Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PennBull

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Offering a finder's fee to anyone that can put me in touch with someone that will be moving out of one of the above bar/restaurant/store apartments that are right there by the law building

:lol: :lol: :lol:

serious...

I'm 90% sure New Deck owns those actually. Just call them and ask to speak to someone who knows something about the apartments. If I'm wrong, just ask them who to call. Every owner/manager on that block knows one another.

Once you get in contact with a landlord just ask if the lease has been renewed. Unless you're just looking to sublet for the summer, in which case I have no idea.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:48 am

PennBull wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Offering a finder's fee to anyone that can put me in touch with someone that will be moving out of one of the above bar/restaurant/store apartments that are right there by the law building

serious...

I'm 90% sure New Deck owns those actually. Just call them and ask to speak to someone who knows something about the apartments. If I'm wrong, just ask them who to call. Every owner/manager on that block knows one another.

Once you get in contact with a landlord just ask if the lease has been renewed. Unless you're just looking to sublet for the summer, in which case I have no idea.

thanks!

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 am

Would you all recommend staying with a student for ASW? A room at the Sheraton on campus costs $200 a night. TYIA.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am

hume85 wrote:Would you all recommend staying with a student for ASW? A room at the Sheraton on campus costs $200 a night. TYIA.

Yes. 1000x yes. (I'm also organizing the student hosts haha)

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

serious...

I think I might have the contact info for two of the landlords there, we looked around there and saw 5 apartments, I think. PM me if you'd like more details.

Postby 5965 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 am

How common are multiple choice exams in Penn, especially for 1L?

hume85

Postby hume85 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

What do you all think about attending a mock torts class with Jacques deLisle during ASW? I am inclined to skip it. TYIA

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:25 pm

5965 wrote:How common are multiple choice exams in Penn, especially for 1L?

Very common for an exam to have a multiple choice section as a 1L.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

bluepenguin wrote:I searched, but didn't see much mention of cars. Does anyone have experience having a car at Penn?

I don't care about parking on campus, but if I wanted to bring a car would any of the housing options have room for it? Would it cost much? Or would I be stuck living further away from campus?

This is super late, but I actually prefer having a car around. I left my car with my parents 1L year because it seemed like such a hassle to have it in the city and then I ended up bringing it to campus 2L year (needed it for a summer job and just kept it). You certainly don't need one - I relied on zipcar perfectly fine - but I don't think it's nearly as much of a hassle as some people may seem. I parked it in University City most of the time, even though I lived in Center City. Like others have said, parking immediately around the school is metered, but I think it's free and unlimited around 39th. It served me pretty well around OCI especially.

Additionally, if you have PA plates or can get PA plates, I believe that a zoning sticker for Center City is only $35/year. Normally those spots are limited to 2 hour increments between 8 AM and 6 PM (no limit on Sundays), but the sticker lets you park there indefinitely. Finding spots can get a bit tight on weekends but it's never to the point where you actually can't get one at all.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

westphillybandr wrote:

I had 2 exams where half the test, and it was the same professor. I wouldn't say very common. More like possible.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 pm

PennBull wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

I had 2 exams where half the test, and it was the same professor. I wouldn't say very common. More like possible.

I had four, so I put it as likely.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

I had four, so I put it as likely.

I have 2 exams this semester that are all MC, and my Contracts final last semester had a MC component to it.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 am

PennBull wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:

It's very common.

idontwantdebt1467

Postby idontwantdebt1467 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 am

Are law students able to get into Wharton classes? If you wanted to use an elective in the business school, are you actually able to get in? And if you had a Levy would that cover the cost?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 am

westphillybandr wrote:
PennBull wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:Very common for an exam to have a multiple choice section as a 1L.

It's very common.

Thanks for the insightful response.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:04 am

idontwantdebt1467 wrote:Are law students able to get into Wharton classes? If you wanted to use an elective in the business school, are you actually able to get in? And if you had a Levy would that cover the cost?

Many law students take classes at Wharton (we also have a very popular Wharton certificate program), and while some of the super popular courses are taken up, many courses are open for law students to get into. Supposedly they're offering a new certificate program that'll make it a bit easier to get into a few courses, but I admittedly haven't read the details on it. In general, there's some really great courses available and I highly recommend several of them to get a background on business economics, or, if you already have that kind of background, some more advanced financial analysis or something of the sort.

Wharton is a separate college of the university, so you do have to pay for the courses you take at a different school, whether it is Wharton or another college. Scholarship isn't going to help with that.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 pm

hume85 wrote:What do you all think about attending a mock torts class with Jacques deLisle during ASW? I am inclined to skip it. TYIA

Mock classes are dumb. Delisle is probably fairly entertaining though as far as they go.

Postby 5965 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 pm

What is something you don't like about Penn Law? I think knowing its downsides will help me have a balanced understanding!

Also, between multiple choice exams and short answers/essays, which do you think is better?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:35 pm

anyone ever taken a large loan disbursement Spring than you took in Fall? Sounds like this is not an issue most places, just wanted to confirm for Penn though.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:anyone ever taken a large loan disbursement Spring than you took in Fall? Sounds like this is not an issue most places, just wanted to confirm for Penn though.

I took less since I took too much in the fall. It's easy to change up or down if you took less than your full allotment. You can also petition to have your loan cap increased but the allotment is already way more than you need.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 pm

5965 wrote:What is something you don't like about Penn Law?

The Tuition is 2 Damn High

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Nelson wrote:... the allotment is already way more than you need.

even once you take into account that the budget is for 9 months rather than 12? Or is the summer funding enough to offset this, assuming an unpaid 1L summer job

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Last semester I had none (in 3 classes), this semester I have 2 (out of 4 classes).

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:02 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Nelson wrote:... the allotment is already way more than you need.

even once you take into account that the budget is for 9 months rather than 12? Or is the summer funding enough to offset this, assuming an unpaid 1L summer job

Many people qualify for work-study money for their 1L summer job, which means as long as you're working something in public service you qualify for something like $5,500.

Also, the cap is definitely generous. You should strive to hit well below the cap. The only people I know of who had a reason to even scratch the cap had full families to take care of or extraneous circumstances. Philadelphia is a relatively affordable city; you should do just fine with the cap.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 am

5965 wrote:What is something you don't like about Penn Law? I think knowing its downsides will help me have a balanced understanding!

Honestly, I tried thinking of a good answer for this, but I just can't. I think Penn does an awesome job of having a complete law school, or at least as much as any other law school.

Some folks like to say that Penn has lackluster public interest employment advice/assistance, but I think that has a lot to do with the self-selection of the student body into private sector work.

The best answer to your question is to either a.) visit, or b.) talk to several individuals and compare their dislikes amongst one another. One person's trash is another person's treasure. Someone may really dislike something, whereas someone else may have found a way to alleviate that issue.

5965 wrote:Also, between multiple choice exams and short answers/essays, which do you think is better?

The type of test doesn't matter for me; I prefer whatever professor has the most former exams and answers for me to practice from.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”