn this fall!

alex06

Postby alex06 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:57 am

marija wrote:So, based on previous experience, which section has the best line-up of profs (or, which profs are the best for each class)?

Sec 1: Civ Pro - Wax, Contracts - Katz, Torts - Feldman/Allen, Property - Balganesh
Sec 2: Civ Pro - Wolff, Contracts - Wilkinson-Ryan, Torts - deLisle, Property - Gordon
Sec 3: Civ Pro - Struve, Contracts - Madison, Torts - Perry/Austin, Property - Parchomovsky

Hey- Just wondering how you know the line up for each section this fall! I must be missing some communications from Penn...email or otherwise.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 am

alex06 wrote:
marija wrote:So, based on previous experience, which section has the best line-up of profs (or, which profs are the best for each class)?

Sec 1: Civ Pro - Wax, Contracts - Katz, Torts - Feldman/Allen, Property - Balganesh
Sec 2: Civ Pro - Wolff, Contracts - Wilkinson-Ryan, Torts - deLisle, Property - Gordon
Sec 3: Civ Pro - Struve, Contracts - Madison, Torts - Perry/Austin, Property - Parchomovsky

Hey- Just wondering how you know the line up for each section this fall! I must be missing some communications from Penn...email or otherwise.

I doubt you're missing an email, poster is probably neurotic (like me!!) and stalking the registrar website :)

A fellow TLSer and I put together book lists and price comparisons during the summer before 1L and sent them out to the FB group.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:03 am

aulburch wrote:I was wondering how my admissions Achilles' heel will affect my job/internship search during law school: a low LSAT. How/if at all does the LSAT comes up in OCI or the internship application process for 1L summer clerkships? Is it a wash once you've been accepted (ie, you defer to your LS grades/rank) or is it still considered an indicator of success?

It generally doesn't come up unless you're applying for a program that specifically ask for it.
aulburch wrote:Do most people offer it on their resumes?

Nope
aulburch wrote:Is it advisable to get in touch with the Career Planning office over the summer about getting information on drafting resumes and cover letters? I'm not too familiar with the Goat system yet, but if there is a place to go on there for samples or resume guides, please let me know!

CPP follows NALP guidelines and doesn't talk to 1L's until November 1st. I think this includes summer. On the CPP website on goat there is the career manual which has a resume section: https://goat.law.upenn.edu/cpp/1LInfo/C ... .html#Sec2
aulburch wrote:When do we purchase books?

About 2ish weeks before class starts.
aulburch wrote:Is there a list to do so on Amazon?

Nope, you have to search them on your own. Amazon, B&N, and the school bookstore will all have them, books will be listed on the course website for each class.
aulburch wrote:I've read back on this thread and it mentioned pre-first class readings. Are these first assignments lengthy and require days or weeks?

Um.... they're not too long usually, I'd give yourself a few days since it'll be your first time reading a casebook and you'll probably get bored a few times before you finish the assignments :)

aulburch

Postby aulburch » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am

Georgiana wrote:
aulburch wrote:I was wondering how my admissions Achilles' heel will affect my job/internship search during law school: a low LSAT. How/if at all does the LSAT comes up in OCI or the internship application process for 1L summer clerkships? Is it a wash once you've been accepted (ie, you defer to your LS grades/rank) or is it still considered an indicator of success?

It generally doesn't come up unless you're applying for a program that specifically ask for it.

Nope
aulburch wrote:Is it advisable to get in touch with the Career Planning office over the summer about getting information on drafting resumes and cover letters? I'm not too familiar with the Goat system yet, but if there is a place to go on there for samples or resume guides, please let me know!

Great! Thanks for the lead. Do most students follow this general format to a tee? It seems really standardized across all of the resumes in the appendix. (I only say that given being in charge of first-year analyst recruiting at an investment bank and seeing all the variation).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:43 pm

aulburch wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Nope

Great! Thanks for the lead. Do most students follow this general format to a tee? It seems really standardized across all of the resumes in the appendix. (I only say that given being in charge of first-year analyst recruiting at an investment bank and seeing all the variation).

There will of course be variation based on people's backgrounds but that is a good starting point just regarding organization and formatting. Don't try to get too creative. CPP also has resume review sessions during the fall where they will look at your resume and give you tips and suggestions.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:35 pm

can someone tell me what the dates are for OCI bidding this year?

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:45 pm

stayingclassy wrote:I had Wax for Civ Pro - she's one of the best teachers I've ever had. I had Perry for Torts as well. Brilliant guy.

Yeah, I totes agree about Wax... but Perry needs to speak up and stop mumbling so much! Wax has a rough exterior and is 100% no nonsense, no bullshit, but if you can put aside the fear and antipathy that her attitude occasionally engenders, you'll get SO much out of her class.

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:46 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:can someone tell me what the dates are for OCI bidding this year?

OCI bidding is open already and will be closing on the 20th. I think it opened in late June, but I forget the exact date. They've had the firm list available (but constantly updated) since May or so.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm

can you post or PM me the link to the firm list? i am a transfer student, so i wont have access to it for a few days.

db33

Postby db33 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 pm

A new admit here. Thanks for all the great info!

I am shopping for a laptop and ...
- Any key suggestions/pointers? Especially regarding cheaper ones ($500-$1000) vs more expensive ones ($1000+)?
- Penn's guidelines recommend Windows Professional but not Windows Home. Is this a big deal?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 pm

db33

Postby db33 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
db33 wrote:A new admit here. Thanks for all the great info!

- Any key suggestions/pointers? Especially regarding cheaper ones ($500-$1000) vs more expensive ones ($1000+)?
- Penn's guidelines recommend Windows Professional but not Windows Home. Is this a big deal?

Get the cheapest OS offered by the manufacturer. Get to UVA and buy a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade licenses/disc for $10 from the UVA bookstore.

Is this available at Penn as well?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:50 pm

db33 wrote:A new admit here. Thanks for all the great info!

The wireless printer system will work MUCH better with Professional. I had home edition for 1L and I couldn't print directly from my laptop, I had to go to a school printer.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Anybody have any experience with the Legislative Clinic - is it difficult to get into? It seems like a great opportunity to get legislative experience.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Couple of my friends did it (both in DC) and had nothing but good things to say about it. Both said it was better the more days per week on site you could do. There is, from what I was told, space for one or two 2Ls each semester (not that those spaces are reserved for 2Ls, but that it just works out that way. 3Ls won't have a problem getting in.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm

DelDad wrote:Couple of my friends did it (both in DC) and had nothing but good things to say about it. Both said it was better the more days per week on site you could do. There is, from what I was told, space for one or two 2Ls each semester (not that those spaces are reserved for 2Ls, but that it just works out that way. 3Ls won't have a problem getting in.

Glad to hear it! Do you get to pick between PA and DC, or are you assigned to one?

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Didn't end up taking it (took mediation clinic instead), so not sure of the process - my strong suspicion is that it would be up to the student. My basis for that is that when I spoke to Professor Riuli about the possibility of doing the Legislative clinic in Dover DE instead of either Harrisburg or DC, because it was more in line with my career goals, he was extremely supportive of the idea.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:27 pm

DelDad wrote:Didn't end up taking it (took mediation clinic instead), so not sure of the process - my strong suspicion is that it would be up to the student. My basis for that is that when I spoke to Professor Riuli about the possibility of doing the Legislative clinic in Dover DE instead of either Harrisburg or DC, because it was more in line with my career goals, he was extremely supportive of the idea.

Gotcha. Makes sense - thanks!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:21 am

So, as the last class to go through 2L OCI before we do (scary!), what are your expectations for the process? At what class rank do you imagine your compatriots will have a reasonable shot at BIGLAW?

AdmitMePls

Postby AdmitMePls » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm

I was looking through my old school books and found my ConLaw book from undergrad-- Sullivan and Gunther. Any chance that is the same text used for ConLaw at Penn? My guess is not, but wanted to check in case it would be helpful to lug it up to Philly.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:05 pm

AdmitMePls wrote:I was looking through my old school books and found my ConLaw book from undergrad-- Sullivan and Gunther. Any chance that is the same text used for ConLaw at Penn? My guess is not, but wanted to check in case it would be helpful to lug it up to Philly.

Not sure if any of the sections used that book, but either way, Con Law seems to be one of the textbooks that is updated most frequently (we had 2009 books) so it's probably out of date.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”