Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MC Southstar

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:27 pm

boilercat wrote:Anyone have any good info about how Penn places on the West Coast relative to Mich and NYU?

http://californiabar.globl.org/

thomasrm

Postby thomasrm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 pm

ashleigh - Penn actually doesn't offer rec classes for credit, even at the undergraduate level. I think you are out of luck for basketweaving, but the gym has a bunch of relatively cheap yoga classes (upenn.edu/recreation) and there is a fancy studio at 40th and chestnut, just a couple blocks up called dhyana yoga.

georgiana - Were you in Philadelphia for your 1L summer? If not, was it hard to sublet an apartment in Center City for the summer? I want to get a nice place, but I'm afraid to sign a $1200+ lease if I might be living somewhere else.

ashleigh

Postby ashleigh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 pm

thomasrm wrote:ashleigh - Penn actually doesn't offer rec classes for credit, even at the undergraduate level. I think you are out of luck for basketweaving, but the gym has a bunch of relatively cheap yoga classes (upenn.edu/recreation) and there is a fancy studio at 40th and chestnut, just a couple blocks up called dhyana yoga.

georgiana - Were you in Philadelphia for your 1L summer? If not, was it hard to sublet an apartment in Center City for the summer? I want to get a nice place, but I'm afraid to sign a $1200+ lease if I might be living somewhere else.

oh sweet!

my u-grad had pass/fail dance/athletic classes so I thought there was something similar at penn. not concerned about credit, so good to know that there are these other options! thanks!

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:20 am

Georgiana wrote:Yea, I had two 24 hour take homes after my in class exams ended the 17th. Exams this semester hardcore sucked, if I have a B+ avg ill be surprised.

I fly out early early tomorrow and I'm coming back the 5th. Can't wait to leave the city for a bit even tho going home is super boring. How about you?

I get back on the 10th...and yeah, finals were rough. If I do make the B+ average, it'll only be because of the non-law school class I took this semester. I'm just procrastinating packing right now :mrgreen:

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 am

kurla88 wrote:SO excited to be done my first semester! :D If 0Ls have questions, I (and everyone) have more time to answer them now, with a whole semester's worth of experience, lol.

Good work. I'll buy you a drink to celebrate in the spring. And possibly coerce you into doing karaoke with me again.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:20 am

biggamejames wrote:
kurla88 wrote:SO excited to be done my first semester! :D If 0Ls have questions, I (and everyone) have more time to answer them now, with a whole semester's worth of experience, lol.

Good work. I'll buy you a drink to celebrate in the spring. And possibly coerce you into doing karaoke with me again.

I secretly love karaoke. :D Wouldn't take much coercing.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Penn is one of my top choices, but my mom's friend has a coworker who went there and said that the people are really snooty. Is there any truth to that?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:46 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Penn is one of my top choices, but my mom's friend has a coworker who went there and said that the people are really snooty. Is there any truth to that?

Not in my experience. Maybe at the UG.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Penn is one of my top choices, but my mom's friend has a coworker who went there and said that the people are really snooty. Is there any truth to that?

Yes, but Penn kids aren't especially snooty. They are only snooty to the normal degree that law students and northeasterners are snooty.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:12 pm

biggamejames wrote:

Yes, but Penn kids aren't especially snooty. They are only snooty to the normal degree that law students and northeasterners are snooty.

I think we're more worried about Ivy, preppie, privileged douchebag snooty.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

you're just wondering whether you should tone it down a bit to fit in?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:26 pm

thomasrm wrote:ashleigh - Penn actually doesn't offer rec classes for credit, even at the undergraduate level. I think you are out of luck for basketweaving, but the gym has a bunch of relatively cheap yoga classes (upenn.edu/recreation) and there is a fancy studio at 40th and chestnut, just a couple blocks up called dhyana yoga.

I must have missed this before, sorry!

I was in Philly for 1L summer so I didn't have to sublet. I will be leaving this summer and will either sublet (if I can find a student I trust in my apartment) or just deal with paying the rent since I'll need it for May and August which means I'm only really paying 2 months rent with it unoccupied.

There were people who sublet for the summer (I know biggamejames was out of Philly for summer, but I think he had a friend taking over his apt for summer, maybe he can chime in!)

You can also try to negotiate a 9 month lease but they'll probably charge you more for rent and may come out the same money-wise.

I'm sure if you try hard to find a subletter, you can do it, you just have to be really on top of it (and I'm too lazy to do that lol).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

I don't find people especially "snooty" but I have found that I've become more prestige-whorey throughout law school which might mean law school has a bad effect on me :roll:

There's the occasional DB, but we learn to just laugh it off. I don't think Penn is snootier than any other law school.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34 pm

puppins wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

I'm wondering whether or not I should wear a $3000 suit and harry potter scarf to ASW.

Georgiana wrote:I don't find people especially "snooty" but I have found that I've become more prestige-whorey throughout law school which might mean law school has a bad effect on me

There's the occasional DB, but we learn to just laugh it off. I don't think Penn is snootier than any other law school.

Sounds about right. :)

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:35 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm wondering whether or not I should wear a $3000 suit and harry potter scarf to ASW.

mmm I approve of the harry potter scarf. still haven't decided what I am wearing though :?

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Georgiana wrote:There were people who sublet for the summer (I know biggamejames was out of Philly for summer, but I think he had a friend taking over his apt for summer, maybe he can chime in!)

Okay, who the hell are you, and how do you know shit about me?

Actually, my friend backed out at the last minute, and I ended up paying rent for two places last summer. However, my Philly rent is $600/month and my summer rent was $200/month, so the combination was manageable even off my $10/hour salary.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:37 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
puppins wrote:

I'm wondering whether or not I should wear a $3000 suit and harry potter scarf to ASW.

Yes to the bolded :)

No to the suit, OBV.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

biggamejames wrote:
Georgiana wrote:There were people who sublet for the summer (I know biggamejames was out of Philly for summer, but I think he had a friend taking over his apt for summer, maybe he can chime in!)

Okay, who the hell are you, and how do you know shit about me?

Actually, my friend backed out at the last minute, and I ended up paying rent for two places last summer. However, my Philly rent is $600/month and my summer rent was $200/month, so the combination was manageable even off my $10/hour salary.

hahahahahaha

Oh dear. Is it so bad I know who you are?

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Georgiana wrote:I don't find people especially "snooty" but I have found that I've become more prestige-whorey throughout law school which might mean law school has a bad effect on me :roll:

Hah, I've gotten more militant about my "all law schools are equivalent in terms of educational quality" perspective since I started.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:39 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm wondering whether or not I should wear a $3000 suit and harry potter scarf to ASW.

Either would cause me to mock you, but there's no particular reason to fear my mockery. Go for it.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Conclusion: Ladies like the harry potter scarf and men are jealous of it. Yes, this all makes sense now.

--ImageRemoved--

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Georgiana wrote:
biggamejames wrote:Okay, who the hell are you, and how do you know shit about me?

hahahahahaha

Oh dear. Is it so bad I know who you are?

I'm really curious now. I don't think even the law students I talk to often knew much about how my summer living situation worked, and I'm kind of shocked that anyone else at school would remember anything about it.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Conclusion: Ladies like the harry potter scarf and men are jealous of it. Yes, this all makes sense now.

--ImageRemoved--

This is super creepy.

Friends off.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:45 pm

ROFL. It's on the first page of google image search for "harry potter". Couldn't resist.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:ROFL. It's on the first page of google image search for "harry potter". Couldn't resist.

:evil:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”