Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MC Southstar

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:40 pm

CQ: Is wax racist?

Core

Postby Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:22 pm

How did you find the social life at Penn?
How was the workload 1L year?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 pm

MC Southstar wrote:CQ: Is wax racist?

No she just has a unique outlook on racial problems as well as social problems. She's actually a very nice person despite her reputation.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Core wrote:How did you find the social life at Penn?

Its good. I mean being in the city and being in right in-between NYC & DC + the NJ/Del shore in the Late summer/early spring gives you so many things to do. I would say we don't drink at the law school as much as some schools (UVA) but we go out (at least I do) and it really is a generally laid back and fun atmosphere.

Core wrote:How was the workload 1L year?

1st semester was much worse then 2nd semester (maybe just b/c I was new to it all) but It has started to get busier now b/c profs are trying to cover everything before finals at the end of the month. I may be the wrong person to ask, as I rarely read everything, I like outlines + in class discussion more.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 am

underachiever wrote:

Its good. I mean being in the city and being in right in-between NYC & DC + the NJ/Del shore in the Late summer/early spring gives you so many things to do. I would say we don't drink at the law school as much as some schools (UVA) but we go out (at least I do) and it really is a generally laid back and fun atmosphere.

1st semester was much worse then 2nd semester (maybe just b/c I was new to it all) but It has started to get busier now b/c profs are trying to cover everything before finals at the end of the month. I may be the wrong person to ask, as I rarely read everything, I like outlines + in class discussion more.

How long did that take you, and how did that work out for you grade-wise?

Core

Postby Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am

Core wrote:
underachiever wrote:

How long did that take you, and how did that work out for you grade-wise?

Bump.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I'd like to know this too. I'm kind of a minimal effort for maximum returns type of person so I'd like to know how the outlines and stuff worked out for you and how many hours you studied per day.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

At what point does the area around the law school (westward of it) become dangerous? are there any loose borders that define what area is good to stay within when looking for housing in university city?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:31 pm

tintin wrote:At what point does the area around the law school (westward of it) become dangerous? are there any loose borders that define what area is good to stay within when looking for housing in university city?

I personally would not look above 45th-ish or beyond Spring Garden but I never looked for housing in UC. It's definitely a place you should go walk the street before you pick a place. Some streets are fine and the next street could be terrible (and there are always personal boundaries and feelings of safety). Also think about whether you plan to walk/bike/bus to school when picking boundaries.

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Sansom is okay, but I'd really recommend staying south of Walnut. If you're gauging transportation distances, 45th and Sansom is like 15-20 minutes walk (but a really quick ride). I wouldn't even really go as far north as Spring Garden.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 pm

hm, sounds like a very small area in university city that is safe....

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

South of Walnut is generally considered fine and actually has some lively, interesting areas. The area around Clark Park isn't bad at all.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:28 pm

what do yall think of powelton village?

also, is it hard to find a 3 or 4 bedroom place in university city? is it common for that many law students to be living together? thanks!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Any current Penn students interested in penning a new expanded profile on the school for TLS? PM me if so.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Any current Penn students interested in penning a new expanded profile on the school for TLS? PM me if so.

Bumping this in the hope of getting an interested Penn student's attention. The current TLS profile of Penn is pathetic.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Sent in my deposit today. Does anyone know anything about the Old Quaker Building. Is that area safe?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Sent in my deposit today. Does anyone know anything about the Old Quaker Building. Is that area safe?

Congrats on choosing Penn!

I thought about living there! Very nice luxurious apartments and v close to school. I decided to live closer to Center City but I'm pretty sure the Old Quaker area is safe - since it's right by school, that's covered by Penn and Drexel's private security.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to be at Penn next year as I completely fell in love with the school when I visited. Have you seen the Quaker Building in person? I didn't know about it when I visited but it looks really nice in the pictures and cheaper than Domus and Left Bank. Were in CC are you renting (PM me if you want).

blondebruin

Postby blondebruin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 am

I just committed to Penn today and can't wait to go! I am now just starting to contemplate the issue of housing and appreciate everything that current Penn Law people have already contributed, it's hugely helpful! That said, I have a few questions still (actually this has turned into a long litany of questions):

How common is it to live with roommates? Is it isolating to live alone somewhere farther from campus? If any of you live alone and/or in Center City, is it hard to find people who live near you that are relatively the same age (i.e. grad students), or does this not matter to your day-to-day experience? (I'm having mild anxiety since at my UG, 99% of people live within a 6-7 block radius of campus and with roommates--I have 7--so the prospect of living alone and relatively off campus is a bit daunting).

Also, is there a tendency for law students to go out socially to the same places (i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants?), or is it more diffuse?

One more: is there a lot of association between Penn law students and students at the other Penn grad schools?

Thanks so much!

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Probably going to send in my deposit in soon, but will be deferring a year.

mrm2083 wrote:Sent in my deposit today. Does anyone know anything about the Old Quaker Building. Is that area safe?

During ASW, I visited that building along with The Courts. The Courts seemed a little sketch to me, but do-able. The Old Quaker Building was very nice and had great amenities, just not in Center City. But that said, it took me five minutes to walk there and that makes it very attractive. I may move there.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Why do so many people chose to live in CC over UC? Do you guys not like being on campus? Are the prices lower? Do more law students live in CC or UC? I'm 22 so I actually want to keep as much "college" feel as possible, in that case would you guys recommend UC or CC?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Why do so many people chose to live in CC over UC?

More to do, nicer, deemed "safer" at night, people go out in CC not UC
mrm2083 wrote:Do you guys not like being on campus?

"On campus" for grad students is Sansom which sucks. Its a depressing place where the elevators don't work. There are a few nice places to live that feel kind of on campus, but they aren't really cheap (Radian, Domus)
mrm2083 wrote:Are the prices lower?

No
mrm2083 wrote:Do more law students live in CC or UC?

CC
mrm2083 wrote:I'm 22 so I actually want to keep as much "college" feel as possible, in that case would you guys recommend UC or CC?

If you want college feel live at the Radian. Its furnished so you don't have to buy anything and the majority of people living there will be undergrads.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:41 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Why do so many people chose to live in CC over UC? Do you guys not like being on campus? Are the prices lower? Do more law students live in CC or UC? I'm 22 so I actually want to keep as much "college" feel as possible, in that case would you guys recommend UC or CC?

There's actually more students in CC than UC, so I feel like it has more of a "college" feel just in terms of the student community. I only know law students, and they all live around me, so it's been very nice and easy to hang out etc due to living in my CC building. If you really want to get to know undergrads/grad students, I'm not sure what the best option would be.

Prices are generally lower in UC, but the buildings aren't as nice, you don't get the security of doormen, too many drunk undergrads etc.

blondebruin wrote:How common is it to live with roommates? Is it isolating to live alone somewhere farther from campus? If any of you live alone and/or in Center City, is it hard to find people who live near you that are relatively the same age (i.e. grad students), or does this not matter to your day-to-day experience? (I'm having mild anxiety since at my UG, 99% of people live within a 6-7 block radius of campus and with roommates--I have 7--so the prospect of living alone and relatively off campus is a bit daunting).

Also, is there a tendency for law students to go out socially to the same places (i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants?), or is it more diffuse?

One more: is there a lot of association between Penn law students and students at the other Penn grad schools?

Thanks so much!

I'm really glad I chose to live closer to campus, but I don't really like to go all the way across town to hang out with people. If you don't mind a bit of a commute for social activities, it's certainly possible to have a good community of friends while living farther away (and probably spending less on rent!)

A lot of people have roommates - I think living with one other 1L is most common just b/c it's a bit harder to find larger apartments and coordinate with more people.

I think most people socialize within the law school community - going to the same bars etc, and this is very easy to do. If you make the extra effort you can certainly get to know other grad students. If you come to campus early, there's a lot of grad student orientation activities and such where you can get to know other grad students, and the grad student organization puts on social events throughout the year. The way I've seen this play out is that law students will go together to these events and really still hang out with each other... but it's possible to get to know the other grads if you make the effort.
Last edited by kurla88 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Why do so many people chose to live in CC over UC? Do you guys not like being on campus? Are the prices lower? Do more law students live in CC or UC? I'm 22 so I actually want to keep as much "college" feel as possible, in that case would you guys recommend UC or CC?

I was 22 when law school started. I live in UC now (in Sansom grad dorms) and im moving to CC (2400 Chestnut) next year. Penn grad dorms DO NOT have a "college feel". the UG/ "college feel" is kept father West and also across Walnut where the Freshman dorms are. I would say that living in UC and spending time at college bars in UC and some 20 something bars in CC is the prefect mix.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm

underachiever wrote:

I was 22 when law school started. I live in UC now (in Sansom grad dorms) and im moving to CC (2400 Chestnut) next year. Penn grad dorms DO NOT have a "college feel". the UG/ "college feel" is kept father West and also across Walnut where the Freshman dorms are. I would say that living in UC and spending time at college bars in UC and some 20 something bars in CC is the prefect mix.

Yeah, after visiting, I'll try to live in either 2400 Chestnut or Locust on the Park once I finally go. UC is cheaper, but just more rundown. I'll be 26 when I matriculate, so I'm over the college feel.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”