Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Veyron

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

PierceFromCT wrote:Any suggestions for applying ED to UPenn? It's a reach with my 170 and GPA of 3.3 (though I have 3 years of great work experience and awesome letters of rec). Does anyone have any advice how to make me stick out in the admissions process?

Write the 5 year plan essay with an emphasis on how you will tie your previous work experience to your Penn Law education and your work as an attorney. Penn is rare among the T-14 in that they actually prefer applicants who already have some idea as to what they would like to do. However, with your numbers it is still a long shot since you would hurt one median and not help the other.

AdmitMePls

Postby AdmitMePls » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Does the school organize meet-ups for different regions/cities before everyone heads to Philly? Or Alumni welcome events in each city?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

AdmitMePls wrote:Does the school organize meet-ups for different regions/cities before everyone heads to Philly? Or Alumni welcome events in each city?

Not that I know of, but you'll feel plenty oriented with the 10 days of orientation stuff once you get in town. You could try organizing a TLS meetup in your city or something, though?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:23 pm

kurla88 wrote:
AdmitMePls wrote:Does the school organize meet-ups for different regions/cities before everyone heads to Philly? Or Alumni welcome events in each city?

Not that I know of, but you'll feel plenty oriented with the 10 days of orientation stuff once you get in town. You could try organizing a TLS meetup in your city or something, though?

Phoenix meetup anyone?

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Philly meet-up?

I just moved here. Anyone else already here?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:59 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:Philly meet-up?

I'll be there on the 7th and 8th looking for housing. I'd be down for a Philly meet-up one of those evenings.

P.S. Am also open to housing recommendations in UC.

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:28 am

Veyron wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:Philly meet-up?

I'll be there on the 7th and 8th looking for housing. I'd be down for a Philly meet-up one of those evenings.

P.S. Am also open to housing recommendations in UC.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99084&start=25

I posted some commentary on my UC housing search toward the bottom of this page.

We should definitely arrange a meet-up when you are here. Anyone else in town to join?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:38 am

The year I was admitted they did recruiting dinners in some cities (I was in DC). It took place before you had to send in deposits though.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks again for taking questions. Do any of you know anyone enrolled in the joint JD/MGA program? I am considering it because I am interested in government work, but I don't want to rule out private sector work, and am afraid employers would view my JD/MGA negatively and consider me a flight risk. Based on your knowledge, does this seem like a valid concern?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Does anyone have any comments on the following two apartment buildings:

The Left Bank

Chestnut Hall

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Veyron wrote:Does anyone have any comments on the following two apartment buildings:

The Left Bank

I visited The Left Bank while I was apartment-hunting and it was very impressive. Very spacious, a great location, and full of Penn students. Pretty expensive though, beyond the allotted amount Penn affords us I believe.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Core wrote:Thanks again for taking questions. Do any of you know anyone enrolled in the joint JD/MGA program? I am considering it because I am interested in government work, but I don't want to rule out private sector work, and am afraid employers would view my JD/MGA negatively and consider me a flight risk. Based on your knowledge, does this seem like a valid concern?

I wouldnt do it. You can get a gov't job w/o the MGA (see extra money and time for very very little gain)

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:14 am

sjj05 wrote:Okay, housing questions.

What is the average commute time/most popular method of getting from your home to school? Walking, bus, biking, the EL? This thread seems to indicate most people live by Rittenhouse or slightly west of it and the Penn Law admin folks said that most students live in CC not UC, but that seems like a total haul. Thoughts?

Also, Penn's housing site says a 1BR average in CC is $1640, which seems crazy high. Is that for real?

Thanks!!!

You can definitely find 1BRs for less, but not necessarily in an elevator building with a doorman. I think you could find a studio for substantially less -- maybe between 800-1000. 1BRs might be around 1000-1300 on the cheaper side. Just check Craigslist.

Most people walk, bike, or take the bus, all of which are very easy to do from Center City. I think the subway is fine, but sometimes people find it a bit sketchy. At night, there's also the free Penn Shuttle which comes approximately every 20 minutes and goes into Center City up to 20th St. and around West Philly/UC.

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 am

Veyron wrote:Does anyone have any comments on the following two apartment buildings:

The Left Bank

Chestnut Hall

So both are in UC, which, if you're particularly sensitive, you might find sketchy. They're probably equidistant to the law school and they both have their pros and cons. LB is easier to get to CC from, but there is virtually nothing immediately nearby -- there's a bike store in the building and like one restaurant; CH has a couple of places across the street and is closer to the main Penn campus as well as the Fresh Grocer. LB is pretty nice and new; CH is old. Even though it's an older building, if I were choosing between the two I would probably pick CH -- it's nice to be close to CC, but it's only like a dollar or two extra cab fare to get to CC from CH, and being close to the UC restaurants/grocery store is super helpful.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm

The Northern California Alumni Club had a summer happy hour event that we were invited to but I'm in DC for the summer so I didn't go. I'm not sure if other clubs do that as well or not though. For apartments I really liked Left Bank when I went!

marija

Postby marija » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:09 pm

So, based on previous experience, which section has the best line-up of profs (or, which profs are the best for each class)?

Sec 1: Civ Pro - Wax, Contracts - Katz, Torts - Feldman/Allen, Property - Balganesh
Sec 2: Civ Pro - Wolff, Contracts - Wilkinson-Ryan, Torts - deLisle, Property - Gordon
Sec 3: Civ Pro - Struve, Contracts - Madison, Torts - Perry/Austin, Property - Parchomovsky

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:13 pm

marija wrote:So, based on previous experience, which section has the best line-up of profs (or, which profs are the best for each class)?

Sec 1: Civ Pro - Wax, Contracts - Katz, Torts - Feldman/Allen, Property - Balganesh
Sec 2: Civ Pro - Wolff, Contracts - Wilkinson-Ryan, Torts - deLisle, Property - Gordon
Sec 3: Civ Pro - Struve, Contracts - Madison, Torts - Perry/Austin, Property - Parchomovsky

This is tough since I didn't have any of these professors for these classes other than Austin for torts (terrible).

I've heard great things about all three civ pro profs but they all approach teaching differently. Civ pro is supposed to be a challenge and it will be with all of these profs.

Contracts is a wash I think, but it's usually not that contentious.

For torts I think I would prefer Feldman or deLisle but Perry is endearing... Austin is crazy and I've heard Allen is ok (for privacy).

Gordon is great, I had her for Church and State, she's pretty conversational and doesn't always get to the point though. I've heard Parch is amazing (for copyright) and I know nothing about Balganesh.

Maybe some rising 2Ls will be able to weigh in :)

stayingclassy

Postby stayingclassy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I had Wax for Civ Pro - she's one of the best teachers I've ever had. I had Perry for Torts as well. Brilliant guy.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Loved Gordon for Church and State and Parchomovsky for Property. Parchomovsky is incredibly nice, and he's a great person to work with if you are interested in going into academia.

Feldman was pretty good for torts, although the hornbook was much more helpful for the final than class discussion. He's a nice guy, and accessible outside of class. He's a foodie, and won the school's Iron Chef competition a few years ago.

I like Wolff a lot. Did a good job teaching the material, and gave us an ungraded midterm that was incredibly helpful for preparing for all my 1L finals. He was actually the Chairman in our Iron Chef competition, and was suitably cheesy.

PM me for insights re Allen if you get her. Had her for Privacy, and my legal writing tudents had her for Torts.

drake

Postby drake » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Last edited by drake on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:31 am

I just got into Penn as a transfer. Can anyone tell me how transfers usually fare at OCI (i want to work in nyc). Also, any other advice from current students on coming in as a transfer would be appreciated.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 am

Congrats! The transfers I knew did well (though that was fall 09); Latham, Ropes Gray, Akin Gump, State Supreme Court Clerkship, off the top of my head.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:48 am

Deldad, thanks, thats great to hear. Also, do you know how Penn students fare with NYC firms at OCI, compared to say, Michigan?

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:54 am

Most Penn students have historically gone to New York; unfortunately, I don't know about their success in Michigan markets, though a couple friends went to Chicago.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:56 am

Oh, sorry, I meant compared to how University of Michigan students place in NY.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”