Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jack M

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Jack M » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 am

Can any current students comment on the availability/quality of on-campus housing (Sansom East)?

Is it quiet/clean? Good location? Easy to get a single bedroom apartment?

Thanks

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am

Generally speaking I think you'll find that there are much better options than Sansom for just about any set of preferences/priorities.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 am

Anyone ever lived in one of the apartments above the local businesses around the school? Looks like there is a ton of these things around...is it the kind of thing you'd need to just see a For Rent sign in person to hear about?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:10 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Anyone ever lived in one of the apartments above the local businesses around the school? Looks like there is a ton of these things around...is it the kind of thing you'd need to just see a For Rent sign in person to hear about?

If I knew that these were a thing before I had my current place, I'd sign up instantly. Great location, the businesses you live over are real quality places (and I'm pretty sure they're also your landlord, which is interesting), and the price is probably decent.

I know there's some 1Ls living there now (I don't know who), but if you call the restaurants/bars/stores on Sansom row (just Google them), they probably can tell you what's up.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Jack M wrote:Can any current students comment on the availability/quality of on-campus housing (Sansom East)?

Thanks

The absolute only reasons one should ever take Sansom is if you're a transfer accepted at the last minute and can't deal with finding an apartment, if you only plan on staying for one semester and don't want to sublet, or if you enjoy overpaying for horrible apartments.

The quality is decidedly below average, which I don't mind, but they charge you an exorbitant price for it. Look elsewhere.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm

PennBull wrote:
Jack M wrote:Can any current students comment on the availability/quality of on-campus housing (Sansom East)?

Thanks

The absolute only reasons one should ever take Sansom is if you're a transfer accepted at the last minute and can't deal with finding an apartment, if you only plan on staying for one semester and don't want to sublet, or if you enjoy overpaying for horrible apartments.

The quality is decidedly below average, which I don't mind, but they charge you an exorbitant price for it. Look elsewhere.

I was initially really excited to find a graduate housing building so close to the law school. Then I saw the price and pictures of the place. It looks like a dump, and is more expensive than a lot of much nicer looking places in University City.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 pm

hume85 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Thanks

I was initially really excited to find a graduate housing building so close to the law school. Then I saw the price and pictures of the place. It looks like a dump, and is more expensive than a lot of much nicer looking places in University City.

Exactly. I'm not a stickler for quality, but I am a stickler for price/quality ratio. I lived in university-run housing all through my suburb-located undergrad, so I certainly appreciate the value of it. But Philadelphia has a ton of housing all around so Sansom really isn't a good value at all.

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Hey everyone, I was accepted ED last week! I've been researching apartments in the area via Penn's Off-Campus Services website. I'm reading on the boards about University City and Center City. I am really unfamiliar with area, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. This is ideal: studio/1bdr, within 15 minute walk from the law school, close to some bars/restaurants, safe, clean, under $1200. I'm willing to be flexible though, but those features are the most important to me. Any tips? When do people start signing leases and when do leases usually begin (August?) Thanks! I'm so excited!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:10 pm

TunnelVision wrote:Hey everyone, I was accepted ED last week! I've been researching apartments in the area via Penn's Off-Campus Services website. I'm reading on the boards about University City and Center City. I am really unfamiliar with area, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. This is ideal: studio/1bdr, within 15 minute walk from the law school, close to some bars/restaurants, safe, clean, under $1200. I'm willing to be flexible though, but those features are the most important to me. Any tips? When do people start signing leases and when do leases usually begin (August?) Thanks! I'm so excited!

Congrats! Welcome to Penn.

Both UC and CC fit your description, with UC more likely to find affordable places/more space, and CC closer to more entertainment. While they are different, they do both fit your requirements. CC is more of an urban feel, while UC is a lot of houses and students and such. UC is also a bit closer. Really just depends on what kind of environment you like. I used google maps to check out areas.

I'm kind of unfamiliar with how one should go about the housing search but I know it's been discussed in this thread a few times.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:29 pm

PennBull wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Anyone ever lived in one of the apartments above the local businesses around the school? Looks like there is a ton of these things around...is it the kind of thing you'd need to just see a For Rent sign in person to hear about?

If I knew that these were a thing before I had my current place, I'd sign up instantly. Great location, the businesses you live over are real quality places (and I'm pretty sure they're also your landlord, which is interesting), and the price is probably decent.

I know there's some 1Ls living there now (I don't know who), but if you call the restaurants/bars/stores on Sansom row (just Google them), they probably can tell you what's up.

Nothing to add about the housing, but did want to add that I've been to most of them and they've all been really good.
PennBull wrote:
TunnelVision wrote:Hey everyone, I was accepted ED last week! I've been researching apartments in the area via Penn's Off-Campus Services website. I'm reading on the boards about University City and Center City. I am really unfamiliar with area, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. This is ideal: studio/1bdr, within 15 minute walk from the law school, close to some bars/restaurants, safe, clean, under $1200. I'm willing to be flexible though, but those features are the most important to me. Any tips? When do people start signing leases and when do leases usually begin (August?) Thanks! I'm so excited!

Both UC and CC fit your description, with UC more likely to find affordable places/more space, and CC closer to more entertainment. While they are different, they do both fit your requirements. CC is more of an urban feel, while UC is a lot of houses and students and such. UC is also a bit closer. Really just depends on what kind of environment you like. I used google maps to check out areas.

I'm kind of unfamiliar with how one should go about the housing search but I know it's been discussed in this thread a few times.

<15 minute walk to the law school makes this difficult... Basically rules out center city unless you're right along the Schuylkill.

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Did anyone bring a puppy/dog as a 1L? Is there enough time as a 1L student to raise a dog?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:44 pm

SportsFan wrote:
PennBull wrote:

<15 minute walk to the law school makes this difficult... Basically rules out center city unless you're right along the Schuylkill.

Yeah I agree, although I'm on 42nd and it's about a 17 minute walk. Biking gets me there in 7-8 minutes. But yeah center city becomes more in the 20-30 minute range.

Also, it never gets mentioned for some reason, but the are just north of the law school has tons of housing, mostly intended for Drexel students. I've really enjoyed the area every time I've been up there.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Emmy213 wrote:Did anyone bring a puppy/dog as a 1L? Is there enough time as a 1L student to raise a dog?

Lots of people have dogs, and I had one friend actually raise a puppy during 1L. I have no idea how she did it. Her puppy was extremely active.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

PennBull wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Yeah I agree, although I'm on 42nd and it's about a 17 minute walk. Biking gets me there in 7-8 minutes. But yeah center city becomes more in the 20-30 minute range.

Also, it never gets mentioned for some reason, but the are just north of the law school has tons of housing, mostly intended for Drexel students. I've really enjoyed the area every time I've been up there.

Heh thats where I am too. Good location. :mrgreen:

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Phew good to know, thanks! I realized I can't adopt a badass husky and might have to settle for a milder dog :) If only Penny the therapy dog was real....

PennBull wrote:
Emmy213 wrote:Did anyone bring a puppy/dog as a 1L? Is there enough time as a 1L student to raise a dog?

Lots of people have dogs, and I had one friend actually raise a puppy during 1L. I have no idea how she did it. Her puppy was extremely active.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Emmy213 wrote:Phew good to know, thanks! I realized I can't adopt a badass husky and might have to settle for a milder dog :) If only Penny the therapy dog was real....

PennBull wrote:

I actually have a dog, and I was just fine. I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy during 1L, but having an already trained dog would be more than okay!

annieq

Postby annieq » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:35 pm

SportsFan wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Nothing to add about the housing, but did want to add that I've been to most of them and they've all been really good.

I've seen the inside of one 1BR apartment, and it was quite nice. The only complaint I've heard is regarding noise from a restaurant below.

For those just getting in: Congrats!

I wanted to share my two cents about housing: I was living in the South before law school and only visited Philly for ASW last year. I did all of my apartment searching through PadMapper & Craigslist during the early summer and was able to have my parents check some places out for me when they were in the city one weekend. I had a place by the end of June in University City, literally a 5-minute [speed]walk from the law school. <$1100 for a 2BR/1BA. It's not swank by any standards, but it works.

I feel like most people prefer Center City, though, especially after 1L year.

I know a few 1Ls who brought their dogs with them. Definitely doable.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Emmy213 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Phew good to know, thanks! I realized I can't adopt a badass husky and might have to settle for a milder dog :) If only Penny the therapy dog was real....

Wait, she's not real?

Huskies are my favorite dogs but they're just not meant for cities, unfortunately.

violaboy wrote:I actually have a dog, and I was just fine. I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy during 1L, but having an already trained dog would be more than okay!

You know who had the puppy, right? Props to her for raising that crazy little lady. She is adorable though!

Emmy213

Postby Emmy213 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:21 pm

I think this just solidified my decision to adopt a dog instead of buying a puppy... Thanks everyone :D

PennBull wrote:
Emmy213 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Wait, she's not real?

Huskies are my favorite dogs but they're just not meant for cities, unfortunately.

violaboy wrote:I actually have a dog, and I was just fine. I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy during 1L, but having an already trained dog would be more than okay!

You know who had the puppy, right? Props to her for raising that crazy little lady. She is adorable though!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:03 pm

After researching for a couple weeks, I've been able to to get a decent sense of the areas. It looks like there is much more (bars/restaurants) in Center City vs University City. My price limit is $1300 a month. I'd prefer a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm willing to walk further (up to 25 mins), if that means a nicer place. Is the public transportation to the law school from Center City reliable and quick? Are there any places in Center City that you guys know of that might be a good fit? From what I can tell, many 1 bedrooms in CC are more than 1300 a month. Thanks!

Penn_Law_Q

Postby Penn_Law_Q » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 pm

1L here,

I sent out 120-150 letters covering 3 markets for judicial internships right before Christmas. Only got grades requests, rejections and "we don't take interns". Should I be worried that I have no interview requests? Hopefully a 2L or 3L can help out.

I also am worried about my grades! It seems like it is going to be random.

North

Postby North » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 am

Last edited by North on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 am

TunnelVision wrote:After researching for a couple weeks, I've been able to to get a decent sense of the areas. It looks like there is much more (bars/restaurants) in Center City vs University City. My price limit is $1300 a month. I'd prefer a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm willing to walk further (up to 25 mins), if that means a nicer place. Is the public transportation to the law school from Center City reliable and quick? Are there any places in Center City that you guys know of that might be a good fit? From what I can tell, many 1 bedrooms in CC are more than 1300 a month. Thanks!

For a 1 BR in that price range east of the river look in Grad Hospital, south of South St. down to Federal or so, in the low 20s. Center City 1 BRs might be mostly out of your price range but you could find a studio if you're cool with that.

North

Postby North » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Last edited by North on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”