Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nelson

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 pm

dsn32 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Fall 2012 OCI data is on the CPP website now, FWIW. Probably been there a few weeks but I just randomly thought to go looking for it.

Edit: And compared to the Fall 2011 data, its better because they broke it down by office location.

Could you post a link? 0L who hasn't quite figured out the site yet!

It's behind a LawKey gate since it's not supposed to be made public. It's meaningless without grades anyway.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Just a friendly mention that y'all can PM me about various OCI stuff. I kinda went apeshit with organization and preparation and did really well on bidding. After bidding it's all up to you, but I may be able to help cut some time down because I overkilled it last year haha

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 pm

PennBull wrote:Just a friendly mention that y'all can PM me about various OCI stuff. I kinda went apeshit with organization and preparation and did really well on bidding. After bidding it's all up to you, but I may be able to help cut some time down because I overkilled it last year haha

yea um...I don't even know where to start. How do I determine which firms will be popular bids?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri May 31, 2013 7:55 am

When should I start mass mailing? First week or so of July?

Edit: and it's not a bad idea to mass mail a lot of markets, right? Obviously I don't have ties to a lot of places, but there are definitely a lot of markets I wouldn't mind working in.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ibracadabra

Postby Ibracadabra » Fri May 31, 2013 3:42 pm

What are my options for housing if I want to be within walking distance of the law school. I need the unit to be for 1 person and as affordable as possible. Should I be looking on or off campus? Any suggestions?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Ibracadabra wrote:What are my options for housing if I want to be within walking distance of the law school. I need the unit to be for 1 person and as affordable as possible. Should I be looking on or off campus? Any suggestions?

If you want affordable, you probably want university city instead of center city. Check out the area between Walnut and Baltimore, and 40th and 44th (you can go further west but it won't really be walkable). Roughly a 15-20 minute walk from that area.

Ibracadabra

Postby Ibracadabra » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Ibracadabra wrote:What are my options for housing if I want to be within walking distance of the law school. I need the unit to be for 1 person and as affordable as possible. Should I be looking on or off campus? Any suggestions?

If you want affordable, you probably want university city instead of center city. Check out the area between Walnut and Baltimore, and 40th and 44th (you can go further west but it won't really be walkable). Roughly a 15-20 minute walk from that area.

Thanks!

stacy

Postby stacy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 pm

What are the standard classes for first semester?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 am

stacy wrote:What are the standard classes for first semester?

Torts, contracts, civ pro, and legal writing (which is pass/fail).

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 am

Civ Pro, Contracts, Tort - 1st Semester
Con Law, Crim - 2nd Semester

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 pm

westphillybandr wrote:Civ Pro, Contracts, Tort - 1st Semester

And 2 electives in the second semester (just thought I'd mention it so nobody gets the wrong impression and thinks we only have 2 classes second semester haha).

Anyone here knowledgable about student loans? To make a long story short (and because I don't wanna get into my personal financial situation on here, though I'll gladly explain in more detail via PM if you need to know more to help me out), I'm hoping to get like $3k via grad plus loans to help cover my cost of living expenses, and I'd preferably like to get it ASAP. Is this even possible?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 pm

SportsFan wrote:

And 2 electives in the second semester (just thought I'd mention it so nobody gets the wrong impression and thinks we only have 2 classes second semester haha).

Anyone here knowledgable about student loans? To make a long story short (and because I don't wanna get into my personal financial situation on here, though I'll gladly explain in more detail via PM if you need to know more to help me out), I'm hoping to get like $3k via grad plus loans to help cover my cost of living expenses, and I'd preferably like to get it ASAP. Is this even possible?

If you already have Grad Plus loans it'll take about 10 business days to be deposited into your account

stacy

Postby stacy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:02 pm

SportsFan wrote:

No13baby wrote:
stacy wrote:What are the standard classes for first semester?

Torts, contracts, civ pro, and legal writing (which is pass/fail).

Thank you all!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 pm

When is the deadline for submitting grades? Still waiting on a grade

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 pm

westphillybandr wrote:When is the deadline for submitting grades? Still waiting on a grade

Still missing one as well. I don't think the deadline is online anywhere. No one I've talked to seems to know. It has to be soon though right?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Nelson wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:When is the deadline for submitting grades? Still waiting on a grade

Still missing one as well. I don't think the deadline is online anywhere. No one I've talked to seems to know. It has to be soon though right?

From an email they sent us a while ago, its 1 month after the date of your final. So yeah, I'm pretty sure our property grade is late now. Haha.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 pm

On the topic of grades. What is median after second semester?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 pm

westphillybandr wrote:On the topic of grades. What is median after second semester?

Approximately 3.3 (depends on whether you use 3.7 or 3.666 for A- etc.). A grade distribution from a few years ago is on xoxo if you search for it and I don't think it's changed much since then. I'd be interested if anyone has any more recent info.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Nelson wrote:

From an email they sent us a while ago, its 1 month after the date of your final. So yeah, I'm pretty sure our property grade is late now. Haha.

Was that a whole month ago? That went by fast.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Finally got my last grade in, and its an A. Whew. Leaves my GPA at like a 3.27. Medianish. I'll take it.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:52 pm

SportsFan wrote:Finally got my last grade in, and its an A. Whew. Leaves my GPA at like a 3.27. Medianish. I'll take it.

And so it was written. Congrats dude.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Finally got my last grade in, and its an A. Whew. Leaves my GPA at like a 3.27. Medianish. I'll take it.

Thanks. Now give me bidding tips, 2L's! :lol:

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

SportsFan wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

Well done bro. I told you that last grade makes all the difference and there's no reason to worry until then!

PM me about your bidding interests and I'll throw some tips your way.

And, yes, I'll get to some of the other questions in my inbox, but my internet doesn't work at home yet and I don't want to waste too much time at work (gotta bill dem hours)

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm

PennBull wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

Well done bro. I told you that last grade makes all the difference and there's no reason to worry until then!

PM me about your bidding interests and I'll throw some tips your way.

And, yes, I'll get to some of the other questions in my inbox, but my internet doesn't work at home yet and I don't want to waste too much time at work (gotta bill dem hours)

Yeah, definitely crazy how that last grade can really make all the difference. I'll definitely be PM'ing you soon, thanks for helping!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”