Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MyNameIsFlynn!

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Skeel is visiting at H next year to teach Corps - any thoughts on whether to take him? Thanks guys.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:48 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Skeel is visiting at H next year to teach Corps - any thoughts on whether to take him? Thanks guys.

Yes.

Take him.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm

PennBull wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Skeel is visiting at H next year to teach Corps - any thoughts on whether to take him? Thanks guys.

Yes.

Take him.

Seconded. He's my favorite professor here.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 pm

bhanson10 wrote:As the time gets closer to moving to Philly, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a powerlifting friendly gym around penn? I am looking for a gym with a deadlifting platform and at least a couple power racks/squat racks. Acceptance of chalk would also be appreciated. Would any of the Penn rec centers fit the bill? TYIA! :D

Penn's main gym at the Pottruck Center will be fine--just try to go during non-peak hours (i.e. not 4-6 PM). That may actually be kind of hard to do, since your class schedule during 1L is determined for you (you get to pick 2 electives your spring semester, but all the classes from which to choose happen at the same time). I go in the mornings, and rarely have I had to wait for equipment. There are 2 DL platforms and 3 squat/power racks. Chalk is fine as long as you clean it up afterwards.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:19 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Yes.

Take him.

Great - just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the (impressively quick) responses.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:57 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Yes.

Take him.

Great - just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the (impressively quick) responses.

Just so you have balanced input, I was not a big fan of Corporations with Skeel, but I'll never know if a different professor would have resulted in my enjoying the class more or if its just the topic. He was perfectly nice, but not very engaging and always struck me as nervous.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Does anyone play tennis? Are there places to go on/around campus?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Does anyone play tennis? Are there places to go on/around campus?

I'm not in it but the tennis club of the law school is really active. When you're here you can easily find the contact people you need for it at orientation

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:38 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Does anyone play tennis? Are there places to go on/around campus?

You can play indoor at Levy (which costs a $5/per player), though you generally need to make a reservation to play there. There are outdoor courts, called Hamlin, near to Levy. The outdoor courts are very nice, and I think you can get a court just by walking over to Levy.

Also, there are 2 courts that are about 4 blocks from the Law school, at 34th and Lancaster (on Drexel's campus near their frat houses on 34th) that are pretty nice. They are about equidistant from law school as Levy/Hamlin and don't require reservations.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 am

run26.2 wrote:

You can play indoor at Levy (which costs a $5/per player), though you generally need to make a reservation to play there. There are outdoor courts, called Hamlin, near to Levy. The outdoor courts are very nice, and I think you can get a court just by walking over to Levy.

Also, there are 2 courts that are about 4 blocks from the Law school, at 34th and Lancaster (on Drexel's campus near their frat houses on 34th) that are pretty nice. They are about equidistant from law school as Levy/Hamlin and don't require reservations.

Thanks for the info!

DCNTUA

Postby DCNTUA » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have updated info on selection for the Supreme Court Clinic? It says that they take twelve students a year based on grades and writing, but I'm hoping to get an idea of how competitive it is.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

I have some insight into the process. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

DCNTUA

Postby DCNTUA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Hello again,

Another question. I recently heard that only about 10-15% of the class at Chicago is below median, and I have heard similar statements about grade distribution at other schools. Does anyone know what it looks like at Penn?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 pm

DCNTUA wrote:Hello again,

Another question. I recently heard that only about 10-15% of the class at Chicago is below median, and I have heard similar statements about grade distribution at other schools. Does anyone know what it looks like at Penn?

I don't think the word "median" means what you think it means.

DCNTUA

Postby DCNTUA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

I don't think the word "median" means what you think it means.

:|

I don't think you understand statistics.

But are there any Penn students who have an idea about this?
Last edited by DCNTUA on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Hard to say. Penn treats GPA and class rank like state secrets, but judging based on 1L core class grade distributions last year, I would guess - and this is only a wild estimation - that closer to 20-25% are below median. That said, spring electives do not follow the same curve, so it's hard to call that even informed speculation.

DCNTUA

Postby DCNTUA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:09 pm

ymmv wrote:

Hard to say. Penn treats GPA and class rank like state secrets, but judging based on 1L core class grade distributions last year, I would guess - and this is only a wild estimation - that closer to 20-25% are below median. That said, spring electives do not follow the same curve, so it's hard to call that even informed speculation.

Cool, thanks. Not that it's really relevant to anything, I was just curious.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:22 pm

yeah I will say a school's curve really, really doesn't matter with employment unless you're really attacking the margins (read: applying to slightly unusual jobs)

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Does anyone know where to find the OCI pie charts? I'm kinda stupid from finals at the moment, but figuring out where CP&P decided to bury things on their site is a chore on the best of days.

POTUS2044

Postby POTUS2044 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:30 pm

B.B. Homemaker wrote:Does anyone know where to find the OCI pie charts? I'm kinda stupid from finals at the moment, but figuring out where CP&P decided to bury things on their site is a chore on the best of days.

they don't (and refuse to) share them until after finals. even though bids are due for some of us this week... However, the OCI 2011 charts are buried on some outdated version of Penn's website I stumbled upon, along with its list of 2012 OCI and Regional interview firms.

If you'd like those documents feel free to send me your email and I'll email em to you

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Wait, cpp has bids due for 1Ls this week? What? They weren't due for us until July.

POTUS2044

Postby POTUS2044 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

PennBull wrote:Wait, cpp has bids due for 1Ls this week? What? They weren't due for us until July.

Patent

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:
PennBull wrote:Wait, cpp has bids due for 1Ls this week? What? They weren't due for us until July.

Patent

The OCI charts won't be very useful for that. Better to talk to an upperclassman who did it last year. You can't really take the grades that seriously for OCI itself in a lot of cases and the bid information is useless to you.

I have the charts for 2011 and 2012 though if any 1Ls want to PM me for them.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 am

Can someone give me a quick synopsis of how the Penn OCI works? Namely, I am interested in the reach of the OCI, as a prospective student. I'm wondering if they have PI groups there and how the Boston legal markets are represented. I know Penn said there is a separate "PI OCI" but other than that, I'm clueless.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 am

gobosox wrote:Can someone give me a quick synopsis of how the Penn OCI works? Namely, I am interested in the reach of the OCI, as a prospective student. I'm wondering if they have PI groups there and how the Boston legal markets are represented. I know Penn said there is a separate "PI OCI" but other than that, I'm clueless.

OCI is for law firm jobs and a few government jobs. Public interest employment is an entirely different path and we have a more diverse array of resources for that (including, yes, a PI OCI but I wouldn't count on that).

Boston is decently represented. All of the major Boston firms come. I had a CB to Ropes & Gray (with no Boston ties like, at all).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”