Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
B.B. Homemaker

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am

Katz you won't learn anything from, but teaching yourself contracts or crim isn't really a chore. Preparing for cold calls isn't pointless but is pretty close to it.

Burbs is brilliant and tries to seem tough, but he's far from it. Prepare for each and every class, though, as he takes lack of preparation pretty seriously.

DeLisle is hilarious, and his exams are pretty standard.

Morse is fucking awesome, but his exam is a black box so you can either figure out exactly how he thinks or just take the exam and not worry about it. He and Katz use some of the same questions yet have different answers, so it really is an issue of figuring out the "Morse code."

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Opinions on Conflict of Laws with Roosevelt? Like him but heard this class is a big time sink.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:20 pm

westphillybandr wrote:Opinions on Conflict of Laws with Roosevelt? Like him but heard this class is a big time sink.

The class isn't really a time sink because he has a supplement he wrote himself that easily summarizes a bunch of points, but holy shit the exam was tough as balls and I spent all 24 hours on it (it's a take home).

That said I enjoyed being in the class because he's cool and I got the one New York MC question right on the bar exam because of it

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Robinson for Crim is such a weird class. It's a closed book exam, but the class is run in a very undergraddy type way. A few cold calls, but the majority of the class is spent with pre-scheduled discussions on policy questions (two people prepare/argue pro-death penalty, two people prepare/argue against it, and all of the materials used for preparation are provided), these weird mini-assignments where you read a hypothetical and he cold calls people for what crimes they committed (and an outline is usually passed around in the first week that has all of the answers), and him talking at you about his theories.

Then for the exam you basically memorize this ten page handout that isn't very hard at all and answer a few questions on it; sometimes he'll re-ask a hypothetical directly from class. I think he is pretty strict about his word limit.

Anyways, his class was the reason I started drinking coffee. I've never had coffee before in my life until I started getting free black coffee from the Grad Student Center just to stay awake for that shit. We'd be talking about stuff like triple homicides but his demeanor is so spacey that I just couldn't handle it.

Oh yeah no laptops.

PSL

Postby PSL » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 am

Anyone have experience living in Sansom Place as a 1l? I heard it wasn't amazing but I signed up for it out of convenience. I just got a list of floor mates and about 90% of the names seem to be ethnic/asian. Did Penn really group all of the asians together because we obviously can only befriend people of the same race? Or is there a more obvious explanation such as most international students may do graduate housing because they didn't have the opportunity to go apartment hunting in person. There are a lot of engineering students so it might just be representative of the individual graduate school itself but even for people in the law school about 90% if not more were asian. I feel slighted but I may be overreacting? Any insights?!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:43 pm

PSL wrote:Anyone have experience living in Sansom Place as a 1l? I heard it wasn't amazing but I signed up for it out of convenience. I just got a list of floor mates and about 90% of the names seem to be ethnic/asian. Did Penn really group all of the asians together because we obviously can only befriend people of the same race? Or is there a more obvious explanation such as most international students may do graduate housing because they didn't have the opportunity to go apartment hunting in person. There are a lot of engineering students so it might just be representative of the individual graduate school itself but even for people in the law school about 90% if not more were asian. I feel slighted but I may be overreacting? Any insights?!

because 90% of the people who live there are international students who can't get the appropriate credit checks/references for regular apartment searches so they just take Penn housing

also it's kind of a dump and definitely not worth the price

wildcatatpenn

Postby wildcatatpenn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 am

Opinions on Trial Ad with:
Catherine C Henry,
Gene E K Pratter,
Gina Maisto Smith,
Thomas R Perricone
?

I ended up getting into this off the waitlist, and can't remember what the course evaluations said about it. Pass/Fail, but is it a disproportionate amount of work? Worthwhile experience, or annoying bullshit? tyty

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 am

I have heard it is a very worthwhile class if you want to be a litigator and it's not super annoying to fit in your scjedile

Twelve64

Postby Twelve64 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

When will barristers ball be? Trying to plan a trip in October but don't want to miss it.

wildcatatpenn

Postby wildcatatpenn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 pm

would it be bad to miss the first week of class? (2L) Like, prof give your spot away to someone if the class is full?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 am

wildcatatpenn wrote:would it be bad to miss the first week of class? (2L) Like, prof give your spot away to someone if the class is full?

That would not happen.

I missed the first two weeks of fall semester 2L and 3L and it was whatever

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 am

PennBull wrote:
wildcatatpenn wrote:would it be bad to miss the first week of class? (2L) Like, prof give your spot away to someone if the class is full?

That would not happen.

Professors keep sending emails about long reading assignments for next week and I'm just like LOLRITE, as if.

wildcatatpenn

Postby wildcatatpenn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

PennBull wrote:

That would not happen.

Thanks brother

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 am

wildcatatpenn wrote:Opinions on Trial Ad with:
Catherine C Henry,
Gene E K Pratter,
Gina Maisto Smith,
Thomas R Perricone
?

I ended up getting into this off the waitlist, and can't remember what the course evaluations said about it. Pass/Fail, but is it a disproportionate amount of work? Worthwhile experience, or annoying bullshit? tyty

Honestly, it depends on which instructors you have when the class splits into two sections, and the class is run differently each year. If you get the judge, it's pretty top-notch. The problem is that all of these are practicing attorneys, and by mid-year they tend to get extremely busy which causes the class to suffer severely. There were a number of weeks where the class was not even really worth going to, but you can't even skip because it is too small.

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:35 pm

ymmv wrote:
PennBull wrote:

That would not happen.

Professors keep sending emails about long reading assignments for next week and I'm just like LOLRITE, as if.

It's so lulzy.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:29 pm

B.B. Homemaker wrote:
ymmv wrote:
PennBull wrote:

That would not happen.

It's so lulzy.

I mean I guess I should look into getting casebooks at some point but whatever. Maybe I'll go full PennBull this year and just refuse to read anything but former outlines. YOLSO.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Does anybody have insight into crim pro with bibas?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:27 pm

yeah I did not buy any casebooks for the entirety of 2L and 3L. I laud myself for how much money I saved but kick myself for the bullshit I wasted it on

notgreat

Postby notgreat » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

PennBull wrote:yeah I did not buy any casebooks for the entirety of 2L and 3L. I laud myself for how much money I saved but kick myself for the bullshit I wasted it on

Did you just use old outlines? I'd consider giving that a try.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Yeah I took classes that either required no textbook or were classes that had tons of old outlines (like corporations or evidence). I bought a few supplements but even then many of those I'd resell or return them to Amazon in the 30 day window

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 pm

For people who start every welcome back conversation by asking how many offers everyone has and where: could we maybe just talk about something more socially pleasant, like the weather or Gaza or Ebola or something? :?

#PassiveAggressivePSA

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm

ymmv wrote:For people who start every welcome back conversation by asking how many offers everyone has and where: could we maybe just talk about something more socially pleasant, like the weather or Gaza or Ebola or something? :?

#PassiveAggressivePSA

So what are you looking at offers-wise?

Also lol no one has done that with me yet. I haven't seen people in a while, which sounds like something I'm okay with.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Yeah I remember September being a special sort of awful

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:08 pm

PennBull wrote:Yeah I remember September being a special sort of awful

Can't wait.

notgreat

Postby notgreat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

Any thoughts on Fed Income Tax w/ Shuldiner re: final exam, grade distribution, class participation and workload?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”