Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Georgiana

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 pm

underachiever wrote:
Core wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Core wrote:Penn advises us incoming students to buy a printer. Is this really necessary? Is printing widely available on campus?

I would get a printer just for convenience... in the long run it isnt expensive enough to justify not having one.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Im a cheap bastard and never had one...but im pretty sure 95% of 1Ls did

If you live within 2 min of the law school (aka my boyfriend) I suppose you can get by... but if you're home and want to print a case or your syllabus or something its so much easier to just get a printer. Plus think about if you want to print something else (think googlemaps directions, coupons, etc). I don't think $100 over 3 years is a valid cost concern... if it is, I hope you don't plan on going out ever :)

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:11 am

I just got the Penn computer store thing in the mail too. Even though the accompanying letter more or less says you can use whatever machine/OS you feel like, I seem to remember hearing that you need Windows for the LS exams. Is this correct? I have a MacBook, and I'd rather not sully it with bootcamp and Windows if I can help it.

Unbiasedfanboy

Postby Unbiasedfanboy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:20 am

x47point6 wrote:I just got the Penn computer store thing in the mail too. Even though the accompanying letter more or less says you can use whatever machine/OS you feel like, I seem to remember hearing that you need Windows for the LS exams. Is this correct? I have a MacBook, and I'd rather not sully it with bootcamp and Windows if I can help it.

Correct

AdmitMePls

Postby AdmitMePls » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 am

x47point6 wrote:I just got the Penn computer store thing in the mail too. Even though the accompanying letter more or less says you can use whatever machine/OS you feel like, I seem to remember hearing that you need Windows for the LS exams. Is this correct? I have a MacBook, and I'd rather not sully it with bootcamp and Windows if I can help it.

FYI this was recently posted on the Admitted Students site: https://goat.law.upenn.edu/blogs/admitt ... pdate.html

As a fellow Mac user, here is to hoping they get it figured out before December!

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:04 pm

hi guys, I just came back from philadelphia after two days of tiresome apartment searching. I went to all the places people have recommended here and all the good ones are already taken (i started my searching quite late). At the end i settled with a 1 bedroom apartment in the old quaker building. It is about 600 square feet and the price is 1450$ a month. The stuff inside is new as the room has been recently renovated. I hope to see you all in late august!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm

jc1988 wrote:hi guys, I just came back from philadelphia after two days of tiresome apartment searching. I went to all the places people have recommended here and all the good ones are already taken (i started my searching quite late). At the end i settled with a 1 bedroom apartment in the old quaker building. It is about 600 square feet and the price is 1450$ a month. The stuff inside is new as the room has been recently renovated. I hope to see you all in late august!

I've heard good things about Old Quaker. I'm also apartment shopping at the moment (moving in with the boyfriend when I get back for 3L) and it gets old quickly.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Is it too late in the game to find an appartment under 1500 in either Old Quaker or The Left Bank?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Veyron wrote:Is it too late in the game to find an appartment under 1500 in either Old Quaker or The Left Bank?

I might try calling every week or so if you're dead set on those places. You never know when something might open up. Also, check craigslist for subleases/lease takeovers in those buildings.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Please tell me there is cheaper living relatively near the college.... I don't mind taking the train in if the commute is no more than 20-30 minutes.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm

I got an apartment yesterday, literally across the street from the law school.
There are plenty of afforadable apartments still available (even within 20 minutes walking from Penn), but most of the best are gone. Call and visit ASAP.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:24 pm

krj02004 wrote:Please tell me there is cheaper living relatively near the college.... I don't mind taking the train in if the commute is no more than 20-30 minutes.

The person I'm rooming with found a place for much less than that across the river from the law school, and south a bit. I didn't do the search in person, but if you are willing to live outside the huge buildings, it seems that there are still plenty of good deals to be found. Looking on craigslist is not a bad idea if you are looking for some of the less expensive apartments. Good luck!

12(b)(6)

Postby 12(b)(6) » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I asked this in the Penn Class of 2012 thread, but I think there is a better chance of getting a response here.

Anyone know when we hear about journals?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:45 pm

I think I've said this before, but I am completely unwilling to live further away from the law school than I five minute walk. This is part of my problem.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Veyron wrote:I think I've said this before, but I am completely unwilling to live further away from the law school than I five minute walk. This is part of my problem.

We are definitely further out than that by a ways. Good luck in your search.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm

12(b)(6) wrote:I asked this in the Penn Class of 2012 thread, but I think there is a better chance of getting a response here.

Anyone know when we hear about journals?

End of July (I heard on July 24 last year)

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Veyron wrote:Is it too late in the game to find an appartment under 1500 in either Old Quaker or The Left Bank?

LB may have openings, I don't think they are ever really full. OQ is probably not open but you can check their availability online.

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 pm

How do we go about signing up for courses? Is this information available yet?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 pm

x47point6 wrote:How do we go about signing up for courses? Is this information available yet?

If you're an incoming 1L you don't sign up for classes. The registrar assigns you to sections and registers you for you classes first semester. You'll get your schedule online a few days before orientation begins, until then its the waiting game.

If you're a rising 2L, you'll put in requests sometime in July, toward the end usually.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcripts? I haven't received any info on that.

hardboiled

Postby hardboiled » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Though we won't know our sections until just before orientation, is there much overlap in the textbooks used by different professors (as judged by previous years) which would allow us to purchase textbooks in advance (and save piles of money)?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:23 am

mrm2083 wrote:Anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcripts? I haven't received any info on that.

I did at some point in time over the summer. I would just send it now to get it out of the way.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 am

hardboiled wrote:Though we won't know our sections until just before orientation, is there much overlap in the textbooks used by different professors (as judged by previous years) which would allow us to purchase textbooks in advance (and save piles of money)?

Not really. But the announcement about your sections comes out a couple of weeks before class starts, I think, so you still have time to buy online or hit up rising 2Ls. Also, the bookstore lets you return books for a good 3 weeks after class starts, so you should be good. I found buying from 2Ls was a lot cheaper than buying online, just fyi! But you have to be open to a pretty marked up book.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:30 am

hardboiled wrote:Though we won't know our sections until just before orientation, is there much overlap in the textbooks used by different professors (as judged by previous years) which would allow us to purchase textbooks in advance (and save piles of money)?

Last year there really wasn't. I would say remember your needed text books and then buy them at the scrum (people get crazy for cheap books) of a used book sale put on during your orientation.

markymark

Postby markymark » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Penn 2Ls (or shall I say, rising 3Ls), on average, how many OCI interviews does someone get?

10? 15? 20?

notreallyalawyer

Postby notreallyalawyer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Not sure if this was covered already but I am interested in finding out more about your background. Where did you do your undergrad, what did you study, what were LSAT's like etc. Also, would love to hear about any "softs"or other things that helped you gain admission to such a prestigious school. thanks in advance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”