Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby scifiguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Would it be weird to have a stuffed animal social group/club in law school?

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 pm

scifiguy wrote:Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

This is one reason why I rarely go on TLS anymore.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
scifiguy wrote:Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

This is one reason why I rarely go on TLS anymore.

Yep, not everyone is a stuffed animal fan.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:13 am

2L/3L schedules for next semester are out, hope everyone got what they wanted!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 am

SportsFan wrote:2L/3L schedules for next semester are out, hope everyone got what they wanted!

Somehow I ended up with two seminars. I will regret this decision.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am

Any 3L's have any OCI advice as we head into the home stretch before interviews begin?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 am

SportsFan wrote:Any 3L's have any OCI advice as we head into the home stretch before interviews begin?

It's seriously not that big a deal

Avoid your neurotic annoying classmates

Step outside and grab some fresh air/a snack when you can, because beig inside for 8 hours talking to attorneys and law students is basically hell

Most importantly, have fun in your interviews! When you start stressing and not having fun, interviews become tenuous and terrible. Just chill and enjoy yourself and enjoy meeting new people. It'll make everything go smoother

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Considering buying a Mac for the first time ever, only because I am sick of doing research on which PC to buy and the MacBook Air and Pro and the only two laptops/ultrabooks that seem to universally be endorsed. However, I would basically just be planning to run BootCamp so that I can use Windows 7 and OneNote all the time.

Are Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Suite downloadable for free through Penn, or would I have to buy these?

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Considering buying a Mac for the first time ever, only because I am sick of doing research on which PC to buy and the MacBook Air and Pro and the only two laptops/ultrabooks that seem to universally be endorsed. However, I would basically just be planning to run BootCamp so that I can use Windows 7 and OneNote all the time.

Are Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Suite downloadable for free through Penn, or would I have to buy these?

I suggest getting the new macbook air. I just went though the ordeal of getting a new laptop and the biggest selling point for me is that they have 12 hours of battery life. This is great because you don't need to bring a charger with you to school. you can just throw your laptop in your backpack and head out. personally the 13 inch is the only way to go especially for the small increase in price. I don't think Windows 7 and Office Suite are free but they are pretty cheap with a student discount.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:23 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Considering buying a Mac for the first time ever, only because I am sick of doing research on which PC to buy and the MacBook Air and Pro and the only two laptops/ultrabooks that seem to universally be endorsed. However, I would basically just be planning to run BootCamp so that I can use Windows 7 and OneNote all the time.

Any computer that has word processing and internet is suitable for law school. Buy a cheap thing on Newegg and put the 800 dollars you save towards something else.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm

PennBull wrote:

Any computer that has word processing and internet is suitable for law school. Buy a cheap thing on Newegg and put the 800 dollars you save towards something else.

I realize that the computing tasks necessary are minimal, but I have heard too many stories about people regretting buying their POS Lenovo's or Asus' or Acer's, etc. as they have broken down at the end of their first or second year.

On these boards alone there are numerous examples of people who did what you did and bought something cheap, only to have it break and malfunction later on at which point they bought (almost always) a Mac Air or MacBook Pro, if not then a high end PC.

No one hates Apple more than me, trust me. And I certainly don't care at all about being a conformist and going with the other 99% of law school students by getting a Mac.

I think when you are buying a sub-$500 laptop, the chances of it lasting the entire 3 years are not so great, and I just don't want to deal with that headache. I have been buying PC's in the $1,000-$1,500 range since I was a teenager and most of the damn things have been lucky to make it to 3, 4 years at most before totally sucking and becoming too frustrating to use. So a $500 one lasting that long to me seems unlikely.

Besides, I see a computer purchase as an investment - something that will last me for 3-4 years at least and not 1-2. And, I have heard that Macs have pretty decent resale value in the short term.

ETA: When I am already looking at $150k-ish in debt, another $800 is peanuts, and for the peace of mind is it good value added IMO.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm

If you're going to pay macbook money to use it as a PC, get an X1 carbon so you get a better keyboard out of the deal.

And you'll have to buy your software.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Nelson wrote:

If you're going to pay macbook money to use it as a PC, get an X1 carbon so you get a better keyboard out of the deal.

And you'll have to buy your software.

The X1 is several hundred higher than the Mac Air, I believe. Indisputably has the best keyboard, but lacks in other areas such as battery power.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 pm

I have been running parallels on a circa 09 MacBook Pro with 8 gig since 1L. Have the best of both worlds at the same time. No need to go with bootcamp and turn your mac into a PC.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I have been running parallels on a circa 09 MacBook Pro with 8 gig since 1L. Have the best of both worlds at the same time. No need to go with bootcamp and turn your mac into a PC.

Awesome thanks! I was considering that option but was afraid it would make the computer super slow. I really only want to use OneNote (have an older PC laptop at home) so if I could still take advantage of the Mac OS that would be great.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Awesome thanks! I was considering that option but was afraid it would make the computer super slow. I really only want to use OneNote (have an older PC laptop at home) so if I could still take advantage of the Mac OS that would be great.

You are welcome to come check out my laptop if you want. PM me if you don't know who I am.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

I realize that the computing tasks necessary are minimal, but I have heard too many stories about people regretting buying their POS Lenovo's or Asus' or Acer's, etc. as they have broken down at the end of their first or second year.

On these boards alone there are numerous examples of people who did what you did and bought something cheap, only to have it break and malfunction later on at which point they bought (almost always) a Mac Air or MacBook Pro, if not then a high end PC.

No one hates Apple more than me, trust me. And I certainly don't care at all about being a conformist and going with the other 99% of law school students by getting a Mac.

I think when you are buying a sub-$500 laptop, the chances of it lasting the entire 3 years are not so great, and I just don't want to deal with that headache. I have been buying PC's in the $1,000-$1,500 range since I was a teenager and most of the damn things have been lucky to make it to 3, 4 years at most before totally sucking and becoming too frustrating to use. So a $500 one lasting that long to me seems unlikely.

Besides, I see a computer purchase as an investment - something that will last me for 3-4 years at least and not 1-2. And, I have heard that Macs have pretty decent resale value in the short term.

ETA: When I am already looking at $150k-ish in debt, another $800 is peanuts, and for the peace of mind is it good value added IMO.

My $300 refurbed Asus is 2 years strong. YMMV I guess but TLS, Facebook, fantasy football, and Microsoft Word just don't kill my computer.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Random question: are there any sand volleyball courts near/on campus?

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:36 am

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

FYI, this years Penn OCI thread is depressing so far :| .

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:FYI, this years Penn OCI thread is depressing so far :| .

It's 2 days in. Fugghedaboudit.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:FYI, this years Penn OCI thread is depressing so far :| .

It's 2 days in. Fugghedaboudit.

Yeah, this. Frankly, the thread on here is way more depressing than anyone seems IRL. I think people just like venting anonymously on TLS haha.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Good to hear. That's why I now try and avoid TLS unless it is talking to classmates or for a very specific purpose haha.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

OCI is the only time I actively avoid most people. Just a shitload of unfounded stress and bullshit that is incredibly annoying.

Don't pay attention to the OCI thread. Everyone will be fine.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:37 pm

PennBull wrote:OCI is the only time I actively avoid most people. Just a shitload of unfounded stress and bullshit that is incredibly annoying.

Don't pay attention to the OCI thread. Everyone will be fine.

When all is said and done do they send out OCI stats and if so are they pretty accurate?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”