Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
narwhalsrfun
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby narwhalsrfun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi guys, this thread is great. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a federal clerkship at Penn or how many SCOTUS clerks Penn has sent? I love Penn because of a huge Philly connection and work experience there but am worried that it seems to send fewer clerks than the other CCN and MVP schools I've been admitted to.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 pm

narwhalsrfun wrote:Hi guys, this thread is great. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a federal clerkship at Penn or how many SCOTUS clerks Penn has sent? I love Penn because of a huge Philly connection and work experience there but am worried that it seems to send fewer clerks than the other CCN and MVP schools I've been admitted to.


a little bit of it is self-selection since a lot of folks just go straight into the private sector but it's still in the same competitive tier as the other schools

picking the "right" school is like 2% of the battle in getting a fed clerkship; you're going to need to do a lot of the work once you actually, you know, go to school

also if you're caring about SCOTUS clerks in making a school choice then bully for you but that probably shouldn't be on your radar; if you're aiming for a SCOTUS clerkship then you might want to aim higher

Penn sent a guy like a couple years ago to SCOTUS tho so yay good for us

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Redynsje wrote:Sure thing. I am 7 years out of undergrad. I started a family first (coming into 1L with three small kids) and now I'm diving into my career. I am very committed to returning to MN after school and have a tentative plan of focusing on business or tax law.


shit my bad dude I totally forgot you responded to this; I'll write a bit more in response to you later

notgreat
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby notgreat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Like Pennbull said we sent a couple of bros to SCOTUS in the last few years. Your chances of a SCOTUS clerkship are really slim no matter where you go, so picking a school based on that factor probably is a mistake. But, like PB said, if you really do care you probably should aim higher. My guess is that you would have to be at the very top of your class here (like top 1-2%?), which is never something you can count on or even have confidence in.

But we do pretty well with clerkships in general. I think we have sent from around 8-12% to A3 clerkships over the last few years. And my guess is that at least half the class has no interest in clerking. Plus, we routinely send people to the Delaware Chancery and Delaware Supreme Court, which are both legit.

You should come here, regardless, because other than the weather, it is an awesome school and a fun town. And the weather sucks everywhere other than S and B anyway.

Edit: We also have a third bro that is a Bristow Fellow, which is a just a notch below a SCOTUS clerkship in my understanding. And IIRC can be a feeder to SCOTUS clerkships.

Lions1913
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Lions1913 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by Lions1913 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 13046
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby ymmv » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Lions1913 wrote:The Wharton certificate programs seem great. Can someone speak to the difficulty of the classes, especially for those without a business background?


Pretty trivial until the very last segment of the course. Which is also probably the only part of the course you'll have to do any studying for.

Penn16
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Penn16 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 pm

ymmv wrote:
Lions1913 wrote:The Wharton certificate programs seem great. Can someone speak to the difficulty of the classes, especially for those without a business background?


Pretty trivial until the very last segment of the course. Which is also probably the only part of the course you'll have to do any studying for.


ymmv's response refers to the Wharton cert in management, which as he said, is pretty basic. The end part of the course is accounting and slightly more technical, which is where people may have more trouble, but it's not worth worrying much. One thing to be aware of, though, is that the class counts as two of the 4 you're allowed to take outside the law school that still count towards your JD. So if you wanted to max out taking 4 classes outside the law school, don't do the mgmt. cert as it'll limit you to only 2 more classes. Otherwise, it's by far the easiest way to get something legit-sounding from Wharton on your resume.

There is also a Wharton cert in business econ and public policy which takes up all 4 courses outside the law school that still count towards your JD. I'm not doing it so I can't speak to the quality of the classes offered, but from what I understand it's difficult because you don't get that much choice for what you take. Basically, Wharton tells the law school what classes have open seats after the MBAs all register and which ones among those they're willing to count for the cert, and then you get to choose among those. Ive also heard that they tend to be fairly quantitative classes, so if you're not a math person, that may not be the right path, but I'm not entirely sure how true that is.

User avatar
DiniMae
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby DiniMae » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for taking questions. Would anyone soeak to the likelihood of being accepted into the 3 year JD/MBA as a 1L? I know it's a small cohort and I assume that most interested people apply as a 0L. Is it safe to assume that for the 3 or 4 year program, it helps already being at Penn Law eventhough you won't have grades yet (deadline is Oct)?

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 13046
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby ymmv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 am

DiniMae wrote:Thanks for taking questions. Would anyone soeak to the likelihood of being accepted into the 3 year JD/MBA as a 1L? I know it's a small cohort and I assume that most interested people apply as a 0L. Is it safe to assume that for the 3 or 4 year program, it helps already being at Penn Law eventhough you won't have grades yet (deadline is Oct)?


IDK if there's any data available on this, but anecdotally it might actually be easier to get into the MBA if you're already a 1L.

Why do you want both degrees though? That's an incredible amount of extra money without any clear benefit. If you're interested in finance or ibanking or whatever, why not just skip the JD and grab the MBA?

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby samoby » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 pm

ymmv wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Thanks for taking questions. Would anyone soeak to the likelihood of being accepted into the 3 year JD/MBA as a 1L? I know it's a small cohort and I assume that most interested people apply as a 0L. Is it safe to assume that for the 3 or 4 year program, it helps already being at Penn Law eventhough you won't have grades yet (deadline is Oct)?


IDK if there's any data available on this, but anecdotally it might actually be easier to get into the MBA if you're already a 1L.

Why do you want both degrees though? That's an incredible amount of extra money without any clear benefit. If you're interested in finance or ibanking or whatever, why not just skip the JD and grab the MBA?



Yeah, I don't know anything about how much easier it might be. At an info session, they definitely pushed work experience. I know of 2 (for sure) that got in from the 1L class this year, but I'm not sure how many applied. There may be more.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 am

Roughly what percentage of the class do you think could land NYC biglaw? I know the ABA stats, just wondering how far down in the class one can go without being too worried

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:40 am

Also how common is it for people to do consulting/non legal stuff straight out of school

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:42 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 am

schmelling wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Roughly what percentage of the class do you think could land NYC biglaw? I know the ABA stats, just wondering how far down in the class one can go without being too worried


can someone link these ABA stats too? sorry to hijack, just also curious about this.


https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/30 ... tisticspdf

BL+FC
Penn: 59.8 + 9.3 = 69.1%

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 am

schmelling wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
schmelling wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Roughly what percentage of the class do you think could land NYC biglaw? I know the ABA stats, just wondering how far down in the class one can go without being too worried


can someone link these ABA stats too? sorry to hijack, just also curious about this.


https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/30 ... tisticspdf

BL+FC
Penn: 59.8 + 9.3 = 69.1%


thanks, mack.


https://www.law.upenn.edu/careers/emplo ... istics.php

this is good too, mostly same data as ABA but includes median salaries

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:09 am

Bump

Anyone have penns oci success data

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:14 am

Also recommendations for highrises with 1brs in the 1500-2k range (will be splitting rent)

do most 1Ls live in university city area?

Worth bringing my car?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:34 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Also recommendations for highrises with 1brs in the 1500-2k range (will be splitting rent)

do most 1Ls live in university city area?

Worth bringing my car?


I'd leave the car home personally. Yeah I'd say the majority are in university city, but not by a wide margin, center city is quite popular too. If you want a highrise you're looking at center city. I'm not the expert on highrises, but check out 2400 chestnut, and Evo.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:05 am

Anyone know how successful penn is with Chicago and TX markets? According to penns website only about 2% of students end up in both of those markets lol.

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby No13baby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Anyone know how successful penn is with Chicago and TX markets? According to penns website only about 2% of students end up in both of those markets lol.


Penn does well in TX. Everyone I know in my class (3L) who wanted TX got it, including one who had never been there before. I think the low number is due to self-selection, not lack of employability.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Yeah I figured it was self selection for the most part

User avatar
Trig
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Trig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:01 am

Does anyone have any outlines, no matter how old, for Abrams Law and Econ course?

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 am

anyone who knows a lot about housing pls pm me

User avatar
Flokkness
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Flokkness » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:anyone who knows a lot about housing pls pm me

Would like to piggyback on this as well.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests