Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
underachiever

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Ill take a stab at this from the 1L, too lazy to study for finals prospective.
Core wrote:Does Penn have any sort of mentor system? I know Chicago has something like this.

The Morris Fellow program is the "official mentor", I guess. I never did anything with nor even met with mine (yes, I am a bad person). On the other hand, my legal writing instructor (a 3L) has been great! Her outlines alone have guided me through several classes. She has answered every law school or law practice related question I, or my writing group, have had. She also had a resume that was so impressive, it gave me something to be in awe over, maybe strive for, if i had that sort of drive. Also every 2L and 3L I have talked to has been great about giving out outlines, study advice, job advice, OCI advice, etc. The students at Penn really are what makes the school great.

Core wrote:Do you find Penn offers a lot of support for those students interested in publishing?

While I do not have as much prospective on this personally, I would say yes. The profs really seem to want to get to know you and I know several 1Ls who have had in-depth conversations about help with writing comments and notes (1 is even working this summer for a prof who he is going to hopefully publish with in the future)

Core wrote:What is your favorite aspect of your experience at Penn thus far (cheesey, I know)?

As a 1L, I love the students, they have been great. If 1L is the hardest my life gets, then I am either dying tomorrow or going to live an awesome life. "The OMG will I get a job aspect" is kind of crushing the fun and jovial nature of "we will all make $$$, so relax attitude" students have had in the past but we are all very positive about it and I believe we, as a class, will be much better off during Fall OCI: (1) b/c the economy and firms have stabilized and better know what they need in terms of hiring & (2) We know not to reach in terms of the firms we bid on and to spread our resumes through smaller markets/ back-home/ and through government and PI work we will enjoy, b/c our 2L summer is very important. But we are all (me at least) pretty pumped to do Fall OCI. (Saying this, I still pray daily I get a job next year/when i graduate)

Core wrote:Less important, but...
I've read that Penn is very supportive of (and boasts a fairly large contingent of) LGBT students - how true have you found this?

I'm not part of Lambda at the law school but I know they have tons of members, who are very active and who put on great events. I am actually in the Federalist society but I'm pretty sure the LGBT friendly nature of Penn even crosses over into clubs like the Federalist Society. I would 100% say that Penn is very LGBT friendly and is proud of it.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:43 pm

underachiever wrote:Ill take a stab at this from the 1L, too lazy to study for finals prospective.

GO STUDY!

Also :cry: to not getting a shout out in your "helpful law students" bit :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Georgiana wrote:
underachiever wrote:Ill take a stab at this from the 1L, too lazy to study for finals prospective.

GO STUDY!

Also :cry: to not getting a shout out in your "helpful law students" bit :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Haha, I'm sorry. I would like to add a shout-out to Georgiana in my above post.
Without Georgiana's assistance I would not have been able to pass Criminal Law (great outline) and I am sure her advice for 2L OCR will turn out to be very helpful. Thank you, lol

absworkoutplan

Postby absworkoutplan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:56 am

Sooo...is anyone in Legal Responses to Inequality or know someone who has taken it? I can't even begin to figure out how I am going to tackle this questions. I have no idea what the guy wants us to really write lol. If anyone at all has any advice on this it would be appreciated.

I was thinking about using the Lochner case (Con Law) as a topic, and using the majority and minority opinion as the perspectives, but I don't know if this would work (or go over well considering I actually support the majority opinion in that now-overturned decision).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 am

absworkoutplan wrote:Sooo...is anyone in Legal Responses to Inequality or know someone who has taken it? I can't even begin to figure out how I am going to tackle this questions. I have no idea what the guy wants us to really write lol. If anyone at all has any advice on this it would be appreciated.

I was thinking about using the Lochner case (Con Law) as a topic, and using the majority and minority opinion as the perspectives, but I don't know if this would work (or go over well considering I actually support the majority opinion in that now-overturned decision).

I had a friend in it who got an A writing about a personal experience in another country (rich political leader v maid type of thing). It seems Lesnick prefers those kinds of stories with concepts of the class interspersed (he'll never know if its true). He will (or would have) talked to you about ideas/drafts. Probably should have gotten the OK from him on a topic.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:35 am

Georgiana,

Sorry if this has already been asked/requested, but can you speak a little about how transfer students are received by other students, and/or how they fared at OCI? I'm currently at a T2 Philly school, and I'm really interested in transferring to Penn. Thanks!

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:28 am

Georgiana wrote:
absworkoutplan wrote:Sooo...is anyone in Legal Responses to Inequality or know someone who has taken it? I can't even begin to figure out how I am going to tackle this questions. I have no idea what the guy wants us to really write lol. If anyone at all has any advice on this it would be appreciated.

I had a friend in it who got an A writing about a personal experience in another country (rich political leader v maid type of thing). It seems Lesnick prefers those kinds of stories with concepts of the class interspersed (he'll never know if its true). He will (or would have) talked to you about ideas/drafts. Probably should have gotten the OK from him on a topic.

I should have taken that class....look at the grade distribution, all he gives are As and A-s...damn it

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:33 am

seespotrun wrote:Georgiana,

Sorry if this has already been asked/requested, but can you speak a little about how transfer students are received by other students, and/or how they fared at OCI? I'm currently at a T2 Philly school, and I'm really interested in transferring to Penn. Thanks!

I personally know a 2L transfer from a Top 100 school who got a Vault 50 job through OCI and a 3L Top 30 transfer who has a Vault 10 job lined up after graduation, via his 2L summer and fall OCI at Penn.

I wouldn't see why they would be looked down on or treated differently. I'm sure they would blend in fine. In fact, I have more respect for them b/c they already showed they are great at doing what is required in law school and didn't just have a high gpa/lsat

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:16 pm

My boyfriend is a transfer so I think I received him pretty well :)

Some transfers are well liked, others are not. Its about personality just like any other social situation. We get annoyed at OCI when spots are held open for them but thats because we're stressed about jobs and will get mad at anything that makes it seem like we are less likely to get one. Overall they fare pretty well but not as well as they would have had their 1L grades been from Penn. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

underachiever wrote:

I personally know a 2L transfer from a Top 100 school who got a Vault 50 job through OCI and a 3L Top 30 transfer who has a Vault 10 job lined up after graduation, via his 2L summer and fall OCI at Penn.

I wouldn't see why they would be looked down on or treated differently. I'm sure they would blend in fine. In fact, I have more respect for them b/c they already showed they are great at doing what is required in law school and didn't just have a high gpa/lsat

That's encouraging to hear. Thanks!

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

Georgiana wrote:

My boyfriend is a transfer so I think I received him pretty well :)

Some transfers are well liked, others are not. Its about personality just like any other social situation. We get annoyed at OCI when spots are held open for them but thats because we're stressed about jobs and will get mad at anything that makes it seem like we are less likely to get one. Overall they fare pretty well but not as well as they would have had their 1L grades been from Penn. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

Thanks, Georgiana!

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Any of you know about the Law and Entrepreneurship Organization?

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I know that lots of students work in unpaid internships in PI or government during their first year summer. Does Penn supply a stipend or a loan for that summer?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:01 pm

violaboy wrote:I know that lots of students work in unpaid internships in PI or government during their first year summer. Does Penn supply a stipend or a loan for that summer?

Yes. There are more specifics but most jobs under those categories qualify for work study $ (i.e. $10 per hour, up to 40hrs a week, for 10 weeks= Up to $4,000 for the summer). Also there are group sponsored grants, and so on....most (if not all) of my friends got some $ for this summer.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Good luck with finals guys.

Core

Postby Core » Mon May 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Any word on how OCI went? I'm a bit nervous about finishing below median and ending up jobless with 6 figure debt lol...
I'm sure I'm the only one ;)

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Core wrote:Any word on how OCI went? I'm a bit nervous about finishing below median and ending up jobless with 6 figure debt lol...
I'm sure I'm the only one ;)

Join the club, lol.We (i.e. the 1Ls) will have a lot more info come May 7th once finals are done & when CP&P release OCR info to us.
If you can wait that long, even with finals in full swing I cant stop thinking about it...

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 am

underachiever wrote:
violaboy wrote:I know that lots of students work in unpaid internships in PI or government during their first year summer. Does Penn supply a stipend or a loan for that summer?

Yes. There are more specifics but most jobs under those categories qualify for work study $ (i.e. $10 per hour, up to 40hrs a week, for 10 weeks= Up to $4,000 for the summer). Also there are group sponsored grants, and so on....most (if not all) of my friends got some $ for this summer.

There are ample opportunities for PI funding on top of work-study funding. Penn has its own student run chapter of the Equal Justice Foundation and also participates in the summer fellowship programs run by Equal Justice Works and Equal Justice America (3 separate organizations despite the confusing names). I think that if you work in PI and are diligent about applying for grants, it's possible to make more money over the summer than most people who work for judges.

Core

Postby Core » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 am

lostmyname wrote:
underachiever wrote:

There are ample opportunities for PI funding on top of work-study funding. Penn has its own student run chapter of the Equal Justice Foundation and also participates in the summer fellowship programs run by Equal Justice Works and Equal Justice America (3 separate organizations despite the confusing names). I think that if you work in PI and are diligent about applying for grants, it's possible to make more money over the summer than most people who work for judges.

Glad to hear it!

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 am

Just thought I'd add this in: the major reason why someone should pick Penn over other similarly ranked schools is for the people. It's really pretty amazing how friendly and helpful everyone is. I think I've gotten about 100 outlines from people here, with minimal prodding. It's pretty much standard operating procedure for 2Ls and 3Ls to immediately email outlines to you as soon you exchange emails. Unsolicited outlines are the greatest outlines. :)

Fedsoc people turned out to be a lot less annoying than I thought they'd be, too. ACS is where it's at. ;)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Who would you guys say are the "big name" profs at the school? Who are the best ones? Any overlap?

Also, thanks for all the help thus far. Happy to be joining you in Philly in the fall.

CCA

Postby CCA » Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Veyron wrote:Who would you guys say are the "big name" profs at the school? Who are the best ones? Any overlap?

Also, thanks for all the help thus far. Happy to be joining you in Philly in the fall.

I don't think any of the professors are that famous, but I liked Wax, Ruger, and Robinson. My least favorite was Klick, but some really like him. For 1L, you only get a choice of profs for the 2 electives in the second semester, otherwise they are assigned to you by section. I have also heard good things about Struve, Adler, and Burbank, but some negatives on Katz.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed May 05, 2010 4:51 pm

I think Roosevelt is most "famous" prof at Penn, because of his Roosevelt-ness.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Anita Allen is relatively famous in the field of privacy law, and just got appointed to Obama's bioethics panel. Enjoyed the material (including her textbook), but not the class.

The corporate law faculty are also huge in that area (Penn profs, like Wachter, Rock, Fisch, and Baker, had several of the most cited corporate and securities articles last year. I like David Skeel a lot, too, and knew him from his book Icarus in the Boardroom before law school).

Lisa Scottaline, an alum and prolific mystery author, adjuncts.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Does Penn assign summer reading for 1L?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”