Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
POTUS2044

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby POTUS2044 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Where did you guys get your suits? Trying to get something decent ready for Dec/Jan interviews. Tried SuitSupply but their selection here was pretty shitty, told me almost everything was only available at their NY store :?

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:Where did you guys get your suits? Trying to get something decent ready for Dec/Jan interviews. Tried SuitSupply but their selection here was pretty shitty, told me almost everything was only available at their NY store :?

I think Brooks Brothers will have a semi-annual sale pretty soon. But I just used a 2-for-1 Men's Wearhouse suit. Didn't matter.

Whatever you choose, definitely try to get more than 1 for when OCI season rolls around.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:Where did you guys get your suits? Trying to get something decent ready for Dec/Jan interviews. Tried SuitSupply but their selection here was pretty shitty, told me almost everything was only available at their NY store :?

SuitSupply is the credited response still.

Try on suits in their 4 different fits (Napoli is probably the best, in my opinion), and then just order the appropriate color online

POTUS2044

Postby POTUS2044 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:25 pm

PennBull wrote:

Try on suits in their 4 different fits (Napoli is probably the best, in my opinion), and then just order the appropriate color online

Hmm well this seems right: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/si ... %2520Lapel

Anything wrong with this suit before I pull the trigger? I liked the way it looked in the store but is the ticket pocket bad?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Hmm well this seems right: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/si ... %2520Lapel

Anything wrong with this suit before I pull the trigger? I liked the way it looked in the store but is the ticket pocket bad?

It's fine. People overthink this stuff too much. Just don't get it tailored way too slim like most people who buy from Suit Supply do. 700 bucks is honestly overkill, but it's your money.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Naw man don't have a ticket pocket. And I wouldn't venture outside of their 500 dollar range.

Check out the suits thread in the legal employment thread. Lots of good advice there.

And yeah it's easy to overthink but if you're buying something new might as well get it right

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 pm

sopranorleone wrote:

I think Brooks Brothers will have a semi-annual sale pretty soon. But I just used a 2-for-1 Men's Wearhouse suit. Didn't matter.

Whatever you choose, definitely try to get more than 1 for when OCI season rolls around.

Jos A Bank has been having good deals in constant succession for the past month or so, things like "buy 1 suit get 2 free + a coat." Their selection isn't the greatest in the world, but at the prices they've been posting it's it not hard to find something decent and spend some of the savings on expert tailoring. Just stick with the slimmer styles, because overall JAB tends toward the oversized and/or excessively (90s) conservative. Also beware linebacker pads.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 pm

JAB's whole business model is the perpetual sale so there's nothing to get all excited about there. And their quality is super shitty. They're ok if you need a suit cheap in a pinch tho

If someone has time to get a suit I wouldn't go JAB

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 pm

PennBull wrote:JAB's whole business model is the perpetual sale so there's nothing to get all excited about there. And their quality is super shitty. They're ok if you need a suit cheap in a pinch tho

Their quality is totally fine at signature and signature gold. It's certainly just as good as suitsupply.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Nelson wrote:
PennBull wrote:JAB's whole business model is the perpetual sale so there's nothing to get all excited about there. And their quality is super shitty. They're ok if you need a suit cheap in a pinch tho

Their quality is totally fine at signature and signature gold. It's certainly just as good as suitsupply.

It's certainly not, HTH. The quality of the fabrics, the canvassing, and attention to detail are very far apart when comparing SS to JAB. JAB suits fit like cardboard. Hickey Freeman MTM >> J. Crew = Brooks Brothers >> SuitSupply >>>>> Jos A. Bank

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am

Nelson wrote:

I mean it's all relative to the price.

I have a Sig Gold that I got for $300 and that's about how much they're worth. SuitSupply is really impressive with the quality you get for what you pay. Way, way better fabric, structure, and canvassing (plus a natural disposition to not fit like a potato sack). Like I said, if you need a suit quick, I'd say you're fine grabbing a JAB and rolling with it. But if you got some time and are looking to get the best bang for your buck (without going the M2M/bespoke route), SuitSupply is a good play, especially at their lower end pride range.

The more expensive SS suits get mixed reviews but the cheaper ones are pretty renowned for what you get for the price.

But I of course recommend the suits thread in the Legal Employment forum to get a good overview of all brands. There are countless out there.

AbLSAT

Postby AbLSAT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 am

PennBull wrote:
No13baby wrote:The best thing to do (which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet) is to go to the registrar's office and look at the past grade distributions for the electives, then take the ones which give the most grades above median. Don't feel like you need to take electives in a particular subject area for OCI. It's better to give yourself a shot at getting the best grades possible.

I heard some people had trouble explaining that "Law in American Life" class away

My experience was if the interviewer was a Penn Alum, they recognized Professor Gordon's name, immediately broke into a huge smile and spoke about how funny, crazy, quirky and nice she is. (All true.) I would take it just to have a really nice professor during 1l as opposed to the other personalities that seem to teach 1l here (I'm looking at you Morse. Katz, Wax, Burbank, Robinson etc.)

Burke - White has a reputation of hitting on (and more) with students. That class was so full of gunners it was awful.

Shame Skeel is not teaching - hands down the best professor at Penn.

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Sorry I wasn't able to read all 112 pages of posts.

But does Penn offer scholarships for good grades.

Say you came in paying sticker and ended 1L in the top 15%. Does Penn extend a scholarship at that point?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:Sorry I wasn't able to read all 112 pages of posts.

Say you came in paying sticker and ended 1L in the top 15%. Does Penn extend a scholarship at that point?

I'm not 100% sure, but generally the T14 does not do this at all.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:21 pm

scotth724 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but generally the T14 does not do this at all.

Some TLSers seem to have been able to negotiate scholarships after obtaining higher grades by successfully applying to transfer, then leveraging successful acceptances to higher ranked schools in order to receive better funding from their current institution. If it means a potential difference of many tens of thousands of dollars in debt by the time of graduation, I'd say the hassle of transfer applications sounds worth it for those with a good enough rank to snag acceptances.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

/JustSpeculating

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 pm

I've never heard of anyone doing this and I know a few people who transferred or had the grades to do so. Some people did transfer out after 1L, but it's not really worth it unless you're doing it for personal reasons like being closer to a significant other. If you have top grades at Penn, there are no doors (except maybe going to HYS for academia) that aren't open to you from here and transferring would mean you lose law review and your connections for clerkships. Don't expect to get money though. There is an award that goes to the person with the best grades after the first two years and pays for the third year.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Any supplement suggestions for Corporations?

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Ok.. So then if someone say a huge splitter, ED'ed to Penn. Are they locked in to sticker the whole way through. What if there is great "need-based" qualifications. Can they apply for any need based grants. I know merit based for a splitter Ed'ing is usually non existent.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:Ok.. So then if someone say a huge splitter, ED'ed to Penn. Are they locked in to sticker the whole way through. What if there is great "need-based" qualifications. Can they apply for any need based grants. I know merit based for a splitter Ed'ing is usually non existent.

You need to negotiate your aid up front. You're not going to have any luck getting money later. Apply broadly and leverage your offers. I think ED is usually a bad idea in this law student market where high LSAT applicants have the leverage over schools.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am

Mr.Esquire wrote:Ok.. So then if someone say a huge splitter, ED'ed to Penn. Are they locked in to sticker the whole way through. What if there is great "need-based" qualifications. Can they apply for any need based grants. I know merit based for a splitter Ed'ing is usually non existent.

I'm not so sure about this - I was a splitter (GPA at 25%, LSAT at 75%) and I was able to get some $$ out of them by showing up at admitted students weekend (from far away, it was quite a trip for me) and saying that Penn was my first choice but if I didn't get any scholarship money it didn't financially make sense to come here in light of what other schools were offering. You're not going to get the Levy as a splitter, but if you make your case you definitely have a chance of getting something.

Need-based aid is completely different - you have to apply through FAFSA, which is a pain because they take your parents' income into account (unless you're an older student).

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

No13baby wrote:

I'm not so sure about this - I was a splitter (GPA at 25%, LSAT at 75%) and I was able to get some $$ out of them by showing up at admitted students weekend (from far away, it was quite a trip for me) and saying that Penn was my first choice but if I didn't get any scholarship money it didn't financially make sense to come here in light of what other schools were offering. You're not going to get the Levy as a splitter, but if you make your case you definitely have a chance of getting something.

Need-based aid is completely different - you have to apply through FAFSA, which is a pain because they take your parents' income into account (unless you're an older student).

What is considered a high income parental household? Anyone have any idea? Do your parents need to make, let's say, less than 50k combined for you to get aid? 100k? 200k?

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Hey I was looking for apartment suggestions, and have questions in general.

1. Is there a significant social advantage of living in on-campus housing? Or do the grad students tend to keep to themselves? Would you recommend on-campus housing for an extroverted 1L who's worried about making friends?

2. What buildings are popular with law students? Not like areas, but specific apartment buildings that are close to campus. Looking for a studio or 1 bedroom that's around 1-1.5k in a nice modern doorman building.

3. How hard is subletting in the summer? If you're going elsewhere for internships, is there an influx of interns coming to Philly?

4. More on social life because I'm having a hard time finding info about this on google- what's the party scene like?

bhanson10

Postby bhanson10 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 pm

So I am a married admit, and will be attending Penn Law. I am planning on buying a house in Drexel Hill/Aldan/Lansdowne and was wondering what the commute will be like when there's 5 inches of snow being dumped. My wife and I have a dog, and my sister will be moving in with us because she will be attending Eastern University, so taking an apartment in the city is probably not going to be a viable option. Any recommended suburbs, for either driving or for public transportation? Thanks.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey friends, good to see new questions coming to the thread. I love when admissions start coming out; please feel free to ask as many questions that come to mind! I'm always on here looking for ways to avoid studying for finals.

bhanson10 wrote:So I am a married admit, and will be attending Penn Law. I am planning on buying a house in Drexel Hill/Aldan/Lansdowne and was wondering what the commute will be like when there's 5 inches of snow being dumped. My wife and I have a dog, and my sister will be moving in with us because she will be attending Eastern University, so taking an apartment in the city is probably not going to be a viable option. Any recommended suburbs, for either driving or for public transportation? Thanks.

This is slightly outside of my scope, but I find the SEPTA regional rail to be pretty reliable whenever I'm trying to get out that far. This has been a particularly shitty winter for Philadelphia; so I wouldn't worry too much over a few times a year there might be some snow on the ground/rails.

The fall is actually the time of year SEPTA can have *some* delays, because the crews have to clean off fallen leaves from the track. Leaves cause a bigger issue for rails than snow.

UNLESS you're talking about driving, and, in that case, it's the same as any other place. Give yourself another 15 minutes--no less--to clean off your car and to drive a little bit slower. I don't know anything about parking at/near the school, but PM me if you have specific questions about that.

Personally, I'd try to live a short walk from a regional rail stop and take the train in. It's not so bad.

Also, are you sure you want to buy a house? Do you know you'll be in Philly long term? I'm assuming you've already really looked into that; it just strikes me as something I've never heard of folks doing before.

tigersaresexy wrote:Hey I was looking for apartment suggestions, and have questions in general.

1. Is there a significant social advantage of living in on-campus housing? Or do the grad students tend to keep to themselves? Would you recommend on-campus housing for an extroverted 1L who's worried about making friends?

I wouldn't live in the on-campus housing, period. Anyone who has ever lived there will tell you it's a massively shitty apartment/dorm complex that you pay WAY too much money for. I mean, I don't mind if an apartment is shitty, but the price you pay is not even remotely in range compared to what you get.

There are VERY limited reasons to live there. If you are extremely nervous about finding a place sight unseen, and need something to sign up for blind, then go right ahead. I highly advise against this, however. Find a friend in Philly or a fellow 1L to check a place out for you, if need be. You can find a place literally right up until you start school.

Another reason people live there is because they're only spending one semester here and prefer just getting a semester-long lease. This doesn't apply, though.

Some people hail its proximity to the law school as a plus, but there are tons of apartments within the same range that are a much more palatable price/quality ratio. And, if you out a bit farther (and still VERY much in walking range), you can get much cheaper.

2. What buildings are popular with law students? Not like areas, but specific apartment buildings that are close to campus. Looking for a studio or 1 bedroom that's around 1-1.5k in a nice modern doorman building.

I don't know where you're coming to Philly from, but, while Philly is definitely one of the cheaper East Coast cities, adding the "nice modern doorman building" caveat to a 1-BR is going to drive the price very much near the $1,500 range. There's lots of stuff you can find in the area that doesn't have a doorman or anything that will help drive the price down.

2400 Chestnut is the only thing I can think of that's a really popular building in your criteria. Studios are $1450 (and up), and 1BRs are $1500 (and up). However, I'm pretty sure all utilities (except for cable and internet) are included? Check it out: http://www.2400chestnut.com/floorplans.html

3. How hard is subletting in the summer? If you're going elsewhere for internships, is there an influx of interns coming to Philly?

It's extremely easy. In doorman buildings, sometimes the lease is stricter with subletting, but you can handle that how you wish.

Your first stop should actually be to sublet to folks living in on-campus housing whose lease expires in May. Not really a big deal, and it's easier if you live in a nicer building.

4. More on social life because I'm having a hard time finding info about this on google- what's the party scene like?

Loaded question, but you can find whatever you'd like. I'm on the younger side, so I still enjoyed going to some of the more undergrad-heavy bars in University City (near the university, obviously). Those bars are also cheaper, haha. But, there are countless, countless bars with all different types of scenes. I have a few favorites I regularly hit, but when you get here it will not take you very long to see what kind of vibe you're looking for.

House and apartment parties didn't go away, either. There's still tons of parties being thrown for a variety of different reasons, whether hosted by fellow law students or other folks you meet in Philly or whatever. If you get involved with the undergrad crowd there's obviously a shitload of partying happening on that front, too.

It's also way less expensive to have fun here than other cities. I still love how countless bars here have $3 or $4 Yuengling drafts.

gatorgal

Postby gatorgal » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 am

To piggyback off the housing discussion, how do you suggest going about housing? Just do it from [reliable] hearsay, or go and visit?

As someone looking for a studio under 1K, it seems like The Hub might be a great option. But I want to be sure as quickly as possible, as I see those apartments go fast.

I'm also thinking of just heading up for a day-trip and scouting it out. Is there a realty agency anyone suggests going through, or should I just schedule appointments with the apartments that have made my "list" myself?

Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”