Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LSstudent

New

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby LSstudent » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 am

Socratease wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
Socratease wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
Socratease wrote:Most likely will be headed to Penn next fall! Will be moving with my SO. It will be our first time living in Philly and my first time living in a major city. Thoughts on living in the Art Museum area as a 1L?

It's not a horrible area although I would encourage you to go a bit south. I think the best places are between 29th and 19th and JFK and Walnut.

Thanks! We've got a budget of 1500/mo and are looking for a 1br. Do you think it'd be possible to find something like this in the area you mentioned? We were thinking we might get more bang for our buck outside of Rittenhouse/Center City, although we don't know Philly well and this might be a faulty assumption.

That would have been possible when I was looking for apartments, but it might be a little low now for a 1 bed. Personally I think I would try to look further south (down to South st.) in that same area before going North up to the art museum area though.

I'll definitely check out that area, thanks. I'm curious, is there any one thing driving your preference (e.g. safety/nightlife/parks etc.)?

There are students who live in the Art Museum/Fairmount neighborhoods and get to school by bus/trolley. It is a very safe area, with much less students and more young professionals than the usual Rittenhouse/University City options. Living in Art Museum/Fairmount will be made much easier starting next year given the new SEPTA Route 49 bus.

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 am

Also on transit options: Uber Express Pool is generally not much more expensive (if any) than SEPTA with 1 transfer. And much more convenient. You will have more options and save on rent.

I lived in the burbs even during law school (I was already living there), and it was not really any less convenient but I paid less on my mortgage than some of my friend's rents. We have some really cool suburbs within 30 minutes from the school.

Auxilio

Silver

Postby Auxilio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:19 pm

I'll clarify what I said above: I think if you can justify it Centre City/Graduate Hospital is the best choice to live, but that's not to say there are really "wrong" places to live. It's a pretty good wider area, even including the suburbs as r6 mentioned if you don't mind a bit longer commute. I personally was glad I didn't choose to live west of the school, but I think I would have been happy in a ton of places.

sacagawea

New

Postby sacagawea » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm

da.goat wrote:(also wondering about Gordon for property)

Gordon’s a fox

sacagawea

New

Postby sacagawea » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Bbbrian wrote:I have a random question that I know there isn't a perfect answer for, but I was wondering about how generous the law school is with handing out need-based grants? I know you have to complete a FAFSA and Need Access application, but assuming my FAFSA gives me a 0 EFC and Need Access form is filled out by a single mother, on disability, with no other income and little savings, how much NEED BASED fin aid could someone expect?

I'm assuming the higher need based grants for the most in-need students is around 15k/year, but before I apply ED with the understanding that I won't receive any merit based scholarship, I'm trying to get the best measure of the likelihood that I could get offered some type of need based grant. Even 5k a year would be helpful. Any personal experience with need-based aid from Penn Law would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i got $30k need-based, yr 1, after an ED acceptance. seems unusually high. my personal essay might have done some of the work earning that ; ) milk it boi

Splitting_Headache

New

Postby Splitting_Headache » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi Penn students,

Would anyone mind taking a few questions from a 0L who just submitted their application?

1. What's the social life like? Do students get together for parties or events frequently in big groups, or more with small groups of friends? Is there anything like UVA's feb club, where they have parties every day for a month? Are there many law school sponsored events?

2. If you took out huge loans to attend, do you regret it? Do you wish you went to a lower ranked school on a full ride?

3. How many would you say get 1L SA positions who are not minorities?

4. What is the typical study schedule for a 1L? How stressed would you say the student body is generally?

Cheers!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?