Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Nickg415 wrote:When all is said and done do they send out OCI stats and if so are they pretty accurate?

They release them to next year's class before OCI so people can make bidding decisions. It's really not something you should worry about until then.
PennBull wrote:OCI is the only time I actively avoid most people. Just a shitload of unfounded stress and bullshit that is incredibly annoying.

Don't pay attention to the OCI thread. Everyone will be fine.

And +1000000 to this.

europhile
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby europhile » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

Nelson wrote:
PennBull wrote:OCI is the only time I actively avoid most people. Just a shitload of unfounded stress and bullshit that is incredibly annoying.

Don't pay attention to the OCI thread. Everyone will be fine.

And +1000000 to this.


As an incoming 1L I know I have little business commenting on the subject, but this seems right on. The 2012 OCI thread made it appear that things went really poorly relative to previous years and maybe 60%-65% of the class would get SA offers with mid sized or large firms. But if you look at the class of 2014 networking spreadsheet the c/o 2014 clearly did much better than that.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15383
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

europhile wrote:
Nelson wrote:
PennBull wrote:OCI is the only time I actively avoid most people. Just a shitload of unfounded stress and bullshit that is incredibly annoying.

Don't pay attention to the OCI thread. Everyone will be fine.

And +1000000 to this.


As an incoming 1L I know I have little business commenting on the subject, but this seems right on. The 2012 OCI thread made it appear that things went really poorly relative to previous years and maybe 60%-65% of the class would get SA offers with mid sized or large firms. But if you look at the class of 2014 networking spreadsheet the c/o 2014 clearly did much better than that.


It is true that Philly and DC seemed to tighten up last year, but that's about it. The people freaking out over not getting enough NYC callbacks should go have a beer or a Xanax or something, and the people who bid only Philly or DC basically ignored any advice given from the prior classes.

31415926
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby 31415926 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 pm

For those older Penn students around, can anyone point me to an accepted alternative to Penn student insurance? I'm getting kicked off my parents plan and am really hoping to find a cheap(er) alternative to the student insurance.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:05 pm

31415926 wrote:For those older Penn students around, can anyone point me to an accepted alternative to Penn student insurance? I'm getting kicked off my parents plan and am really hoping to find a cheap(er) alternative to the student insurance.

The Penn student insurance sucks, but anything better is going to cost you way more. I did some research this year and really couldn't find anything better. If you're married, try your SO's plan. Otherwise, the student insurance is the most affordable option.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nickg415 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 pm

31415926 wrote:For those older Penn students around, can anyone point me to an accepted alternative to Penn student insurance? I'm getting kicked off my parents plan and am really hoping to find a cheap(er) alternative to the student insurance.

I've had friends who have found really good rates here: http://www.einsurance.com/health-insurance/
Also I believe in October the online health insurance exchange opens up and as students I believe we qualify for health care subsidies (I could be totally wrong about that).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
31415926 wrote:For those older Penn students around, can anyone point me to an accepted alternative to Penn student insurance? I'm getting kicked off my parents plan and am really hoping to find a cheap(er) alternative to the student insurance.

I've had friends who have found really good rates here: http://www.einsurance.com/health-insurance/
Also I believe in October the online health insurance exchange opens up and as students I believe we qualify for health care subsidies (I could be totally wrong about that).


Really good rates on plans that pass Penn's acceptance? I have not found any individual plan cheaper than Penn's plan that would qualify for a waiver.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:
31415926 wrote:For those older Penn students around, can anyone point me to an accepted alternative to Penn student insurance? I'm getting kicked off my parents plan and am really hoping to find a cheap(er) alternative to the student insurance.

I've had friends who have found really good rates here: http://www.einsurance.com/health-insurance/
Also I believe in October the online health insurance exchange opens up and as students I believe we qualify for health care subsidies (I could be totally wrong about that).


Really good rates on plans that pass Penn's acceptance? I have not found any individual plan cheaper than Penn's plan that would qualify for a waiver.

When I was signing up I talked to an insurance broker, read him Penn's requirements off the sheet, he gave me prices, and I paid $70/mo for the rest of law school (and through my first year and a half as an associate). Its fully possible it didn't actually meet Penn's criteria, but they examined it and didn't demand that I get different insurance.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Georgiana wrote:
When I was signing up I talked to an insurance broker, read him Penn's requirements off the sheet, he gave me prices, and I paid $70/mo for the rest of law school (and through my first year and a half as an associate). Its fully possible it didn't actually meet Penn's criteria, but they examined it and didn't demand that I get different insurance.


My work plan qualified when I did my masters, but did not when I started law school. I know Penn changed the requirement from year to year, and my insurance company changed coverage and eliminated some riders. I think ultimately it was the pregnancy care and mental care requirements that disqualified my submissions. I think Penn has been trying to eliminate the possibility of outside insurance while not strictly requiring you to buy it. This year the clinic fee is also going up, so even if you get slightly better rates, you end up paying more because of the clinic fees (I think, don't quote me on this, that it is like around 6-700 a year now).

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby syd625 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Has anyone lived on Pine Street in University City? Is it a decent area? I'm quickly looking for housing and am having trouble finding affordable places that are close. Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations that may still be available this late?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby SportsFan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:38 pm

syd625 wrote:Has anyone lived on Pine Street in University City? Is it a decent area? I'm quickly looking for housing and am having trouble finding affordable places that are close. Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations that may still be available this late?

Completely depends on how far west you go. If you're comfortable in a city, you'll be ok out to about 46th, but if not, you might not want to go much past 40th.

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby syd625 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:57 pm

SportsFan wrote:
syd625 wrote:Has anyone lived on Pine Street in University City? Is it a decent area? I'm quickly looking for housing and am having trouble finding affordable places that are close. Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations that may still be available this late?

Completely depends on how far west you go. If you're comfortable in a city, you'll be ok out to about 46th, but if not, you might not want to go much past 40th.


That was really helpful. All the places are on the Penn side of 40th, so I feel much better. Thanks!

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 pm

syd625 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
syd625 wrote:Has anyone lived on Pine Street in University City? Is it a decent area? I'm quickly looking for housing and am having trouble finding affordable places that are close. Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations that may still be available this late?

Completely depends on how far west you go. If you're comfortable in a city, you'll be ok out to about 46th, but if not, you might not want to go much past 40th.


That was really helpful. All the places are on the Penn side of 40th, so I feel much better. Thanks!

Just know that the Penn side of 40th is going to be incredibly undergrad-y. I would hate that but it really depends on your preferences.

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby syd625 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

That's not really my thing either. Do you have any suggestions? I've been looking at Rittenhouse/Center City, but everything seems to be 1500 or so and I'm not sure I can swing that. I'm a single female, so I'm hoping to find a place that's relatively safe.

Eta: I'm really excited to see how Couturier develops.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm

syd625 wrote:That's not really my thing either. Do you have any suggestions? I've been looking at Rittenhouse/Center City, but everything seems to be 1500 or so and I'm not sure I can swing that. I'm a single female, so I'm hoping to find a place that's relatively safe.

Eta: I'm really excited to see how Couturier develops.

In West Philly, you can find a one bedroom for much less than that. You're going to find the best prices for that around 45th give or take a few blocks east or west between Spruce and Baltimore Ave. That location is perfectly fine. You should be able to find something for well under 1k/month.

If you get a couple of roommates, for a 2-3 BR you should pay as a little as 400-600 per month in West Philly.

You can definitely find studios in Center City for less than 1500 if you want. But you want to look at walkups and smaller realtors instead of the big doorman buildings.

persimmon
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby persimmon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 pm

So, since we all just got our section assignments/textbooks lists... what do you think about using older editions of textbooks? I haven't been able to come up with a clear answer to this in general, and I wonder if anything about Penn specifically makes it a better or worse idea.

Possible concerns: are there usually library copies on reserve and available (for the one chapter/section that was heavily revised)? Do page numbers come up a lot, either in class or on exams? If I buy the second-newest edition, will I be the only one out of the loop or is it pretty common? Other thoughts?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15383
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 pm

persimmon wrote:So, since we all just got our section assignments/textbooks lists... what do you think about using older editions of textbooks? I haven't been able to come up with a clear answer to this in general, and I wonder if anything about Penn specifically makes it a better or worse idea.

Possible concerns: are there usually library copies on reserve and available (for the one chapter/section that was heavily revised)? Do page numbers come up a lot, either in class or on exams? If I buy the second-newest edition, will I be the only one out of the loop or is it pretty common? Other thoughts?


I always do rentals or used textbooks, pretty much no reason to buy a brand new book unless you have OCD

Old editions are doable, but I tried it once and having to match up pages was a nightmare. If you're looking at seriously cutting costs then it's a fine idea

Library has copies of everything

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby thechee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:24 pm

syd625 wrote:That's not really my thing either. Do you have any suggestions? I've been looking at Rittenhouse/Center City, but everything seems to be 1500 or so and I'm not sure I can swing that. I'm a single female, so I'm hoping to find a place that's relatively safe.

Eta: I'm really excited to see how Couturier develops.


There are a lot of great areas that many students don't really look at for 1L, but offer good value. Graduate Hospital is the area just south of the Rittenhouse neighborhood. It's the city feel without the high Center City prices. The area that you'd look at is essentially from 16th St to the river, between Lombard and Christian St. There's a bridge connecting the Penn campus at South St. The neighorhood directly south of here can be sketchy, so you do get some odd foot traffic. Among Philly biglaw associates, GradHo is one of the most popular areas to live.

Queen Village and Bella Vista are also pretty accessible, which goes from about 2nd St to 11th St, from South St. to Washington St. Those are really nice neighborhoods, and you can get way more space for your money. Some of the best restaurants and grocery shopping is right around there. In terms of safe and walkable areas, I'd say this is one of the best parts of the city, and the commute to the law school is quite easy.

There are also a surprising number of apartments for rent in Society Hill, but it's more quiet out there. Also an easy commute if you're willing to take the bus or subway.

Basically, the law school is in a very good location for publist transit, with a subway line, a trolley line, and many bus lines all operating within a few blocks. This really means that many parts of the city are in reasonable commuting distance.

persimmon
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby persimmon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Yes, definitely looking at used books, no question. The temptation is that the older editions are just so much cheaper, and when I Looked Inside and read about revisions in the preface, they didn't seem that substantial.

But I'm kind of leaning toward sucking it up and buying the latest editions, at least for this semester...sigh. The page numbers thing is compelling.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15383
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm

persimmon wrote:Yes, definitely looking at used books, no question. The temptation is that the older editions are just so much cheaper, and when I Looked Inside and read about revisions in the preface, they didn't seem that substantial.

But I'm kind of leaning toward sucking it up and buying the latest editions, at least for this semester...sigh. The page numbers thing is compelling.


Try it with one book for this semester. If it doesn't drive you crazy do it next semester. I wouldn't do it at all but it's your call

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Where do you guys recommend renting the books from? The bookstore? Amazon? Does the Penn bookstore have any limitations on how you can write in and highlight rented books?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote: Does the Penn bookstore have any limitations on how you can write in and highlight rented books?

No.

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby syd625 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help, guys!

europhile
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby europhile » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 pm

What are the odds that I can pick up the right editions of my casebooks for Torts, Contracts and Civ Pro at the EJF booksale? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 pm

.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests